Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

How to make the RODE VIDEO MIC PRO working with Scarlet/Epic

this has been driving me nuts since i first got my RED. Since no plug n play 3.5mm mics work, i just wish red would make one. I need scratch audio. i just trashed yet ANOTHER scratch mic trying to get something to work... bahhh humbug.
 
The rode MicPro is the best sounding scratch mic. Yes it;s a big bigger than a button mic but the gains from using this one is so much better. The internal battery eliminates the need to use the cameras gain which is really noisy.

If you have the Rode MicPro, all you need for a light setup is this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/516259-REG/Hosa_Technology_YMM_492_Stereo_Mini_Female_to.html

516259.jpg


You can also use the WC A-Box but that adds more weight.
 
wow this is great, anyone know where i can grab one in the uk?
the B&H cable will cost $95 to the uk for a $3.42 cable :/
 
wow this is great, anyone know where i can grab one in the uk?
the B&H cable will cost $95 to the uk for a $3.42 cable :/

I have been looking for a long time and have not found any I'm afraid. My plan has been to solder one myself though, it shouldn't be THAT hard.
I would like to point out a warning towards cheaply made audio cables. They break easily so its really worth having good parts.

Another little tip with audio cables is to tape them solid. These days I tape all connections that could get lose in all gear.
I would also recommend to not mod the mic because its really handy with smaller cameras like our Canon 5D.
/Andreas
 
AndreasOberg; said:
I would also recommend to not mod the mic because its really handy with smaller cameras like our Canon 5D.
/Andreas

Moding the mic as I have instructed will have no effect on its useability with other cameras.
The mic is mono - but it sends the same signal to each of its two connections on the stereo plug.
You are essentially recording twice the same data. This is also the reason why the mic doesn't work with RED without the modification.
RED is using balanced connection identical to XLR, but in a mini-jack port.
It is +/-/g. But because the signal is identical - it basically substracts itself - leaving you with the electric humm...
Once modified - it will work just fine with 5D and the likes, but it will simply just pass the data to the right channel.
As it is mono - you can simply copy the same data into the left channel and you will get identical "recording" as you would get with an unmodified mic...

:sifone: Peter
 
Moding the mic as I have instructed will have no effect on its useability with other cameras.
The mic is mono - but it sends the same signal to each of its two connections on the stereo plug.
You are essentially recording twice the same data. This is also the reason why the mic doesn't work with RED without the modification.
RED is using balanced connection identical to XLR, but in a mini-jack port.
It is +/-/g. But because the signal is identical - it basically substracts itself - leaving you with the electric humm...
Once modified - it will work just fine with 5D and the likes, but it will simply just pass the data to the right channel.
As it is mono - you can simply copy the same data into the left channel and you will get identical "recording" as you would get with an unmodified mic...

:sifone: Peter
I forgot to mention I'm actually using this mic which is a stereo mic so its a bit different. Its an XY mic as far as I know. so I actually do need the stereo female to dual male mono.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/450170-REG/Rode_STEREO_VIDEOMIC_Stereo_VideoMic_Camera.html

/Andreas
 
Peter, would you please post a picture of your Epic with audio recorders?
 
Hi Will! I do not attach audio recorders to my camera - they are always with the audio recordist in his bag... ;o)
If I am doing solo stuff in remote locations I still handle the recorder separately from the camera - usually attached to a small compact tripod.
The RED's audio recording capabilities are good enough for most stuff that is going to end on the internet (which is increasingly larger amount of work in the commercials industry), all you need is a decent mic.
If you are concerned about the camera noise - you can mount the mic on a noga arm further away from the body - and even have a small audio-shield made to be put between the camera and the mic.

For me - it is either the RODE on my cam - and if that does not do - dedicated audio recordist it is...

:sifone: Peter
 
Ha! So you do put the mic on your camera. That's what I'm interested in seeing.

For me - it is either the RODE on my cam - and if that does not do - dedicated audio recordist it is...

:sifone: Peter
 
Thanks Peter. I was thinking about grabbing a button mic but heard about the Rode and curious how you are mounting it. Thanks for doing that.

Will - mic yes, recorder no. You were asking pics with recorder on camera - I don't do that. If you want pic with mic on camera - I got plenty. Will post when I get home tomorrow...

:sifone: Peter
 
Back
Top