Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

I love the master primes, BUT...

"a few days after i returned them, i got a call from Birns that apparently one of the lenses had been dropped."

There's your answer there... Why did it take a few days?
 
Well I'm not an Arri certified lens technician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Here is a little food for thought.
To even further cut down on lens breathing from previous lens designs, Zeiss designers switched from a single floating element to dual floating elements in the design of the Master Primes. While this makes for a great looking picture through the focus range,
it also means that if the lens is "thwacked" at just the right angle with enough force,
the elements can become misaligned.
 
There's your answer there... Why did it take a few days?

to be fair to the rental place, i returned them on a saturday, and the lens guy does not come until monday, but the producer had the same issue, because they did visually inspect them when i brought them back, so it was a surprise. but that is how they normally do it anyway, and it's in the contract that we signed. the producer was unreasonable about that, and i got stuck with the bill.
 
Well I'm not an Arri certified lens technician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Here is a little food for thought.

Just fell off my chair ! LOL!:w00t:

Now serioulsy...

how do i know that the lenses where projected before i took them. how long before, maybe something happened from when they projected them to when i took them. see, we did a visual inspection when we picked them up, but we would have never thought it necessary to project them before taking them, why would we?

I understand the frustration, its not of everyone's knowledge on how to carry a lens. There is a way, but not everyone has the proper elements would it be a case a foam or an air bubble. They are even supposed to be carried with the focus ring in infinity and wide open to avoid this kind of mishaps. I have seen the MP working here in the worst case scenario and they have looked very robust (and heavy BTW). I would say that what happened to you was pure bad luck but I appreciate your sharing so that we all know what could happen in that kind of situation and what to revise whenever we rent stuff. Thanks.
 
Back
Top