Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

December 1st Dragon Sensor upgrade price increase reminder

really? didnt see that on papers i signed while buying epic / scarlet.
and free upgrades? you are dreaming buddy :)

Maybe you should read, that's the purpose of a link.
I can feel a lot of tension in your last posts this week :)
 
Last edited:
IIRC, I paid just under $8K for my Scarlet body about 2 years ago (or has it been almost 3?) . Today, I could trade that body in for a brand new Epic-MX for $9500. With the Epic proved at $17,500, that gives me just about $8K for my Scarlet. Not too bad.

And, if I had wanted to do this and go to Epic Dragon, too, my upgrade would cosy me $19K which values my Scarlet at around $10K (I know, slightly apples and oranges as the $29K proc is for Dragon M. Still an interesting comparison.)

So the upgrade pricing for Dragon will rise on 12/1 which potentially drops the value of my Scarlet to about $5K. Wow... really pisses me off how badly RED is screwing me. LOL
 
IIRC, I paid just under $8K for my Scarlet body about 2 years ago (or has it been almost 3?) . Today, I could trade that body in for a brand new Epic-MX for $9500. With the Epic proved at $17,500, that gives me just about $8K for my Scarlet. Not too bad.

And, if I had wanted to do this and go to Epic Dragon, too, my upgrade would cosy me $19K which values my Scarlet at around $10K (I know, slightly apples and oranges as the $29K proc is for Dragon M. Still an interesting comparison.)

So the upgrade pricing for Dragon will rise on 12/1 which potentially drops the value of my Scarlet to about $5K. Wow... really pisses me off how badly RED is screwing me. LOL
Hehe, agreed, it's great that we will still have those two options.

The other two options will become more or less obsolete. Upgrading Scarlet/MX to Scarlet/Dragon makes a Scarlet/MX worth only 2000USD (or 500USD if you count in armor). 2000USD is still more than every other company offers, but for that money i will preferably just keep that brain (or sell it). And you can't erase the fact that there was a lower price before Dec 1st. ;) And going EPIC/MX and then EPIC/Dragon just makes you loose 3000USD.

All in all, this situation is a little weird. I'm sad about having to pass the opportunity to upgrade my Scarlet, but i totally can't and will not complain at all.
 
if I were to pay prior to Dec 1st how long can I delay the upgrade process for? I know I can hold off if the cam is busy I am told, but realistically how many months can I hold off? Don't get me wrong I want it Dragonized, I just need to maintain MX legacy support for as long as possible and still avoid the price hike if possible...Thanks
 
In Europe it's a bit messy ^^ A friend is upgrading his camera. The german red website says 8090€ without VAT (the price of the upgrade with VAT is 12000$/9700€)). But upgrades in Europe have to go through RED UK, and in Red UK the upgrade is 8570€ without VAT (so it's 12800$/10300€).
 
Yes, the dragon upgrade is only in GBP, not Euro.
Of course the change is not cheap.
Other RED products can be purchased in Euros, not the upgrade to Dragon.
 
My upgrade to Dragon is dependent on a client paying up this month... so keeping my fingers crossed that payment comes through.

Before I hassle the guys at Red UK, I was just wondering about a couple of things - namely the interchangeable OLPF and Red Armour/Dragon warranty extension.

I presume the interchangeable OLPF is standard now - so we just say which version we'd like pre-installed (and can order the other OLPF - to arrive at the same time?) and regarding Dragon Armour (Armor), I see it mentioned on the site, but can't see an option to add it ($1500)... so is this something to flag when sorting out a pro-forma?
 
Yes,
I think the New OPLF is standard now (I wait for my DRAGON with the new system installed + LLO).
The UPGRADE is 6,495.00 GPB + VAT, the RED ARMOR is 970,00 GPB + VAT.
You can req. the RED ARMOR on the same pro-forma.


My upgrade to Dragon is dependent on a client paying up this month... so keeping my fingers crossed that payment comes through.

Before I hassle the guys at Red UK, I was just wondering about a couple of things - namely the interchangeable OLPF and Red Armour/Dragon warranty extension.

I presume the interchangeable OLPF is standard now - so we just say which version we'd like pre-installed (and can order the other OLPF - to arrive at the same time?) and regarding Dragon Armour (Armor), I see it mentioned on the site, but can't see an option to add it ($1500)... so is this something to flag when sorting out a pro-forma?
 

