Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

DSMC2 OLED EVF vs Bomb OLED EVF

What, that sucks. From what I know it was only when you use the EVF and LCD together that you loose HDMI.
If you can't use HDMI with the EVF then that just screwed my wireless feed. Its 2016, do we really have to deal with this?
 
It depends on what port your using to feed the evf
 
I am considering purchasing one of these new EVF's with the DSMC2 cable less bracket. For lightweight handheld use in run-and-gun situations, how is the spacing between the camera and the EVF? From the pictures I've seen it looks to be a bit far out from the camera, which would push the camera a bit far out on the shoulder. Anyone have experience with his type of setup? Hopefully I'm just seeing it wrong in the pictures. Anyone have one and care to post a pic of a handheld setup from the front? Thanks in advance.
 
In my opinion it's not really usable when docked to the camera. Get the wooden camera evf mount so u can slide it way forward and whatever distance away from the body you want. Same with the monitor, cableless is cool but not really useful in a normal production environment
 
In my opinion it's not really usable when docked to the camera. Get the wooden camera evf mount so u can slide it way forward and whatever distance away from the body you want. Same with the monitor, cableless is cool but not really useful in a normal production environment

Is it just too far back or also too far out from the camera? I think for my setup the front/back distance looks ok. I'm more concerned with the side/side distance from the body.
 
For any kind of shoulder mounted set up the EVF needs to be moved forward, The distance from the body is OK, but if you get any kind of rig that will move the EVF forward you also be able to move it towards or away from the body as you wish so the best of both worlds
 
Thanks. I still think I'll be fine for the forward placement. I don't like the camera to be too far back next to my head anyway like many "balanced" handheld RED setups. I have rods/batt plate to counterbalance but for me it's a balance between counterweight and a comfortable placement of the lens/follow focus. But we'll see. Thanks for the info.
 
Received mine today and it is amazing!
I have one problem so far, I can't control the main menu (frame rate, iso, wb, etc...) into the EVF screen and only through the Sidekick.
Even when the control mode is on LCD2... Pretty sure I'm missing something but I can't figure out what...
Any advice?
 
You could also look at the BM Ursa EVF. Its 1080p oled and decent optics as well, only around $1400. For use on Dragon/Weapon, DC in is on a XLR, I just chopped that off and added a 2pin lemo, then its just SDI to the brain.
A million times better than either bomb evf. The DSMC2 EVF sounds ok, but still no shutter to block off sunlight damage, no heated eyepiece, doesn't appear to have any better way to a secure eye piece chamois/cushion. I use to worry about being out in the middle of africa with only sdi monitoring and loosing the menu displays, but with a sidekick that wont be a problem.

For about 4x the cost I'm waiting to try a dcmc2 evf in person before ordering.

Blackmagic Ursa EVF rehoused by Tilta:


https://vimeo.com/164273976

https://www.cinema5d.com/tilta-rehouse-the-blackmagic-ursa-viewfinder/
 
I have the DSMC2 EVF with mount kit and I am unable to lock off the tilt on the mount or even tighten it so it stays in place, it feels very loose, has anyone else had this problem?
 
Received mine today and it is amazing!
I have one problem so far, I can't control the main menu (frame rate, iso, wb, etc...) into the EVF screen and only through the Sidekick.
Even when the control mode is on LCD2... Pretty sure I'm missing something but I can't figure out what...
Any advice?

in Monitor setup make sure the EVF is at the very top of the priority list (only one screen can show the menu so maybe it is going on the SDI or LCD output in your settings)

MENU > SETTINGS > DISPLAY > MONITOR CONTROL > PRIORITY TAB
 
I too can give the new OLED EVF the big thumbs up. Optically it presents much larger than the old OLED and I find its the perfect size for me. I now prefer the new Red EVF over the Alexa EVF and the Sony OLED EVF. I have yet to try the new Panasonic Varicam EVF which I hear is very good. Cable exiting the camera side of the EVF is a little painful but not fatal.
The old OLED EVF looked so soft unless sharpening was turned on and if an image was buzzed the old EVF was incapable of showing it. I can't count the times I would look at an image through the camera and it all looked good then wander over to the monitor and realise focus was sitting on somebodies nose not their eyes. The new EVF should be a great help. 1920x1080 really should be the minimum spec for a EVF.

I like the Open Gate setting but I get an overlay in green text saying Open Gate over the image. I can't imagine all day staring at this green text over the image. Is their a way of disabling the text while still seeing the menus?
 
Back
Top