Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

EPIC Reservations Begin...

He he, I so happen to actually make some of the most delicious home Made "Gnocchi di Patate al Ragu'"

Gnocchi is the hardest pasta to get right...not just right but fantastic right.

its like color science :)
 
Gnocchi is the hardest pasta to get right...not just right but fantastic right.

its like color science :)

He he, so true.

That is why I begin with choosing the right Potatoes, Fresh Eggs, Right Flour, and make the mixture by hand, then cut each individual string of dough, and make the Gnocchi one by one, then press gently the fork on them a sprinkle of flour, and in the boiling water they go, while a=on the side I'm already working on the Bolognese, and that one you guys already tasted on the Lasagna.

He he, some time I missed the Restaurant business so much ,I wanted to reopen one just for friends, ha ha.
 
Actually, Upon placing my reservations for my Epic-X cameras, I told Brent, that I will trow the Red Team a Summer party!

Red is always doing Red event for Us with food and all, this time it is We that do a party for them!

Jim, (if not in Fiji) Jarred and the entire Red Team, will get an Italian Extravaganza party to remember or at list their Palate will!

Since I will make this coincide with the coming of my Italian friends (as they too will be coming to take delivery of their Epic-X.

We will have Traditional Original foods brought in from various regions of Italy, Like Sardegna, Umbria, Lazio, Toscana, and what ever the guys are coming from.

Yeah, is time to also give something back to those that always give us so much, it will be a hell of a "WELL DESERVED" party for the Red Team!!

Count on It, hoops did I just sounded like some one we know, he he
Great idea Ketch! I will be your assistant chef.
 
Will my RED ONE that I purchased April 2009 always be worth $17.5k as a trade it to RED if I don't execute an upgrade? So far I've only heard to FF35.... but will it's $17.5k value as a trade in ever go down and when?

My work is 50/50 stllls/motion.... my hope is to upgrade/trade in when the EPIC can replace my stills cameras. FF 6k with 13 stops of DR would do it.
 
Just curious about one point :
If chosing stage 2, we get a $1250 credit on our Red One MX upgrade.
In january, when Jarred announced the start of the MX upgrade program, he told us about a RED Rocket / MX upgrade bundle that would cost $8750.
http://reduser.net/forum/showpost.php?p=536706&postcount=1

So, can we take advantage of both these offers and :
- Chose the stage 2 upgrade path
- Upgrade our Red One to MX
- Buy a RED Rocket card
for $19500 (Stage 2 Epic X) + $8750 (the bundle) - $1250 (Stage 2 credit on MX upgrade) ?
Or are these 2 offers mutually exclusive ?

Could someone at Red clarify this ?
Thanks :smile:
 
The October announcement was updated at some point to indicate that Stage 2 owners can update their R1 to MX (in the text/graphic about all the stages). The bundle with Rocket isn't explicitly referenced, but there's no reason to believe that it wouldn't be available to Stage 2 owners just like everyone else. I believe a number of folks who have already signed up for Stage 2 took advantage of the bundle deal.

- Tim
 
One question: If I decide to sign up for the Stage 2 and is unable to pay for the camera when it becomes available will I have forfeited my chances of going for Stage 3, instead?
 
One question: If I decide to sign up for the Stage 2 and is unable to pay for the camera when it becomes available will I have forfeited my chances of going for Stage 3, instead?

That is the way I understand it. It seems that if you sign up for Stage-2 and pay now, you are committed. When your camera is ready, you will have 30 days to complete the transaction. If you can't, you forfeit your ability to upgrade. I believe it also said on the Stage-2 upgrade page that the deposit is fully refundable, but if you do request a refund, you RED One is still marked as executed and you forfeit your upgrade path.

It seems kinda harsh, but also makes sense. It keeps those who are on the fence or not serious about Stage-2 from holding up others who are ready to go. Definitely not a decision to consider lightly. And you still have some time to decide.

I think the Stage-2 is a great deal for anyone who is using their camera regularly and could benefit to keep their RED One in addition to getting the Epic-X. For those who are not as busy or don't need more than one camera, Stage-3 is probably the better choice. I wouldn't think it wise to choose Stage-2 or Stage-3 based on an estimated delivery time or date. We don't yet know just how fast RED will be able to produce these or ramp up production. It could be quite fast and I would assume it will be fast. We have been told several times that it will be much faster than the RED One. They will also need to have manufacturing in place and running fast to keep up with the demand for Scarlet, which is going to be huge.
 
One question: If I decide to sign up for the Stage 2 and is unable to pay for the camera when it becomes available will I have forfeited my chances of going for Stage 3, instead?

Good question! As far as I an tell/read/guess, the answer is yes. I remember reading("Epic reservations begin") that as soon as you have paid the deposit for stage 2 your RED One is marked as "Executed"
But lets hear it from the horses mouth, please.
 
If you commit now, you will have up to June 1st to pay 5.000USD deposit. Then you'll get 30 days to pay the remainder when your camera is ready. Meaning you still have some months to earn the extra money, and if before delivery you are short of cash, you will still have 30 days to sell your Red 1 with accessories. In other words: are you willing to gamble that the R1 will be worth at least 9.000 USD by the time your Epic is ready to ship? I strongly believe so.
 
