Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Bad reactions to DSLR comments on Reduser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe.



Well, let me ask you this: will we still have an ability to suggest features, specs for new cameras, ideas for functions, etc? Being told 2 years in advance about a forthcoming camera I can do without, but I have always loved that we have the ability to throw out ideas here, and that sometimes, they actually seem to get adopted. Maybe some type of more robust "Suggestions & Ideas" forum?

Tom... we love suggestions. We have implemented many of them from this board along the way. We just aren't going to telegraph what we are doing anymore.

Jim
 
BTW... we have taken a lesson from Apple. We will no longer discuss what we are doing until we are done.

Jim
Can't say there weren't signs this day was coming, but I'm already missing the early days of the R-1. I posted before that that experience with a product and company are very likely hundred-year events. This new approach makes me very nostalgic for the old days of 2006-2008.
 
Tom... we love suggestions. We have implemented many of them from this board along the way. We just aren't going to telegraph what we are doing anymore.

Jim
But how will the fanbase exist when we aren't waiting for the next OCT 30th... then Nov30th!

I can say, looking back on those time, thats when we've bonded most... waiting for news
:biggrin:
 
http://reduser.net/forum/showpost.php?p=615436&postcount=8

Quote: Originally Posted by Jason Diamond
This is an honest question:
Do you feel that an open dialog has gained you more respect among the smaller insider group and a bit more chiding amongst the larger arena?

Not a judgmental question at all as I consider my self among the former, but it does affect the public viewing of the company and what it wants to accomplish vs what it can or has accomplish(ed) under certain time lines.

Hoping the bug has found the roach motel.... glad you're back.


"The minute that we think being open has significantly hurt us... we will stop being open. I sincerely hope that moment never happens.

Jim"


As per our discussion a few days ago I'm very sad to see this happen at all much less as quickly as a few days.
I agree with Tom that it's probably somewhat better not to telegraph future plans so much, however the interaction of RED with this board and it's users is vital, in my opinion, to what has helped bring RED to where it is today.

Keep on truckin'
 
I do think this change in policy is smart on Jim's part. However, the real trick -- the real balancing act -- will be switching to a new Apple-style policy in terms of when products are announced while still being able to interact with and get product ideas from community members here.

Given this change in policy, I do think it might be worth considering opening up a new subforum called "Red Camera Ideas & Suggestions"... or something along those lines, which the Red team would hopefully read and (when they can) react to. A sort of "think tank" of ideas.
 
What would you use if you had 20 minutes with a celebrity and a canon or Nikon mount with your EPIC?

Think professional here.

David
And how many of the photogs that own canons get 20 mins with a celebrity?:emote_hippie:
and how many of them need a 5K motion camera that will shoot footage good enough for theatrical? And how many will have access to editing bay? Colorist?

David's answer remains the same... Think Professional.

Looks like somewhere along the way, you lost sight of the program Jacek.. which is surprising to me.
 
We'll still have an open dialog with our customers and listen to suggestions... along with adding helpful hints. What we won't do any longer is tell you what we are doing next. We have a ton of stuff in the pipeline... for the time others actually catch up to where we were. We just aren't going to tell them where we are going.

I will say this... if the DSLR companies thinks that all they have to do is fix line-skipping to hang with us, they will have a rude awakening.

Jim
 
I agree completely look how many PRO fashion photographers use the Leica S2, which is priced similarly to the Epic but can't take 5k movies! So once Epic is released I think it will be a no brainer for many of these professionals to make the switch. (and even easier for them when the monstro sensors comes out because many fashion shoots require large format)
 
We'll still have an open dialog with our customers and listen to suggestions... along with adding helpful hints. What we won't do any longer is tell you what we are doing next. We have a ton of stuff in the pipeline... for the time others actually catch up to where we were. We just aren't going to tell them where we are going.

I will say this... if the DSLR companies thinks that all they have to do is fix line-skipping to hang with us, they will have a rude awakening.

Jim

Now we're all wishing we had jobs at RED. Its really fun to see a group of people pushing the creative envelope as hard as you guys are.
 
We'll still have an open dialog with our customers and listen to suggestions... along with adding helpful hints. What we won't do any longer is tell you what we are doing next. We have a ton of stuff in the pipeline... for the time others actually catch up to where we were. We just aren't going to tell them where we are going.

