Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Making FPS / Resolution / Shutter Presets.

Asher Vast

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2014
Messages
120
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I'm looking for a good way to make presets for different frame rate / resolution / shutter speed combos I often use.

For example:

My goal is to be able to quickly switch from [24fps, 1/50, 5K] to [120fps, 1/120, 4K] with a single button push.

As we speak, I'm using a hack to create the presets where I save ALL (Don't actually want all but no way around it) the camera settings into a preset and label it the fps. I then create a separate preset for each fps where I dial in the correct shutter and resolution for that fps. While this does work, it also carries over ALL other settings I don't want to change such as white balance, tint, etc so I have to change them to my current white balance, tint etc each time I use this method which adds an extra steps.

Current Softkey config:

A = 24fps 5K, 1/50
B = 50fps 5K, 1/100
C = 120fps 4K, 1/120

Has anyone figured out a good way of doing this so that only the settings I want changed are carried over through the preset? Thanks!
 
I believe this is what I'm doing already. The problem is that if I make some minor changes to my compression, white balance, etc then hit the preset button to change my framerate, all those changes I just made to white balance, compression and tint are reset to the values made in the preset but I don't want those values to change, I just want the frame rate, shutter and resolution to change and not anything else. It's starting to look like that's not an option on a Red which is surprising to me.
 
You can do that.
When you create the preset you need to select only the various parameters you want to save/recall instead of adding everything

In your case just add resolution, frame rate and shutter speed.
 
To be more precise if you are using latest firmware ... when creating your preset (with camera set to desired resolution / fps / shutter) just add only those 3 'parameters' from the PROJECT tab :

"Exposure Target time" (for shutter)
"Record Format" (for resolution setting)
"Sensor frame rate"

Save preset, set your camera to your other desired settings and repeat... then assign button / soft keys to those presets and you will be good.
 
I'll give that a try! Thanks Mikael!
 
Mikael, I gave that a try and it worked perfectly. This is going to save us a lot of time on set. Thank you!
 
Mikael, I gave that a try and it worked perfectly. This is going to save us a lot of time on set. Thank you!

you are welcome, glad it worked !
 
Back
Top