Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

How much do you have saved so far?

eventually i'm thinking about a new camera this year, thought about a HPX300, EX3, or HD700 .......... right now I'm thinking about the fixed lens Scarlet ......... stock markets hit me too, so nothing saved yet :-(
 
My Real Name is Thomas Mark Schaefer and I have saved enough for a S35 brain, power, memory, and either a Canon lens adapter (I hope) or worst case scenario, a Red zoom. Just lurking, waiting to make a deposit and take my place in line.
 
I've got about $8k-12k set aside. But it's not camera specific so it grows and shrinks as I find other things to spend it on. I've got about a year I suspect before RED will be accepting my money so I'm not stressing over the day to day ledger sheet.

I'm holding out for the FF35 Scarlet. I mostly want it for the additional dynamic range. Also I have managed to talk myself out of buying a digital camera for the last 10 years so this be my first digital camera. If it's Red + (2-3 Stops) + FF35 then I'll be more than happy to finally say good bye to my trusty Canon F1 and say farewell to film.

Also you could say "But a S35 + D5 is cheaper" and that's a reasonable argument. But you lose 1 stop of DR and I personally like to travel really light. I wouldn't want to lug around a D5 and a Scarlet. Nor would I want to leave a camera in a hotel or rental car if I'm traveling.
 
Nothing bought the 5DM2, tired of waiting to be honest there not even a firm release date lets be real here guys.
 
Nothing bought the 5DM2, tired of waiting to be honest there not even a firm release date lets be real here guys.

I don't see the 5D as a professional camera solution. It can work in a few situations, but it is very limited. If people need to buy a camera now there are far better solutions than the 5D for almost every serious application.
 
I have 9 thousand saved right now in general but I will probably use that as a down payment on a house. I'm getting married in August!

I sold my DVX, first generation, a while back and got about 1,100 for it.

I think the 2/3 cinema is what I would want to get. Would fit my needs and I really want to be able to shoot 120fps.

I've been so tempted to buy a 5DMII but I"m still holding out for the 2/3.
 
$carlet

$carlet

Wish I hadn't spent over 15k on music gear this year... Definitely saving for a 2/3 Scarlet Body and Accessories. This would be my first motion picture camera purchase in my life. Looking forward to experimenting with Film. Yes, I know i'm in over my head. Thats how I roll.

4K saved so far...
 
Just shy of 3 grand. Should to have 4 saved up by the time Fixed rolls out. That way I can buy the "complete" kit and hopefully a shoulder mount and some pistol grips.

I also want to get a follow focus and mattebox but one thing at a time right college kids?! ;)
 
I got about $3,200 :( at least Ill be able to stare at the scarlet "brain" for a while haha
 
This week alone, I've sold:

* My pool table ($500)
* An old G5 Mac Tower ($500)
* An old Alpine car amplifier ($100)
* A busted iPhone 3G with cracked screen ($350)

Add another $1450 to the Scarlet fund. The Scarlet is coming people,... EVERYTHING MUST GO!
 
This week alone, I've sold:

* My pool table ($500)
* An old G5 Mac Tower ($500)
* An old Alpine car amplifier ($100)
* A busted iPhone 3G with cracked screen ($350)

Add another $1450 to the Scarlet fund. The Scarlet is coming people,... EVERYTHING MUST GO!

Same here. Added 1200€ via Ebay to my fund :-) (Okay, the 1550 for the GH1 were sub'd from it before, but it seems to be enough)
 
This week alone, I've sold:

* My pool table ($500)
* An old G5 Mac Tower ($500)
* An old Alpine car amplifier ($100)
* A busted iPhone 3G with cracked screen ($350)

Add another $1450 to the Scarlet fund. The Scarlet is coming people,... EVERYTHING MUST GO!

How did you sell the broken 3G iphone for $350?
 
I've got rid of my old video equipment today, so I'm up $2,500. :)

I'm aiming at the RED Cinema, now I (if nothing changes) can afford the brain!.
 
How did you sell the broken 3G iphone for $350?

Hey Birns and Sawyer. I was there for the last event. Awesome rigs by the way.

There is a guy in Orange County (where I live), he repairs cracked iPhone screens for $60. Nice little business he has going. He does about 10 a day minimum and he does it while you wait. Takes about 15 minutes.

I was sick of starring at the busted iphone. It was only about two weeks old when I dropped it. So I took it to him so he could fix it and I would put it on ebay and get $400 for it. Well he saw it, tested it (no problems except shattered glass). He took the shattered glass off it and offered me $350 on the spot. I netted $10 than I probably could have got from ebay!

It's worth it to him since he only pays about $5 for the glass. A good deal for both of us.

Sorry for being off topic people. Here, I'll get back on topic:

I added about another $500 to the Scarlet fund last week.
 
just sold my Canon XL2 for $2,000 (not bad, plus I made some great shorts and a feature film on it, served its purpose...BTW I paid only $2300 for it back in 2007, so not a bad loss)

I wanna have at least 30K for the Scarlet Cinema and mini primes, what ever is left over is my production fund for my next feature film. (would like to have 23K or so left over)
 
just sold my Canon XL2 for $2,000 (not bad, plus I made some great shorts and a feature film on it, served its purpose...BTW I paid only $2300 for it back in 2007, so not a bad loss)

I wanna have at least 30K for the Scarlet Cinema and mini primes, what ever is left over is my production fund for my next feature film. (would like to have 23K or so left over)

Wow! $30k for a camera kit? I'm hoping to spend about half that. I think I can do it.
 
I have bought about $2k worth of vintage 16mm lenses to try out on Scarlet Cinema so far.
 
Back
Top