Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

$10K best lenses for ...

Well I have a set of Super Baltars so I don't need anything with a vintage look. I want something more modern looking and yes there are TONS of choices and that is why I need advice, lol. It's kinda like shopping for sneakers nowadays. There are so many colors, specialized soles, specialized fits and other things it can get overwhelming.
 
I guess it depends if you want a smaller set of cine, or a full set of photo. A full set of zeiss milvus seems like a nice choice, throw in the 15mm 2.8 ze as well.
 
I just bought a full set of Xeen primes for 9.999 USD

I got the 14, 24, 35, 50 and 85. all are T1.5 except the 14 that is T3.1

I think it is a very good set of lenses and a great price. I got them from Duclos.

Look them up on the web
 
Personal opinion:
Canon EF mount Sigma 18-35 and 50-100 f1.8 + Pryortechnik/RTMotion set.

you could also add a Tokina 14-20 f2 if you want to get real crazy.

You could even drive an additional zoom motor with an extra motor and rocker. Very modern but not ugly look.

You'll still have money to add more ART lenses if you like or some other specialty bits as you want them. Also you can use the latitude box and a motor to run your Baltars too.
 

I would stop for a second before deciding to go contex zeiss. I read into that thread deeply and decided to pickup a set. The chromatic abrasions on those lenses are horrible at low apertures. Also I find the high aperture lens flairs not as sophisticated as newer glass. They will have their time and place in my Kit, but I much more greatly prefer the newer Zeiss distagon/mulvis lenses as all around prime lenses.
 
Gotta agree with Jeff K., best bet is a set of used Red Pro Primes, They can be found for roughly $10K in very good condition. Why are so many people selling the RPPs for roughly half their original cost if they're so great? They are large and heavy compared to most primes. They don't fully cover 6K, some focal lengths even struggle with 5.5. They don't rent as frequently as Zeiss, Cooke, etc so it takes longer to recoup your initial investment.

If you're looking to shoot narrative material with primes, can live with S35 coverage and aren't banking on lots of rentals to pay them off - RPPs are hard to beat.

Cheers - #19
 
RPP's really don't rent at all and although optitically pretty good I would recommend finding another $2k and getting the 6 Sony primes if you go PL or the incredible 3 Otis primes if you go canon mount.
 
The Sony CineAlta PL lens are worth some consideration. Good solid image. Lots of marks, minimal breathing. T2 across the board, smooth barrel rotation. Well built. Heavier than the Red Pro Primes thought. $13 for 6 lens kit.

This is absolutely the best deal out there. By far. Quality optics, coatings, build quality, exactly the same uniform color across the the range. Honestly they should be in the 20-30K range, and would be if it wasn't for the Sony branding.
 
The Sony PL lenses are an exceptional value for PL primes. For buying new PL mount S35 glass they're probably the best deal going. The down sides of them are similar to the RED primes -- they don't rent and they're bulky and heavy. The RED 50, 85 and 100 are superior in both design and performance, but also they don't match the other three wider RED primes in terms of size or sharpness. The Sony primes are consistent across the set.

For owner operators not looking to generate rental income from their lenses specifically, the Sony's, RPP's, or even the Xeens are compelling options. For those looking to generate rental income, the label on them is very important and as always the winners are Zeiss, Cooke, Leica, etc.. The Schneider primes (Xenar and Xenon), Illuminas, Canon CN-E primes and a few others fall somewhere in between. They rent, but are rarely a first choice with incoming rental clients.

Depending on which focal lengths are needed, the trio of Zeiss Otus primes are hard to beat and can be had for under $10K. I've been shooting a set this past week with the Weapon and love them. A modded (with gears) Otus set from Duclos is my next lens purchase I think. But I need to unload some of my other glass first. I do have a set of Red Primes for sale and I don't just speak highly of them because I want to sell them. I really do feel they're that good. I would keep them if they covered 35FF or had a few more focal lengths available. As it stands, I just own too much glass... Especially for someone who spends more time as a consultant or in front of a computer these days than behind the camera.
 
i would personally try to find a used angeniuex optimo 30-76 or 17-80.
you have a sweet set of primes :)
 
i would personally try to find a used angeniuex optimo 30-76 or 17-80.
you have a sweet set of primes :)

You definitely won't find those lenses used for $10K... Closer to $20K each on the used market, the current versions are more than double that new. The DP series 16-42 and 30-80 trend closer to $10K each on the used market, but I have not seen anything under $10K for one. All things considered, not a bad way to go, if you want a zoom lens.
 
You definitely won't find those lenses used for $10K... Closer to $20K each on the used market, the current versions are more than double that new. The DP series 16-42 and 30-80 trend closer to $10K each on the used market, but I have not seen anything under $10K for one. All things considered, not a bad way to go, if you want a zoom lens.
i thought the new 30-76 was like 15k.
but we started to get up into 13k worth of sony primes.
i would just get a zoom because not only does it give you a modern lens compared to his super baltars it also serves as a different function.
 
I miss the RED 18-50/50-100. Really good utility. Close focus, variable prime, mechanics were not reliable, but those were a really great bargain. For personal use, it was an ideal solution.
 
Depends which Optimos you're talking about. If it's the Style zooms, replacing the DP series, which are the same lenses with some re-designs to allow for interchangeable mounts and rear elements that don't protrude so far. Those are about $16K new, depending on exchange rates with the Euro. These are still half the price of their flagship Optimo cinema zooms. Style zooms are hard to come by on the used market... The DP series are much easier because lots of people dumped the DP zooms in favor of the Style zooms just to get the updates. Sad in a way, but created a buyers' market for the DP zooms.
 
My Gilligan's Island scenario would be 2 zooms. My priority would be neutrality, resolving IQ, build quality and cost. It's reasonable to satisfy at 3 of those with todays options.
 
OK, so to change the question slightly, what ZOOM lenses are the best at the $10K price point? Has to be one or two lenses that cover at least 15mm-80-100mm.
 
there is also this 17-102mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-17-102...345934?hash=item258dc5e24e:g:N-kAAOxy2CZTYrDe

was the standard, i think its a great lens...

or you get into light weights but less range, here is a 16-42 but you can find 28-76 in the same price range...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Angenieux-1...119272?hash=item3d15f0fa28:g:xGMAAOSwBnVW-tZR

Used cooke 18-100 or 20-100 plus new Kish expander

less weight than Ang 17-102

solid beautiful image quality... BUT.... possible vignette at 5.5 k on wide focal lengths.

Your price point will make it VERY hard to cover the sensor at the wide angle end of the zoom
 
Back
Top