Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

IBC - GPU Build REDCINE-X Beta 21

I am using Mac Book Pro Retina.My graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M .But Red Cine X show me like, this 'RCX does not support intel devices for Open CL'.I am using RCX 22.1.312.Please help


Thanks
Sunil Prem
 
JI have just tested exports on my machine - 6 core/32GB/680TX. I can export 4k full debayer in less than real time, which is great. My question with the latest Redcine is whether it is the graphics card that is now doing the work or is my processor & memory significantly helping this?
 
JI have just tested exports on my machine - 6 core/32GB/680TX. I can export 4k full debayer in less than real time, which is great. My question with the latest Redcine is whether it is the graphics card that is now doing the work or is my processor & memory significantly helping this?

Your six core is definitely pushing more work towards the card which helps vs using a four core. Basically, you want to keep that GPU busy with more work. A 680 has 4GB, so that is enough ram to probably do even 5K full debayer, maybe at 1/2 at least. Memory would help with multi-tasking, so the more you have the more tasking you can do.
 
I am using Mac Book Pro Retina.My graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M .But Red Cine X show me like, this 'RCX does not support intel devices for Open CL'.I am using RCX 22.1.312.Please help


Thanks
Sunil Prem

You need to make sure you have the discrete NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M activated, the macs swap between intel graphics and NVIDIA graphics on these models. To fix this go to energy saver preferences and select "High Performance" under the "graphics" option in the top left of the window. If your doing anything graphics intensive you should really use the 650M so I just leave it on all the time unless I am saving power while on the go.
 
because Nvidia has always been better than AMD/ATI.
Apple is trying to force OpenCL because of there deals with AMD and it has nothing to do with which is better OpenCL or CUDA.

I'm still pissed the Mac Pro's didn't get Nvidia Graphics....the AMD's in it are top notch and thats fine but for a top of the line computer with soddered in graphics cards (well close enough) you don't cheap out and go be friend to the poor man (aka AMD) just because you got them cheaper. OpenCL is the future and it will be good but for now CUDA is just more mature. Once OpenCL is top notch then it will be down to AMD to keep its drivers updated better and it won't matter but for now Nvidia and CUDA is the way to go.
 
seems that I run faster in OpenCL now than CUDA. Do you have to download drivers for OpenCL in Mavericks?

I'm still pissed the Mac Pro's didn't get Nvidia Graphics....the AMD's in it are top notch and thats fine but for a top of the line computer with soddered in graphics cards (well close enough) you don't cheap out and go be friend to the poor man (aka AMD) just because you got them cheaper. OpenCL is the future and it will be good but for now CUDA is just more mature. Once OpenCL is top notch then it will be down to AMD to keep its drivers updated better and it won't matter but for now Nvidia and CUDA is the way to go.
 
A 7990 is actually 2x7970's on a single card, and shows up to the OS as 2 cards. We don't yet support multiple GPUs. Additionally, we've run into some issues with AMD's HD 7900 series that causes them to run much slower than they would otherwise. We're working on resolving that issue with AMD now, but there's no ETA on when they'll be delivering a fix for end users.

That said, I have a 7970 GHz Edition at home and love it :)

Hey Grant,

Has Red overcome some of the issues found with AMD 7900 series card in relation to RCx? What sort of capabilities does 7990 have now on RCx vs the likes of Titan/690/680?

thanks

Unfortunately, AMD still hasn't publicly released the fix for the issue we found.

Is this only in Windows or only in OS X, or is it in both? And were there potentially fixes for this in Windows 8.1 or OS X Mavericks 10.9.0 or 10.9.1 (or coming on 10.9.2)?
 
seems that I run faster in OpenCL now than CUDA. Do you have to download drivers for OpenCL in Mavericks?

Nope, no need, seems to work right out of the box unlike cuda. I never installed anything and my opencl is live in RCx Pro.
 
Actually, let me correct myself. It seems after installing the CUDA drivers, the OpenCL ones came with it automagically. Look at the screenshot.

39mPaon.png
 
I'm still pissed the Mac Pro's didn't get Nvidia Graphics....the AMD's in it are top notch and thats fine but for a top of the line computer with soddered in graphics cards (well close enough) you don't cheap out and go be friend to the poor man (aka AMD) just because you got them cheaper. OpenCL is the future and it will be good but for now CUDA is just more mature. Once OpenCL is top notch then it will be down to AMD to keep its drivers updated better and it won't matter but for now Nvidia and CUDA is the way to go.

Most benchmarks seems to favour the W9000 cards... I think it's a wise move by Apple. OpenCL are starting to get ready, and this will push OpenCL as _the_ industry standard for GPU calculations. Competition between nVidia and AMD in the pro spectrum has not been really possible before...
 
Back
Top