Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

LATITUDE-SIDEKICK MODULE

And yes- I'm in Vegas, operating on UK time :o

Thanks for that!
Another one : as we order, the cables aren't made for the shorter necessity of the setup. The thumbwheel cable is 1m long for example. Is it possible to have shorter cables when it ships even if we order today with the standard length? Motor calbe could be as short as 20cm (right angle to straight) instead of 60cm for example.

Pat
 
Thanks for that!
Another one : as we order, the cables aren't made for the shorter necessity of the setup. The thumbwheel cable is 1m long for example. Is it possible to have shorter cables when it ships even if we order today with the standard length? Motor calbe could be as short as 20cm (right angle to straight) instead of 60cm for example.

Pat

They will be shorter yes! I think they are 40cm for motors
 
So excited about this (and +1 on the shorter cables)... @Kris we pre-ordered 2x Latitude modules as well as just bought the thumbwheel and pre-ordered the Sidekick as soon as the email came through (we got one direct from you guys)... I don't think we ever saw a 10% discount on anything we ordered, am I missing something?
 
my problem with ordering is it says in dollars its $995 on the home page, but when i have in my cart its 970 pounds, so i think that's about double, am i doing something wrong?
 
What lens motors do this work with? I got word that you can control real cine-lenses with fool control through this, but the motor that's sold in the kit with latitude is a bit over my budget at the moment.
 
970 pounds is with cables I think.
i dont know about that because its asking me to add cables for 70 pounds each.
i still cant figure out if this works with other handsets then rt motions, i need something that will work with whatever shows up on set.
 
Hi!!

Actually it'd TBC whether we will put WIFI inside... It is not certain that it will be any better than the camera WIFI! So, wifi is NOT a feature in the current plan. The camera has WIFI afterall :)

+1 I'm guessing most of us work in ad-hoc mode. I doubt this is something RED can improve much through software as I think the reliability issues are stemming from a WiFi antenna located inside the body which makes for a very weak signal. The WiFi capability is perfect in implementation - it's just a range issue. I don't think this is something RED needs to specifically focus on, they've opened up the capability and it works flawless within the range limitations, which I'm more than happy to accept and let them focus on other camera performance and ergonomic issues.

I'm hoping RT Latitude gets us some more rock solid Wifi performance. Likely see a lot of other innovations in this area too.

Hello Kris,

It seems that the Weapon Wifi hasn't a great range. I didn't test it yet but I bet if your Sidekick module has it it would perform better with an appropriate antenna.

Pat
 
i dont know about that because its asking me to add cables for 70 pounds each.
i still cant figure out if this works with other handsets then rt motions, i need something that will work with whatever shows up on set.


Uhhh yeah, it's not for that.

It's for using with RT Motion hand Controllers +Motors , or Fool Control app.


You might be looking for something more like an OMOD Cvolution or something, but even that is more for C Motion compatible systems.
 
my problem with ordering is it says in dollars its $995 on the home page, but when i have in my cart its 970 pounds, so i think that's about double, am i doing something wrong?

OK, so it's...

LATITUDE-MDR-M (standalone) - £650 (~ USD$995, €900)

LATITUDE-SIDEKICK Module (for DSMC2) - £825 (~ USD$1,200, €1,050)

*Plus* cables and accessories... You may already have a lemo00b.4 to lemo00b.4 (CTRL) or Power cables (Lemo 0B.2)

If you order direct from our website, yes it's in GBP and your bank or paypal will convert. We will soon be resellers, and it will actually be the $995 or $1200 or whatever as quoted above :)

Kris
 
I still cant figure out if this works with other handsets then rt motions, i need something that will work with whatever shows up on set.

Doesn't work that way unfortunately, manufacturers don't want to work together :( Or to rephrase- the established players wouldn't dream of making life any easier for us new guys, because we're snapping at their heels with great products for less money ;)

ONE EXCEPTION! RED. It looks 'likely' that I'll be able to support the RED THC. No promises, I haven't done all the work yet as I'm concentrating on our core product release. But if it's possible, I'll do it.
 
Great design! you guys were really inspired on this one !

2 quick questions:

1) Does it need external power even when used only for internal focus control with EF lenses ?
If yes, would the power from the USB output of the jetpack be enough?
(Apparently this is possible with the MDR-M, would be great if it works on this one as well.)

2) About the clearance of the antenna, would it allow the use of a top-plate or other accessories mounted on the top of the camera?
It 's hard to tell just looking at the 3d rendering.
 
Last edited:
Great design! you guys were really inspired on this one !

2 quick questions:

1) Does it need external power even when used only for internal focus control with EF lenses ?
If yes, would the power from the USB output of the jetpack be enough?
(Apparently this is possible with the MDR-M, would be great if it works on this one as well.)

2) About the clearance of the antenna, would it allow the use of a top-plate or other accessories mounted on the top of the camera?
It 's hard to tell just looking at the 3d rendering.



1) Yes! You can power from USB... you'd need a USB-to-2pin lemo cable. Motors won't work (i.e. they won't even attempt to move), but all the internal focus stuff with EF lenses, control of shutter, iso, run/stop.... all will work fine!

2) Yes it's 0.5mm BELOW flush with the camera body... Bob G checked the wooden camera top-plate with the monitor socket, it fits!

Kris
 
1) Yes! You can power from USB... you'd need a USB-to-2pin lemo cable. Motors won't work (i.e. they won't even attempt to move), but all the internal focus stuff with EF lenses, control of shutter, iso, run/stop.... all will work fine!

2) Yes it's 0.5mm BELOW flush with the camera body... Bob G checked the wooden camera top-plate with the monitor socket, it fits!

Kris

Thanks Kris, will preorder right away !
 
Hi!!

1) I'm assuming that you'll need the external CTRL. I'll continue to talk to the RED tech team- if it can be done RIGHT, we'll do it. But I'd say, more unlikely than likkely.

2) Yes, absolutely! It will be a big old lump of machined aluminium which will definitely be rigid enough. I need to spec some good captive bolts- they may end up titanium for extra strength (since they need to be 20mm longer than the stock ones... We'll test heavily



Actually it'd TBC whether we will put WIFI inside... It is not certain that it will be any better than the camera WIFI! So, wifi is NOT a feature in the current plan. The camera has WIFI afterall :)

Sorry for digging this old thread, but I remember reading the side handle would not work with the sidekick latitude, and when checked with the search tool, I came across this. Is there a definitive answer ? Will we be able to attach that gorgeous DSMC² Red side handle through the Latitude Sidekick ?
 
Back
Top