From the Epic reservation site:AFTER SUBMITTING THIS ONLINE STAGE 2 ORDER FORM, ANY RED ONE SERIAL NUMBERS USED ON STAGE 2 WILL BE MARKED AS "EXECUTED". SINCE THESE ORDERS WILL BE USED TO DETERMINE PRODUCTION VOLUMES, THE SERIAL NUMBERS WILL REMAIN EXECUTED EVEN IF YOU REQUEST A REFUND FOR YOUR EPIC-X STAGE 2 DEPOSITS. EXECUTED SERIAL NUMBERS CANNOT BE USED ON ANY FUTURE TRADE-INS OR CREDITS.
 
I think it would be a good idea if there was a way to bump that reservation "down" to a Stage 3 instead. That would make sense for everyone including RED. The number of cameras they have to make is still the same and in the end they might end up having more customers. Let's say I sign up for Stage 2 and can't pay when the camera is ready; I'd loose my upgrade path and have to pay $28.000 for an EPIC which I can't since I couldn't pay in the first place. If I had the possibility to bump down to Stage 3 then I could choose if I wanted to trade in my RED ONE and pay the extra $4-5k which should be pretty easy to find in my budget. That way RED still sells me a camera, but there's no way I'd be able to find +$28K in my budget any time soon for a full EPIC.

And let me say that I think it's amazing I can even upgrade in the first place :-D
 
I think it would be a good idea if there was a way to bump that reservation "down" to a Stage 3 instead...
That way RED still sells me a camera...

And let me say that I think it's amazing I can even upgrade in the first place :-D

I'd like to add my support to Tony's suggestion, I understand Red's need to know how many plan to upgrade, as they are making cameras according to orders, however if one can't afford stage 2 and decides to go stage 3 instead, Red are still selling a camera, and we haven't lost the AMAZING DEAL Red is giving us, to upgrade to an Epic-X. It's a win-win situation. If the upgrade path is truely lost, I believe Red will sell less cameras, because people will have lost the credit they are being offered to upgrade, and many will not be able to afford it. Wether we go stage 2 or 3, Red have to make the same number of cameras.

For my part, of course I want to go stage 2, but the situation being what it is, I am hesitant. Production, and rentals have been very slow this year, they've picked up a little bit, but not enough right now to cover the costs of upgrading to an Epic-X. Suddenly the pressure is there to make a choice, I guess that's the conditions to benefit from these great upgrade paths Red are proposing. I love our Red One, I will have it upgraded to M-X. I want to keep it, and I believe having an Epic-X will make us more attractive as a rental house, with the Red One as backup, or as second cam, and for smaller projects with less means. But by signing up now for stage 2, and then not being able to afford the cost, I'm jeopardizing our business. We are a small shop. The Red One has helped us grow, but we are dependant of local productions, and this is not Hollywood...

Cheers,
Damien
 
We are in a similar situation as Damien.

Under normal circumstances we should fairly easily be able to raise the cash necessary to go stage 2, but things being uncertain as they are, especially with the delivery dates, it might just be wiser to go for stage 3, and get a scarlet as a B cam when it becomes available. Of course that also means there would be no point in upgrading the R1 to MX since we'd have to give it back. So I'm pretty sure Red would rather have us go Stage 2.

I'm in no way complaining. Stage 3 was the original deal anyway and is fantastic. Stage 2 is even better, but the current policy makes it a gamble. Only a few days left to decide whether we can afford that gamble. Current events seem to point towards playing it safe...

Not to mention Red keeps churning out fantastic new toys that we want to be able to add to our equipment!
 
I think it would be a good idea if there was a way to bump that reservation "down" to a Stage 3 instead. That would make sense for everyone including RED. The number of cameras they have to make is still the same and in the end they might end up having more customers. Let's say I sign up for Stage 2 and can't pay when the camera is ready; I'd loose my upgrade path and have to pay $28.000 for an EPIC which I can't since I couldn't pay in the first place. If I had the possibility to bump down to Stage 3 then I could choose if I wanted to trade in my RED ONE and pay the extra $4-5k which should be pretty easy to find in my budget. That way RED still sells me a camera, but there's no way I'd be able to find +$28K in my budget any time soon for a full EPIC.

And let me say that I think it's amazing I can even upgrade in the first place :-D

i am against this suggestion...if you know you can have trouble to pay, you should choose stage3.
 
i am against this suggestion...if you know you can have trouble to pay, you should choose stage3.

Would you care to elaborate on exactly why you're against this? Is it purely for opportunistic reasons, then please spare me the explanation.

I will most likely go with Stage 3 myself, but there's a possibility that I might be able to go with Stage 2. The economy is changing day by day and for the smaller players (like myself) there's no way of knowing if I'll have the money for a Stage 3 upgrade by the time the camera ships. I just lost a lot of money because someone who rented my camera for a feature last summer went bankrupt. If all the people who owed me money would just pay up then I wouldn't have a problem committing to Stage 2. Sometimes things just doesn't always work out so it would be nice with some options.

I can understand why RED wouldn't let us go down this path if it was bad for business, but I can't see that it is actually.
 
Hey there, Tony. . . I like your plan. My guess is that RED is trying to strongly incent us to be Stage 2 buyers because they don't want boatloads of RED Ones sitting on their shelves. They would rather us deal with our Ones then them. If we had a definite calendar (which we don't) I might do Stage 2. . . but since we don't, I'll probably go Stage 3.

I'm still waiting for my M-X upgrade email.

:-(

Stephen
 
Back
Top