Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Dragon 4KHD crop compared to Full Frame DSLR

Joined
Sep 11, 2009
Messages
21
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
New York, New York
Website
vimeo.com
I do not post often but I am on here all the time. I'd really appreciate anyone that could help with this math...

I am shooting a project that will have both video and photography intercutting. The photographer and I will be working closely, she will be shooting with a Full-Frame DSLR. To be exact a 50mm lens.

I have to shoot at 4KHD so that I can get a 16:9 aspect ratio and 120FPS. I am curious what lens I need to match hers?

Her sensor size is 36x24 and mine is 19x11 - Taking into account that her photos are originally a 3:2 shape (framed for 16:9) I wonder what my focal length has to be to match her 50mm.

I am personally getting somewhere in the 27-32mm range. I will be on a zoom to dial it in and probably even back off a hair so that they can crop in post by 5% but still. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
 
PCam is made for these kinds of conversions - a must-have app on your phone.

I'm getting 26.7mm with those specs, but of course, that'll only match field of view, DOF and perspective will be pretty different.

Why not shoot on APS-C stills cam so focal lengths are close?
 
Easiest way to get it right is to do a comparison. Hold the two cameras next to each other and have a zoom on the dragon. when you reach the same framing you know what focal length, then if you also need to match the focus falloff you would need to open up more than her. Again quite easy to match good enough by eye.

your sensor size will be about 20mm in width hers almost twice that. so yes a little bit more than half the focal length is what you would use to compensate.
 
http://www.tawbaware.com/maxlyons/calc.htm

A little late but, this website has all the calculators one might need. It will even tell you what aperture to use if you want to match depth of field between full frame and M43 (which is what dragon's 4k is approximately). Or since you have the dimensions already, you can just enter them.
 
Back
Top