Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Automatic black shade calibration on Epic Dragon?

Jonas Klittmark

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2011
Messages
208
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Is there a technical reason the automatic black shade calibration on Weapon cannot be made available for Epic Dragon via a firmware update?
 
While at NAB i ran an auto calib on the first day on the WEAPON i had on my foolcontrol demo table.

I haven't monitored everything while doing it but it took quite a while to complete so I guess it recorded and stored way more than 4 maps to be able to cover 1/8000s -> 1/8s exposures. I presume only WEAPON may have enough internal memory for this new feature...
 
While at NAB i ran an auto calib on the first day on the WEAPON i had on my foolcontrol demo table.

I haven't monitored everything while doing it but it took quite a while to complete so I guess it recorded and stored way more than 4 maps to be able to cover 1/8000s -> 1/8s exposures. I presume only WEAPON may have enough internal memory for this new feature...

That would make sense, sadly.

I just hope they're not holding back on the improvements that are more in the category of "fixes" for us Epic Dragon owners. New features is fair to use for up-selling but fixes for issues that other cameras don't have to the same extent should just be included whenever possible IMHO.
 
That would make sense, sadly.

I just hope they're not holding back on the improvements that are more in the category of "fixes" for us Epic Dragon owners. New features is fair to use for up-selling but fixes for issues that other cameras don't have to the same extent should just be included whenever possible IMHO.

Agreed. Any camera in this price range should have this built in. As I recall, it was hinted that black shading could become a natural feature in a future Dragon firmware upgrade.
 
and upselling strategies...

no, i don't believe Red ever has or would ever do that.

If Red can provide a feature with existing hardware, they make it available as a free firmware update.
 
the epic dragon can store about five shadings.. what is the reason it can't switch them over, albeit not instantly, when shutter speeds are changed, automatically if desired by the operator?

or is this how it works already?

edit: correction, i think its four.. but choosing the most appropriate setting automatically would be a great option when blackshading isn't an option.. job half done!
 
the epic dragon can store about five shadings.. what is the reason it can't switch them over, albeit not instantly, when shutter speeds are changed, automatically if desired by the operator?

or is this how it works already?

edit: correction, i think its four.. but choosing the most appropriate setting automatically would be a great option when blackshading isn't an option.. job half done!


I have to say that is a very smart comment. It takes a smidge of brain power for the camera to recognize that you just changed something - I mean it does this type of thig already.

THe camera can tell I changed the FPS and up pops .... 'oh you just changed your frame rate to 48fps at 1/96 do you want me to switch to your blackshade you stored already for that? Y/N'

There is no way that takes much computational power at all. Good suggestion!
 
no, i don't believe Red ever has or would ever do that.

If Red can provide a feature with existing hardware, they make it available as a free firmware update.

They will absolutely do it, as they did before...but I'm absolutely fine with it since it keeps the company healthy and profitable, and we get to have cameras for a while! ;)

I mean that they could do it even on Epic/Scarlet Dragon within hw limitations (you set a shutter speed? -> cal map change automatically! it's just a sw feature...).

The added hw features of Weapon could of course speedup the cal map change / improving the procedure...
 
I have to say that is a very smart comment. It takes a smidge of brain power for the camera to recognize that you just changed something - I mean it does this type of thig already.

THe camera can tell I changed the FPS and up pops .... 'oh you just changed your frame rate to 48fps at 1/96 do you want me to switch to your blackshade you stored already for that? Y/N'

There is no way that takes much computational power at all. Good suggestion!

im a computer programmer ;)

the point was .. the stored shutter speed maps don't have to match, they just need to be as close as possible (which is currently what we do, when we don't reshade everytime we change the shutter)..and knowing which is a closer match.. is a trivial calculation ..and a decision that cannot be made during a take.. only inbetween ..so all that is required is a "yes/no" to confirm you want to do it, as you say, when you change shutter speed..no need to jump around menus when you are busy..

if they wanted to be really clever they could have a setting to disable the "apply shading map: yes.no" if desired ;)

only the user knows what they'll be shooting, so another level of "cleverness" would be to ask the user at the start of the day *what shutter range they think they'll be using, and automatically store the 4 most suitable shading maps..

* ie, upon booting ..enabled/disabled depending on user setting
 
Last edited:
Back
Top