Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Firmware 6.2.44 issues

Is there anyone else out there using the Nikon mounts on the latest firmware and everything is fine ?

Big problems when using Nikon G-series ED glass and last two Firmware releases. Weird noises, sketchy aperture control and inaccurate lens data are among issues found.
 
Big problems when using Nikon G-series ED glass and last two Firmware releases. Weird noises, sketchy aperture control and inaccurate lens data are among issues found.


Thanks Daniel

Can you please raise a case with Red and send them a log file? The more information they have the sooner they can fix this.
 
we need more Nikon love! We need more Nikon love! We need more Nikon love!

:)

David
 
+1 on this David!
I'm experiencing some F-stop recognition issues too with Nikkor G as well as older Nikkor AF Glass; I'm still on the early 6.0 firmware for Scarlet-Dragon.
 
I can see more Nikon love comin, Jarred just posted this on FB:

DSMC NAB Build 6.3.6 - AVID DNXHR and DNXHD recording.
SIGNIFICANT CHANGES SINCE PREVIOUS BUILD v6.2.55
* Added Avid DNxHD/HR Codec support (DSMC2 only)
* Added Apple ProRes playback (DSMC2 only)
* Added Apple ProRes support for FF format (DSMC2 only)
* Added tethered Apple ProRes (DSMC2 only w/ REDVOLT Expander or other gigabit Ethernet compatible module)
* Added high speed file transfer over gigabit Ethernet (DSMC DRAGON, DSMC2)
* Added 3rd party OLPF name and default calibration (DSMC2 only)
* Added control for default curve in split monitoring (DSMC2 only)
* Added REDCAST Module dialog notification when non-UHD format selected (DSMC only)
* Added REDMOTE v9.6.23 (DSMC only)
* Added RCP pass-through support
* Added Lens Info tab to Lens Dialog
* Added Atomos device support to HDMI output
* Added Metadata tab in Lens dialog for manual entry
* Added shortcut assignments to presets
* Added Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
* Added Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II
* Added Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6E ED AF-S VR
* Added Nikon TC-14 III 1.4x Teleconverter
* Added Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 DG OS HSM A1 for Canon
* Added Sigma 24-35mm EF for Canon
* Added Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG HSM OS for Canon
* Added Sigma 24-105mm F/4 DG OS HSM for Canon
* Added Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD for Canon
* Added Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD for Canon
* Added Tamron 28-300mm f3.5-6.3 Macro for Canon
* Fixed Motion Mount settings after power cycle
* Fixed Motion Mount shutter angle spinner values
* Fixed Motion Mount shutter speed with Square or Soft shutter
* Fixed REDMOTE lockout when SLA is displayed
* Fixed timelapse timer when frame count is larger than 1
* Fixed tint value for Auto White Balance
* Fixed PRO I/O Preview (PVW) abbreviation in UI (DSMC only)
* Fixed distorted live audio after playback (DSMC2 only)
* Fixed color and gamma space values in QT metadata (DSMC2 only)
* Removed Lens Calibration menu
* Improved Nikon/Canon lens support
* Improved PL Fujinon/Canon lens support
* Updated in-camera help files
 
That's good news. I heard from support today. They want to test my mount and are shipping me a replacement to that end. I think it comes down to eliminating the possibility of it being a problem. Anyway, they're on it.
 
Hi Andre

Have you tried the new firmware yet ? 6.3.6 ?

Hey Adrian,

No, not yet. I saw it in the Beta section. I am shooting some stuff this and next week, so I don't now when I get a chance to test it. Don't wanna screw things up now.

Also, RED support wrote me, they want to check my mount for further testing, just to eliminate the possibility that there is something wrong with it. I am waiting to get confirmation for the advanced replacement, if and when that happens.

Super excited about the new firmware, sounds very promising. Anybody else tried it??
 
Another idea:

Maybe we should rename this thread to RED Nikon users or Nikon Firmware or something. So that fellow Nikon users find it better? Just an idea. But I think its good to keep it alive for coming issues and new lenses...
 
Another idea:

Maybe we should rename this thread to RED Nikon users or Nikon Firmware or something. So that fellow Nikon users find it better? Just an idea. But I think its good to keep it alive for coming issues and new lenses...

Excellent idea Andre, I just tried to change it but it's not possible.

