Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Dragon impressions

Remember when the guys that got their lucky hands on a high profile camera first . . . spent the next 72 hours shooting and posting career changing movies? Pepperidge Farms does . . .

http://vimeo.com/7151244

Not a fan of Vincent but he knew how to get it done beyond a long winded unboxing ceremony ;-)

You must be a fool to not realize those spots were pre-planned and coordinated with their camera delivery.

I've had Dragon in my hands for 9 days and it's been out to work every day since. Sometimes for my own projects more often for client's I can't share here. Mind showing us what brilliant visual opus you've created with your M in the last 72 hours?

Anyway, glad this thread is proving helpful to some people. I know a lot of this information is stuff I would appreciate and absolutely integrate into my own work. Take it or leave it.
 
You must be a fool to not realize those spots were pre-planned and coordinated with their camera delivery.

I've had Dragon in my hands for 9 days and it's been out to work every day since. Sometimes for my own projects more often for client's I can't share here. Mind showing us what brilliant visual opus you've created with your M in the last 72 hours?

Anyway, glad this thread is proving helpful to some people. I know a lot of this information is stuff I would appreciate and absolutely integrate into my own work. Take it or leave it.

For argument sake I accept your premise but wonder why then such a huge missed PR opportunity for both RED and the Dragon owner. I mean if Vincent can do it in 72hrs (with stills photo background) can not a hand picked Dragon owner? Any owner?

In reality, Canon had no idea what the had in the 5DII and probably had very little to do with Vincent's film. He was observant, early adopting and very aggressive . . . as you would expect from an accomplished photo journalist working in NYC at the time.

Cheers Mate!
 
For argument sake I accept your premise but wonder why then such a huge missed PR opportunity for both RED and the Dragon owner. I mean if Vincent can do it in 72hrs (with stills photo background) can not a hand picked Dragon owner? Any owner?

In reality, Canon had no idea what the had in the 5DII and probably had very little to do with Vincent's film. He was observant, early adopting and very aggressive . . . as you would expect from an accomplished photo journalist working in NYC at the time.

Cheers Mate!
Sorry I'm not shooting and posting fast enough for you, Mate. What are you contributing, exactly?
 
Remember when the guys that got their lucky hands on a high profile camera first . . . spent the next 72 hours shooting and posting career changing movies? Pepperidge Farms does . . .

http://vimeo.com/7151244

Not a fan of Vincent but he knew how to get it done beyond a long winded unboxing ceremony ;-)

I think it takes a bit more to impress now a days. That old 5D film came when there where no option to film with a sensor even close to that size without spending a fortune. Today thats old news.
And to me that footage looks quite shitty, it's shaky, 30fps, over saturated with hard clipped highlights and blacks. Today it takes a bit more to make a notice, especially if the camera you are trying to promote is hard to get and price starts at 50k USD... The clickrate on Vincent film came from the fact that it was what everybody then could buy with as little money as was spent on camera rent fort a day. Dragon is still not so much money but then again the landscape has changed quite a bit since the 5D was launched.

I would not count on making my money back from buying one and then make a blog about it. I think then it's better to focus on some solid projects and then camera rent is the smallest part. All ready there is so many RED ONE MX cameras rentable for almost nothing, when the dragons roll out those will push the scarlet and epic down in the dirt swell as dragon will not rent for more than the current epic MX prices.

In stockholm now we got:
Scarlet with full magliner, filter, mattbox, monitors, 2 tripods, battteries etc for: 600 USD
For Alexa studio XT with everything needed: 1600US
And epic MX with everything is around 1100USD

So when the dragon comes I'm pretty sure it will fall in between the MX epic and Alexa XT or even push down the whole range just a bit as then there is also more cameras out. So i'm guessing 1k USD a day for a dragon setup minus lenses which is still money but far from holding back any kind of real production.
 
Sorry I'm not shooting and posting fast enough for you, Mate. What are you contributing, exactly?

Rob, keep up the great work. Posting a detailed recipe for how to make a smokin' Dragon workflow is worth 10 videos of soft-focus porn.
 
So much to discuss. :)


Sorry to piss on the thread, but isnt it about Dragon? Seems to have steered into computer rocket and gpu discussion. Footage? tests?. again i apologize, but this is LAB stuff i want to see the movie.
 
Wes,

You got a Rocket X card in your old metal sled?

From what I've seen the biggest benefit to the Dragon when it comes to low light is going to be how much cleaner it is. Much less noise.
I've been amazed at how much more you can pump the ISO. A couple stops easy…


Rob, have you tried playback in Premiere (with Rocket X) on your Mac by chance? I am not getting full resolution, full frame rate playback at 6k but this is testing on an older 8 core Mac Pro. Haven't tested smaller frame sizes at full res either… I would imagine that there is still performance to be gained by continued work on the drivers.
 
Hey let's not let this AWESOME thread you so generously took your time to create and update for the community boil down to "tit for tat." Keep up the good work, we appreciated and an focus on the positive vibes I'm sending you through the internet. This is the thread I woke up for this morning! The setup is very similar to how I'm looking to upgrade my own.

