Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

EPIC QUAD BATTERY MODULE

Awesome video. I don't get why people are complaining about the " dificulty " in swapping modules. It's as easy as changing the PL mount to Canon mount, 4 screws, that get's your module adapter on and off, then adding modules is simpler, connecting the top hing, and quarter turn on the bottum. I can't see changing the Lens mount, and adding all the modules and loading batteries taking more than 5 minutes. And can easily be done at night time with a flash light.

Your right. It was very easy and very secure.
 
So I'm supposed to tell the Steadicam op that I can't remove some modules because the camera that has removable modules shouldn't be reconfigured in the field? I might be missing something here. Will you publish a list of general rules we should follow when using the modules? How fragile are these things? I don't want to break anything.

As a steadicam owner operator, i have to say that turning a little screw a 1/4 turn doesn't seem overly complicated. I remember when I did one of the first hdcam steadicam shots and I had a rack mount down converter mounted on the side of the sled, it took quite a bit of rigging. The next shoot I built a video tap for the sony VF just to get a sd image on my monitor. My guess is the steadicam op will be able to handle it.
 
I think the module system looks crazy good - and that includes the operation of swapping modules on the camera.
 
Can you please release this module soon....currently have two epic x but we cannot use any of the redvolts because side handles are on back orders and battery module is not ready for production...lol... Kinda makes all our redvolts useless right now.....:hand:
 
Last edited:
I think the module system looks crazy good - and that includes the operation of swapping modules on the camera.

this system is beyond cool and I am DEPRESSED to have to send this back tomorrow :( This module IS great and already has a shipping box so i say PLEASE SHIP THESE JARRED :)
like Varuca Salt... "I want my other modules and I want them now daddy!"

Adam... nevermind...:banghead:
 
this system is beyond cool and I am DEPRESSED to have to send this back tomorrow :( This module IS great and already has a shipping box so i say PLEASE SHIP THESE JARRED :)
like Varuca Salt... "I want my other modules and I want them now daddy!"

Adam... nevermind...:banghead:

Yes...PLEASE SHIP THESE JARRED!... ;)
 
As a steadicam owner operator, i have to say that turning a little screw a 1/4 turn doesn't seem overly complicated. I remember when I did one of the first hdcam steadicam shots and I had a rack mount down converter mounted on the side of the sled, it took quite a bit of rigging. The next shoot I built a video tap for the sony VF just to get a sd image on my monitor. My guess is the steadicam op will be able to handle it.

I think Louis CK says it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r1CZTLk-Gk
 
Sorry if this has been answered, but how many Redvolts will be necessary to get through a typical shoot day? Based on specs, 4 Redvolts have approximately the same capacity of one Red Brick. I would never go on a location shoot with less than 4 bricks, but that means 16 Redvolts. That sounds both inefficient and expensive...thoughts?
 
I did a test with recording straight for 64gbs then leaving camera on with out recording,after around 1.5 hours we had two full red volts left.
 
Last week we shot with the RedVolts in Utah (because of the hiking distances we endured we needed to travel light) and burned through on average every 25 minutes, especially when you factor in needed to swap out at 10% capacity or you risk losing your take. This is less than Red specs I believe, though I don't know whether shooting with HDRx (which should be standard on all Epic shoots) means more load on the camera, but in appears to be the case. I could be wrong however.

The charging may be part of the iissue; though there really is no way to tell if the battery is fully charged until you insert into the camera and it gives you a level. We're doing around 4 and a half to 5 hours per battery on the travel charger, which is far from ideal. That means once back at the hotel you get something going immediately and then swap out another sometime just before bed (if you happen to be only shooting daylight hours that is), then sometime before wakeup call you swap out another...

The quad module and quad charger are going to make a big difference but I'd say for any doc shooting (or in the case of our road movie which was very doc-like) you're going to need about 10 in day to remain confident you will get your day. I was turning the camera off immediately after a take to conserve battery power as we were at the bottom of a canyon and had no other way to power other than once we got back to the hotel (an inverter might have alleviated this somewhat but wasn't sure if it would have enough juice to do the job).

The Red Bricks on the other hand do get you much more power...but that BackPack system is both costly and elusive.
 
Thanks Jeremy-
good to know esp for RED newbies like myself trying to figure what battery-type to invest in and their consequences in the field!

Stu Aull
Alaska
 
There's a lot of great things about the Epic, but hands down it's HDRx. Variable frame rates are great too, but if I had to pick one it would be HDRx. It does chew up a ton of media however and I would highly recommend going with those 4 packs of 256 GB's. 128's are just barely making it for us at 2:1 5K at 6:1 compression and HDRx. Phenomenal imagery but you better have the workflow down.
 
Last week we shot with the RedVolts in Utah (because of the hiking distances we endured we needed to travel light) and burned through on average every 25 minutes, especially when you factor in needed to swap out at 10% capacity or you risk losing your take. This is less than Red specs I believe, though I don't know whether shooting with HDRx (which should be standard on all Epic shoots) means more load on the camera, but in appears to be the case. I could be wrong however.

The charging may be part of the iissue; though there really is no way to tell if the battery is fully charged until you insert into the camera and it gives you a level. We're doing around 4 and a half to 5 hours per battery on the travel charger, which is far from ideal. That means once back at the hotel you get something going immediately and then swap out another sometime just before bed (if you happen to be only shooting daylight hours that is), then sometime before wakeup call you swap out another...

The quad module and quad charger are going to make a big difference but I'd say for any doc shooting (or in the case of our road movie which was very doc-like) you're going to need about 10 in day to remain confident you will get your day. I was turning the camera off immediately after a take to conserve battery power as we were at the bottom of a canyon and had no other way to power other than once we got back to the hotel (an inverter might have alleviated this somewhat but wasn't sure if it would have enough juice to do the job).

The Red Bricks on the other hand do get you much more power...but that BackPack system is both costly and elusive.

That's what makes RED great... you can use your Bricks and existing V Mount and simply buy a 1B to 2B adapter and rock the EPIC with bricks on bottom rails. Don't forget VOLT XL are coming too.
 
Thanks Jeremy for the post. I do alot of field work and have been contemplating getting an inverter for the truck so I can charge during the day. Should I be worried about damaging the batteries by using one. I have 4 Red Bricks and the charger that I'll be hanging on to for the epic as a safety backup, but will be moving to the RedVolts for my primary power, so the question applies to both types of batteries. Thanks for any help here.
 
Another flawless shoot with the QUAD and EPIC. Hot swapping with ease and while shooting!

Most likely the last sunny day in Portland for the next 6 months... a fine way to say goodbye to this module... :(

6259026062_ae947a631b_b.jpg
 
it looks like such a pretty weapon.. hmmm.. Bomb, swat rail, AHHH!! We are a RED army! "YES I WILL BUY ANYTHING RED...."
 
It's really not that hard to get hooked on all bits Red. Jarred et al live this thing and I'm really happy they want to kick ass.

Tim -great pic- but it somehow feels kinda naked without a bunch of junk hanging off of it!
 
I reckon that the Redvolt XL are the way to go (with a couple of the smaller ones for the sidehandle). I can't see myself swapping out batteries every 25 mins. There feels deeply regressive.
 
Back
Top