Attachments

  • proforma.jpg
    proforma.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0
Yes,
I think the New OPLF is standard now (I wait for my DRAGON with the new system installed + LLO).
The UPGRADE is 6,495.00 GPB + VAT, the RED ARMOR is 970,00 GPB + VAT.
You can req. the RED ARMOR on the same pro-forma.

Thanks Luca :)

Presume the approx $800 difference on the US price is for duty/delvery etc? So no other costs - other than getting the Epic to Red to start the process?

Cheers.
 
Brian, it is actually easier for us to get in the money and reconcile it to our books soon thereafter. However, if you have timing issues, there is currently no deadline to perform upgrade if you pay prior to Dec 1 and but perform later.

Yes, swapping to the interchangable OLPF system has already been integrated into the upgrade line.
 
No other costs, the price in GPB is the FINAL PRICE.
I have a valid european VAT number. So, the VAT is not charged in my case.

Picture attached.
 

Attachments

  • proforma2.jpg
    proforma2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
No other costs, the price in GPB is the FINAL PRICE.
I have a valid european VAT number. So, the VAT is not charged in my case.

Picture attached.

Luca - thanks again :)

I'm VAT registered, but (sadly) in the UK, we have to pay out the VAT and then reclaim it - a total PITA, I much prefer the EU system.

I recently worked for some clients in Poland (doing some CGI work) and had to join yet another register in the UK, so HMRC (Tax office) can see what I have been invoicing in the EU, as EU clients expect to swap VAT numbers and not pay any VAT at all... the UK is waaaaayyyy behind in terms of VAT logistics. <rant over>

Anyway, thanks again for great clarifications, all I need to do is cross my fingers and hope my invoice payment hits within deadline!

Cheers :)
 
What I don't understand is Luca's price of 6495£ for the upgrade, and I see 6715£ on my order page. Brent, any idea about that?
 
for price (in GBP) about the scarlet upgrade you should ask to RED EUROPE.
I paid the price written in the proforma.

What I
don't understand is Luca's price of 6495£ for the upgrade, and I see 6715£ on my order page. Brent, any idea about that?
 
What I don't understand is Luca's price of 6495£ for the upgrade, and I see 6715£ on my order page. Brent, any idea about that?

Sam, did you see my reference to Alan's earlier post on this subject earlier in this thread? Let me know if that does not answer it for you.
 
Sam, did you see my reference to Alan's earlier post on this subject earlier in this thread? Let me know if that does not answer it for you.

I saw it. But what I don't understand is the difference between Luca's upgrade price (he lives in Italy) and my price (in France). His order is showing 6495€ for the upgrade, and mine 6715€. All before taxes. We are both european customers living close, dealing through Red UK for the same upgrade. Maybe I didn't read well the other thread, I'm sorry if it's the case. I understand that there is some import taxes etc. But the price should be the same for both of us before the taxes no? That's a 420$ difference with VAT.
Suresh is having a price equivalent to Luca's one. I guess maybe there was a change since my preorder last year that will appear when I will activate the upgrade this month.
 
Last edited:
Not sure on that, Sam. I will reach out to REL to confirm.

EDIT: We adjust for exchange rates (as needed, we check every few months). Quotes are based upon current exchange rates. At time of order processing, we adjust for current rates. So, looks like you are right.
 
Last edited:
Brent - any idea when Epic X Dragon's will go on sale? Bomb Squad rep said to wait a little longer if not in a rush. Hope December is the lucky month!
 
I have no knowledge of RED's strategy but it's alway fun to think out loud and see if you turn out to be right.

I think that, as of the 12/1 date when upgrade prices go up, Scarlet-X will cease production. Meanwhile, Epic-X prices will drop to $14,500 to match Scarlet Dragon. Those will be the "entry level" RED cameras going forward.

Since we know you will still be able to trade in your old Scarlet-X for an Epic-X for $9500, RED will offer the traded in Scarlets as "battle tested" units going forward, until supply runs out. Those will be priced somewhere around $4-5K - with no upgrade capability. At the same time, RED will begin to produce the Epic-X Dragons for, I believe the price was projected, around $24,500.

So... for new cameras, you'll have Scarlet Dragon and Epic-X at the low end and Epic Dragon, Xs and Ms, at the top. Did I leave anything out? :smiley:
 
can someone please explain to me why we're being asked to pay 30% more ?

have production costs increased, or another reason?
 
Back
Top