Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

How are you rating the Helium Sensor

steve green

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2012
Messages
1,048
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
Thousand Oaks, Ca
Curious to see how the smart guys are rating the sensor. Do you change your iso based on day exterior/interior or night exterior/interior? For instance, go outside and rate at 320, and watch the clipping like a hawk......have a dark scene and rate at 1280 and watch the noise carefully? Or, is the inverse the better way to go? With the Dragon I would rate it at 800 most of the time, but was never afraid to go to 320 for an exterior. All input is appreciated.
 
I do this as my basis:

phfx_2017_RED8KSensorTest_REDHeliumDragon_ISONotes.jpg


From there if I want a cleaner image I shoot about a stop lower on those recommended ISO ratings. Sometimes more.

If I want crazy highlight retention, more image texture, or shooting in low light I go the other way.
 
I don't mind the finer and less chromatic noise at 8k. I rate 1000 on the kippertie OLPFs and recently had to push as high as 3200 on the standard OLPF for a shoot in a subway station (granted the location and subject accepted a little more grit than other shoots) - I was honestly blown away to have useable 3200 ISO footage. This sensor is incredible. I'm looking forward to shooting on it a lot more to see what it can do.
 
To me helium looks its best when transcoding around 3200iso.
But when doing so its still important that no pixels are exposed back or over exposed. So a nice histogram at 3200 iso and no goal posts is my recommendation to a nice cinematic feel with a beautiful texture for 4k.

Now I dont really like pictures to be like glass so for HD im not to worried to bump iso to 6400 on helium. Again I try to keep lowlights and highlights within the scope of the DR and I rather change exposure than clip at any side. So if thats needed thats what I do and add grain in post to match the base exposure.
 
To me helium looks its best when transcoding around 3200iso.
But when doing so its still important that no pixels are exposed back or over exposed. So a nice histogram at 3200 iso and no goal posts is my recommendation to a nice cinematic feel with a beautiful texture for 4k.

Now I dont really like pictures to be like glass so for HD im not to worried to bump iso to 6400 on helium. Again I try to keep lowlights and highlights within the scope of the DR and I rather change exposure than clip at any side. So if thats needed thats what I do and add grain in post to match the base exposure.

Bjorn, I know you do a lot of post and have lots of hands on experience.....that seems to be very aggressive to rate at 3200. Do you do that even with lots of light?
 
Back
Top