If any Mods are reading this are you able to change the title ?
 
Hi Adrian and fellow Nikon users,

So I used my lazy sunday and tried out v6.3.6., unfortunately no good news. Same issues like with 6.2.xx, mostly no aperture. I did not try out all my lenses, just 5 of them, only one was able to change iris (the one that don't work on 6.0.44).

I rolled back to 6.0.44 and my SIGMA 18-35 finally got iris control, but after rebooting the camera it was gone for good again. This is so strange. Anyway, back to normal.
 
Thanks for checking that out, Andre. Sorry about the 18-35 but there seems to be some progress. I have to get through this weekend shooting then I'll try out my lenses with the new build and report back.
 
Thanks for checking that out, Andre. Sorry about the 18-35 but there seems to be some progress. I have to get through this weekend shooting then I'll try out my lenses with the new build and report back.

Awesome, Hugh. Looking forward to your results. You never now, maybe something is wrong with my mount and/or its firmware, so its good to hear about your results.
 
Andre

I'm on 6.0.44 and my Sigma 18-35mm 1.8 is working fine......

Hi Adrian,

Just got the replacement mount from RED Irvine, the first good thing my Sigma 18-35 now works flawless. Tested it a few times, changing lenses and restarting the camera. Looks like that issue really came from the mount itself, but I am sure RED will figure out what was wrong when they got my mount back.

So, as soon as I have some time I will give the new firmware another try, you never know. But as of right now I am super happy that everything works. :emote_happyhappy:
 
Good news for on the Sigma 18 - 35, Andre. It is excellent that they were able to find that.

I got a mount from RED to swap out and sent mine back today for testing. I upgraded to v6.2.55 and tested the new mount again with the same results. The f-stop menu showed no values for the Zeiss ZF2s or N/A for one of the Nikons. No aperture control on anything. That's the same problem I've been having. I swapped out the mounts and the problems persisted. I rolled back to v6.0.44 and all works well with the replacement mount.

So I'm still unable to upgrade firmware at this point. I'm not losing any functionality so I'll just stay on it with RED services. I'm sure they'll get it worked out.
 
I am having similar issues. Red sent me a replacement mount and now I have tried 3 of my lenses on every firmware including .44 , .51 and now .55

No aperture control of any kind. Strange since I could kinda get aperture control before on 44 and 51. I am perplexed.
 
Yep. The problem correlates to firmware versions after v6.0.44 for sure.
 
Good news for on the Sigma 18 - 35, Andre. It is excellent that they were able to find that.

I got a mount from RED to swap out and sent mine back today for testing. I upgraded to v6.2.55 and tested the new mount again with the same results. The f-stop menu showed no values for the Zeiss ZF2s or N/A for one of the Nikons. No aperture control on anything. That's the same problem I've been having. I swapped out the mounts and the problems persisted. I rolled back to v6.0.44 and all works well with the replacement mount.

So I'm still unable to upgrade firmware at this point. I'm not losing any functionality so I'll just stay on it with RED services. I'm sure they'll get it worked out.

Thanks for the info Hugh and Peter. They asked me the same, to update to the newer firmware to see what happens. Seems like they are really on the case since we all got a replacement mount these days.
After getting my Sigma running today, I really had some hope for the newer firmware, now I am less excited. Still happy that it is working again, I am curious what was wrong with my mount that this specific lens had issues.

Just went out to my girlfriends hairdresser appointment and filmed it for 3 hours, changing lenses as often as I could to see if everything works (on 6.0.44) and it did. Well, I will try out the newer firmware as well, just in case they send out different mounts to see whats going on. Will post my result as soon as I can.
 
Hi Adrian,

Just got the replacement mount from RED Irvine, the first good thing my Sigma 18-35 now works flawless. Tested it a few times, changing lenses and restarting the camera. Looks like that issue really came from the mount itself, but I am sure RED will figure out what was wrong when they got my mount back.

So, as soon as I have some time I will give the new firmware another try, you never know. But as of right now I am super happy that everything works. :emote_happyhappy:


Hey Andre

Great news you can use your Red properly again!

Thanks for the update, Red in The USA have been in touch and are testing pretty thoroughly.

I'm pretty happy overall with 6.0.44, but it will be interesting to see if the next firmware version resolves these issues.
 
Back
Top