I'm sure Josh appreciates it too, demanding because of excitement, always looking for a healthy debate and an opportunity to display his intellect and solid sense of core values, compassion and human decency.

Sorry I'm not shooting and posting fast enough for you, Mate. What are you contributing, exactly?
 
Sorry I'm not shooting and posting fast enough for you, Mate. What are you contributing, exactly?

My comments are not directed at you personally or your company. Just wondering why no one that has a Dragon has posted a well produced capabilities reel. Seems odd since there is usually rush to have the social media benefit of posting first. No worries if that is not of interest and I understand the downside of publicly representing RED. Ryan Walters well intentioned Zacuto Shoot Out effort comes to mind. Everyone is a f*%king critic . . . right? ;-)

BTW: do you rent that Dragon and if so what's the day/week rate?
 
I think it takes a bit more to impress now a days. That old 5D film came when there where no option to film with a sensor even close to that size without spending a fortune. Today thats old news.
And to me that footage looks quite shitty, it's shaky, 30fps, over saturated with hard clipped highlights and blacks. Today it takes a bit more to make a notice, especially if the camera you are trying to promote is hard to get and price starts at 50k USD... The clickrate on Vincent film came from the fact that it was what everybody then could buy with as little money as was spent on camera rent fort a day. Dragon is still not so much money but then again the landscape has changed quite a bit since the 5D was launched.

fair enough and . . . love your work!
 
Special notes:
  • RED ROCKET-X will not work outside of a 16x PCIe lane (as of current firmware and unlikely otherwise).
  • The original RED ROCKET will not work with Dragon R3Ds.
Thanks Rob for all this info !

Now, the original Red Rocket not being compatible with Dragon footage is news to me. Is this supposed to change in the future ? Is this true even with 4K or 5K footage ?

Also, if the Rocket-X requires 16x PCIe lane, does that mean it won't work in a thunderbolt enclosure ? I'm happily using my RR card in a sonnet chassis on my MBP and it's just perfect. But it's definitely not 16x. Are there TB enclosures already supporting this card ? I guess they will have to be TB2 anyway.
 
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 23rd
Sharing one of the many projects I've been working on lately.

Shot with friend and performer Dave Locke on a Cyr Wheel, with the Dragon. Used mixed lighting, mixed frames, mixed ISO, and more. Bought "DJ lights" for $100 and generally abused the Dragon sensor as much as I could. Overcranked, RC 18:1, kept ISO low, room dark, lots of atmospheric effects to screw with light and... You name it.

A majority of this footage was shot and transcoded to web at 250 ISO and 24-86 fps. Thanks to the workflow I outlined above (and the RED ROCKET-X in particular), I was able to shoot, offload, quick grade, edit, and transcode to web all on the same night.

Music by David Bowie. One man crew (Me). Performer Dave Locke. Equipment Blackwood Cinema.



Thanks for watching.
 
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 23rd
Sharing one of the many projects I've been working on lately.

Shot with friend and performer Dave Locke on a Cyr Wheel, with the Dragon. Used mixed lighting, mixed frames, mixed ISO, and more. Bought "DJ lights" for $100 and generally abused the Dragon sensor as much as I could. Overcranked, RC 18:1, kept ISO low, room dark, lots of atmospheric effects to screw with light and... You name it.

A majority of this footage was shot and transcoded to web at 250 ISO and 24-86 fps. Thanks to the workflow I outlined above (and the RED ROCKET-X in particular), I was able to shoot, offload, quick grade, edit, and transcode to web all on the same night.

Music by David Bowie. One man crew (Me). Performer Dave Locke. Equipment Blackwood Cinema.



Thanks for watching.

Thanks for the video Rob. You may want to encode a bigger file as the HD version is 21mb which doesn't give it justice!
 
Damn! I'm envious. I also have a 2009 Mac Pro. Seeing that Rob is getting full rez and your not seems like only a 3 year difference in towers. 12 cores vs 8.

When did you get an early RR-X? Prototype because of Adobe or are they shipping?

Yes sir. Feels more responsive than the old Rocket. Still not getting full debater 6k playback though.
 
Well if you were going to push the Dragon in low light, this is how you do it. Two DJ lights and a dark room. Was noise ever an issue?

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 23rd
Sharing one of the many projects I've been working on lately.

Shot with friend and performer Dave Locke on a Cyr Wheel, with the Dragon. Used mixed lighting, mixed frames, mixed ISO, and more. Bought "DJ lights" for $100 and generally abused the Dragon sensor as much as I could. Overcranked, RC 18:1, kept ISO low, room dark, lots of atmospheric effects to screw with light and... You name it.

A majority of this footage was shot and transcoded to web at 250 ISO and 24-86 fps. Thanks to the workflow I outlined above (and the RED ROCKET-X in particular), I was able to shoot, offload, quick grade, edit, and transcode to web all on the same night.

Music by David Bowie. One man crew (Me). Performer Dave Locke. Equipment Blackwood Cinema.



Thanks for watching.
 
Very cool athlete, I've never seen that before.
 
Back
Top