Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

IBC - GPU Build REDCINE-X Beta 21

Trying to make a decision between getting a Titan and a GTX780 or GTX770 (with a optional second/third card, as soon as RCX does multi-gpu), one question came up: how important is the size of memory on the graphics-card? A Titan does have 6GB, a 780 only up to 3GB and a 770 up to 4GB. Two of those lower end cards would beat one Titan as long as the less amount of memory isn't going to slow them down.
 
I'm attempting too to use my AJA Kona-3G card for dual-link 1080 output over SDI. As well as with past build 18 alpha I cannot get sdi signal with redcine x on my sdi monitor.

Hmmm. It is working with my old Kona 3. (And it has always worked fine with RCX 18.) The first time I started up RCX 21 it semed to take a while to finally ouput to the Kona ... like RCX was looking for the card or something? I exited and re-started RCX and it output just fine. You may want to try to output at 8bit rather than 10bit and see if that makes a difference and make sure that the Kona is set to the exact frame rate of your footage. Good luck ... it should work.

_____________________________
Scarlet X # 1859 “Bettie Page”
“… preparing to ‘whip’ the competition …”

Zeiss Lenses:

CY 21/2.8
ZF 28/2.0
CY 35-70/3.4
CY 50/1.4
ZF100/2.0
CY 135/2.8

Nikon Lenses:
G 14-24/2.8
G 24-70/2.8
D 80-200/2.8

Tokina Lenses:

11-16/2.8
 
Since Red has a good relationship with Adobe. Adobe just incorporated 6K into Premiere... can you imagine dual gpu support on RCX & Premiere? I see more happy people down the road.
 
Definitely limited to 32 cores, I can run multiple instances of RCX, the first will use the first 32 cores, the second instance uses the second 32 cores

If I run 4 instances I can get 100% CPU usage, but things go wacky fast.

Probably related, if I disable GPU support, then it only uses 16 cores.

Memory limit is not accurately enforced, If I limit it to 64GB, RCX ends up using about 80GBs

Could it be on windows your compiling against WOW64 and not WIN32 api that supports processor groups?

GPU-Z reports .5gb memory usage and 30-55% GPU load during 1/2 playback, 2.4GB memory usage and load jumps around a lot 70-98% with Full playback, Epic 5k FF.

This system has 3x GTX 680 4gb cards and disk io is from an areca 1882ix24 ssd raid thats about 3.5GBs read.

Also, Decklink 4K extreme output is broken. Output is just black, 4K or 1080.

I could be talked into letting you borrow the 4p system for a little while to debug, where are we on the Dragon upgrade list :devil: ?


Christopher: you wanna send us that system to debug? :) We don't have a 64-thread system, but I promise we're not artificially limiting it to 32.
Your limit is likely coming from somewhere else (assuming there's no bug). What graphics card do you have in your system? You'd probably have to go to a multi-GPU setup (once RCX supports that) so the GPU card is not the bottleneck for the decode (assuming you have a Titan or something in there). You can use GPU-Z to see how much GPU is in use.
You mention it's not disk I/O, but how much bandwidth do you have? Depending on your clip you could easily need 1GB/s of bandwidth to keep 64 threads busy
 
I installed this and played back an Epic clip, and my startup disk immediately filled. dtrace didn't show any IO except for reading the r3d file. ~/Library/Application Support/red/RedCineX only has 5MB of data. /Library/Application Support/red/RedCineX only has 70MB of data. Nothing in /tmp. No other obvious red flags.

Is this a coincidence or does this build use disk space in a different way than previous builds?

tia,
-n
 
Wow. I'm playing back 5K HD at full debayer in real time with this build. I have a RED Rocket, nVidia GTX 680, GTX 580, with the GUI on the 680 and the 580 selected for OpenCL. This build is making me very, very happy. Thank you.
 
Will we be able to accelerate footage via using a titan (etc) card in a thunderbolt enabled external enclosure?
 
Will we be able to accelerate footage via using a titan (etc) card in a thunderbolt enabled external enclosure?

I think the answer to that is that nothing short of a desktop class CPU will be able to handle this type of decoding anyway. You'll probably never be in a situation where Thunderbolt is the limiting factor at least until 100 gigabit Thunderbolt comes out and mobile processors are more powerful.
 
ohhhhhh thats sweet :-) with just one 580 GTX 3gb i can play 3k in full AMAZING :D thx for the update love it cheer janosch
 
I think the answer to that is that nothing short of a desktop class CPU will be able to handle this type of decoding anyway. You'll probably never be in a situation where Thunderbolt is the limiting factor at least until 100 gigabit Thunderbolt comes out and mobile processors are more powerful.

I have been able to accelerate footage via a redrocket in a thunderbolt enclosure at more than acceptable speeds without using much cpu at all. My question was, will putting another video card in this enclosure give similar performance?
 
I have been able to accelerate footage via a redrocket in a thunderbolt enclosure at more than acceptable speeds without using much cpu at all. My question was, will putting another video card in this enclosure give similar performance?

That's because the Red Rocket is a FPGA designed specifically to decode R3Ds by itself. This is GPU-accelerated decoding, not straight GPU decoding. http://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...-REDCINE-X-)&p=1247237&viewfull=1#post1247237
 
Last edited:
Wow, Amazing features, with my GTX 760 I can now play the 4K footage's normal. great job RED.
 
Tested on a Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7 3730k 6-cores, 8GB of RAM, Nvidia GTX 560, 3 HDD's in Raid 0.

5KWS 25fps REDCODE 7:1 = 1/2 debayer faster than 25fps, when the file is loaded. Full debayer seems like 20 frames.
4KHD 25fps REDCODE 7:1 = Full debayer faster than 25fps, when the file is loaded.

I just updated my Nvidia drivers, even with the lastest functioning drivers it's really buggy right now.

Can't wait for the SDK on Adobe Mercury engine and the Cuda update. Most of workstations should be able to do a at least a 1/2 debayer.
I'm installing it at the office on monday. It would be nice on the Xeon + quadro 5000 + Gtx580. I'm guessing 5KFF realtime at full debayer.
 
Back
Top