Aaron Newsome
Well-known member
- Joined
- May 26, 2009
- Messages
- 336
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
Plane ticket? Wha?
The first R1 buyers all flew out to Red to get the Red carpet treatment and pick up their cams, meet Jim, swap old war stories, etc.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: this_feature_currently_requires_accessing_site_using_safari
Plane ticket? Wha?
I don't think RED owners get any purchase priority on Scarlet.
They better not they already have a camera!
Well the doubters were right. I thought I was in for the wait but the trigger finger proved to be too sensitive. The scarlet fund has been raided, emptied no less, for a Viper. I came across a deal I couldn't pass for a Viper and I picked one up on Sunday.
Red's cameras are awesome no doubt but the Viper is certainly an accomplished rig in it's own right. Since I've owned the Viper, I've had some conversations with some folks who've convinced me that this camera will give just about *anything* a run for it's money, including RED, Genesis, F23, etc.
I'm actually feeling pretty good about it now. I sent it off to Grass Valley to have them go through the camera completely but I'll get it back soon. All I have to do is get a recorder for it and I'm all set.
Instead of waiting, I'll be shooting! Very soon. And then when the scarlet comes out, I'll probably get one anyway.
Button certainly was shot on the Viper, as was Zodiac, amongst others. Good camera, and no doubt!
If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay and what did you get for it?
Cheers,
Dom.
I paid a few thousand less for the Viper (used) than what a RED One body costs new. $10k of that was in cash and the rest in trade. I just happened to have a bunch of stuff the guy wanted.
What a great deal! Was it in good working order? So essentially you gave him $10k + a few thousand worth of equipment for a Viper?
One thing I am not sure I fully understand, maybe it's not really known, I don't know...
Is there ANY advantage that the RED One has over an S35 5K Scarlet for instance? It seems to me that the Scarlet would be superior in every respect, I mean the top two Scarlet models both that is. I'm only wondering because let's say that RED said, look, it's going to be another 18 months before the Scarlet comes out, we had major setbacks, etc., then I might somehow be convinced to get a RED One if it wasn't basically obsoleted by a cheaper, better camera. But in my research at least it seems there's no advantage at all to having a $17,500 4K camera over a $7,000 5K camera. It basically seems like the RED One, while not being "obsolete," will certainly become overpriced comparatively. Unless there is something I'm just not understanding, in which case I'd obviously love to know...
Frame rates is basically the only thing the RedOne is superior at then the S35. The RedOne can do up to 120 and the S35 Scarlet can only do 72. Plus the S35 does not include the I/O module, ect. So when you add that stuff to the price of the S35 scarlet it would probably be more like $9-10 thousand dollar camera compared to a $17,500 one.
Still a great great deal for what you get out of the S35 scarlet.
saved? How about -$30k from student debt?
KO
-That reminds me of mine! :emote_headwall: $87,000 in student debt! If film school was a little bit less