Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Anyone got skin tone samples shot with Dragon OLFP 2 and RedDragon color/gamma?

B024_C005_01013F.176.0000176F-Edit.jpg


R3D:
http://gunleik.com/dragon/bcn_02.zip
 
Gunleik,

Nice shot.

Here is the same shot, WB taken, RG4, DragonColor, dropped down to 320ISO. I'm doing this more to show how a properly exposed neg can give you so many options, like if you wanted to not blow out the window.

The skin is just bang on.

of course, you were there. :)

THX David.

Actually I have things exposed all over the place... :)

I was just allowed to hng around for a few weeks.

NOT a camtest, this... :)

10553930_10152558448035126_4255785205478150495_o.jpg
 
This f. ex is underexposed at least a stop under mixed fluoerecent and dayylight through the windows (with some hideously colored curtains in front)

I still recognize my love for Dragon, though...

B027_C012_0101F4.398.0000398F-Edit-Edit.jpg


http://gunleik.com/dragon/bcn_03.zip
 
Last edited:
You know what. Properly exposed is a subjective term. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around finding the correct words.

Its more ore like the capacity of light a dragon r3d can handle. It's not just the sensor but what ends up in the file. As you hit this sensor with light (and it does not clip because you can push it so much more) then you just have so much more post processing latitude and choices. So you can ride the exposure pretty hard without clipping and the post process as you wish.

I think ink that is what I try to get across to people. If you starve this sensor, or just give it enough light, you really aren't giving yourself the most possibilities in post. Not saying everyone wants that flexibility, but the images are really elastic when the sensor is given those extra stops.

So, I'm going to change, "expose properly" with "fill it up" or something like that because I'm finding that's when the images are really fat.

Battistella



THX David.

Actually I have things exposed all over the place... :)

I was just allowed to hng around for a few weeks.

NOT a camtest, this... :)
 
David. Totally agree...

In controlled situations, Dragon is an unbeatable monster.
And in less controlled (like the ones I had on holiday shooting my kids and brothers summercourse)...

Color-rendering under weird lightsources is insane, really.
And skin looks swell.

Like really good.
Even when noisy and underexposed.
 
shot on MX

am2TpnbHbCOV
 
Dragon OLPF V2 with DRAGONcolor and REDlogFilm custom curve. This is from a collaborative effort between myself and Ivan Agerton when he was in LA recently:

viktoriaD_0003.jpg


viktoriaD_0004.jpg


viktoriaD_0012.jpg



In natural light however, color and tonality like this makes me happy:

phfx_SK_UHDRDW_SKGrabs_0017.jpg
 
People just are not understanding how great the tungsten color fidelity is with this sensor as well. I used to have to try to turn on the blue channel a bit in tungsten, now, straight tungsten is really clean.

Battistella

David. Totally agree...

In controlled situations, Dragon is an unbeatable monster.
And in less controlled (like the ones I had on holiday shooting my kids and brothers summercourse)...

Color-rendering under weird lightsources is insane, really.
And skin looks swell.

Like really good.
Even when noisy and underexposed.
 
Looks like a bit of mist in resolve to flatten out the blacks and smooth the highlights and probably some skin secondaries...a little Matt Ryan, digital makeup.. :)

battistella
 
How did you grade this shot? What you did here Matt looks so much nicer than the other versions of this still that have been posted.

I did grade this in Resolve, made it a little lower contrast via levels, did some skin smoothing and softening to even it out and beautify a bit. That's about it and as David says, it's digital makeup ;)

Anyone is welcome to hire me freelance to color haha
 
I did grade this in Resolve, made it a little lower contrast via levels, did some skin smoothing and softening to even it out and beautify a bit. That's about it and as David says, it's digital makeup ;)

Anyone is welcome to hire me freelance to color haha

Hi Matt,

I don't see the humor here.

I have seen so many posts about, your grades being preferred to many others, over years, that you, I am sure have been hired out, for color grading. Of course, grades are like any other artistic endeavor, but the commonality of you getting both accolades and enquiries regarding your technique for grading, is very strong. And I can't remember anyone posting displeasure, with a grade that you posted. Just Sayin'. Please continue the great work!

Thank you very much

Fury
 
Hi Matt,

I don't see the humor here.

I have seen so many posts about, your grades being preferred to many others, over years, that you, I am sure have been hired out, for color grading. Of course, grades are like any other artistic endeavor, but the commonality of you getting both accolades and enquiries regarding your technique for grading, is very strong. And I can't remember anyone posting displeasure, with a grade that you posted. Just Sayin'. Please continue the great work!

Thank you very much

Fury

Thanks Fury, appreciate it!
 
Back
Top