I will say this... if the DSLR companies thinks that all they have to do is fix line-skipping to hang with us, they will have a rude awakening.

Jim
Now THAT sounds more like the old days, but without all the bothersome details. Still all in.
 
Epic market

Epic market

David's answer remains the same... Think Professional.

Looks like somewhere along the way, you lost sight of the program Jacek.. which is surprising to me.
I see David called his big brother for help- been there before:cryin:
I hear and say it every day: Epic will remain a non compromise tool for top professionals-I never lost a sight of that- I assure you. I will also continue to come up with ways to support it.
But I thought we were talking about pro/consumers here- the next marketplace for Red. If I'm mistaken my bad....
BTW nothing personal here- I thought we had a quite civilized discussion here with everyone expressing their opinion-if the perception was different my apologies to all...
 
I had someone tell me, if I couldn't afford to get a better camera then I should maybe just think about not shooting, maybe this isn't for me.

That person is a jerk. That's like saying, "You shouldn't learn to play guitar if you can't afford a vintage 1953 Tele."
 
Jim, I think its great that you are going to keep tight lipped, but I bet you can't do it.
Admit it, you're a forum addict like the rest of us, you live for these forums !

Beanspiller.

I wish you all the best on your new vow of secrecy, I think it can only help RED's professional public image.
 
This whole discussion comparing RED and "the others" has gotten completely silly.

Sometimes I just feeling like posting "Shut the F up and let this man do his job!" but that would be rude.

I am going to take my own advice now.
 
The bold path is not an easy one. Let's do it,
 
I liked hearing the future speak, even if some of it was temporally-dyslexic:)

(Meant as a compliment, I still want my jet-pack, but don't blame the engineers and scientists for physics limitations!)

Although late to buy in (but before the cutoff date:) ) I followed Red from the Vaporware phase thru reality and into my own reality. I feel fortunate that I had an amazing wife who supported me in buying #6732. Who believed in me, and after her reading and viewing examples, believed in the camera and company. She is gone but her encouragement is felt everytime I pick up that beast.

Now.... funny how so many complain or comment on how difficult exposing a Red is. The last time I picked a camera with the intent to seriously shoot "film" was literally with a Super 8mm film camera. I have shot countless frames of still film and digital, and countless hours of home movies an a bit of commercial. YET... after maybe 2 hours of experimenting, I can say I have not shot 1 minute of improperly expose (for given light) footage. It may have been dark, but the Red gave me and gives me the tools right on screen to get the most out if I just look.

NOW.... I did buy a 550d... And it is amazing and can capture some good footage. But as has been said, if you play very carefully and the planets are aligned. Please let at least some of it work when I get it into editing!

I know some of this has nothing perhaps to do with this thread, but I am waiting excitedly for the release of my Epic-X Stage II. I may be broke, but I am making lovely imagery.

Thank you to my lovely, darly missed Wife, Olga Cherenkova-Miler. To Red, Jim, and his team, my producer, director and editor, Tim Walton. Thank you goes out to Christine Marie for my first opportunity to shoot on a music video with an amazing crew and talent. To my senior DP, Brian Hamm and Jeff McPhee for your example and guidance. To the team at Project Arbiter for allowing me to shoot with you on a dream project with great........

Well, you get the picture.

Oh, thank you Canon for letting me capture my 2 young daughters on something a little smaller than the Red.... until my fixed Scarlet is ordered that is:)
 
I will say this... if the DSLR companies thinks that all they have to do is fix line-skipping to hang with us, they will have a rude awakening.

Jim

That is very exciting news- I hope the bug gets sorted out quick, as I am chomping at the bit to get out shooting with my Epic-X.

I have appreciated all that Red has brought to the table- you have not only brought a camera that has challenged perceptions, but a relationship to the end user / customer that has changed perceptions. Thanks for sticking you neck out like that and causing a change in the status quo. :)
 
“The greatest inventions were produced in the times of ignorance”
Jonathan Swift
 
I will say this... if the DSLR companies thinks that all they have to do is fix line-skipping to hang with us, they will have a rude awakening.

Jim

I hope this includes a new sensor in Epic. With Epic so far down the pipeline I believe it has to perform even better then the MX.

My vote is for MONSTRO lol :party:

(I think that what the next one was called, wasn't it?)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top