Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

While Waiting: Poll: When do you guys think EPIC stage 2 hits the streets?

While Waiting: Poll: When do you guys think EPIC stage 2 hits the streets?

  • August 2010

    Votes: 42 13.0%
  • September 2010

    Votes: 46 14.3%
  • October 2010

    Votes: 59 18.3%
  • November 2010

    Votes: 49 15.2%
  • December 2010

    Votes: 36 11.2%
  • January 2011

    Votes: 27 8.4%
  • February 2011

    Votes: 14 4.3%
  • March 2011

    Votes: 14 4.3%
  • NAB 2011

    Votes: 20 6.2%
  • In a year or so

    Votes: 15 4.7%

  • Total voters
    322
I voted after the BUG thread was posted. Pessimistically voted NAB 2011.

I really hope I'm wrong.
 
My guess is November for stage 2. Any thoughts on when stage 3 will be rolling out, or when they'll take deposits?
 
I think October may still be on for the first few...

That may be the case. I am hoping for October- and with the EPIC Red has said that they are planning on rolling out a lot of cameras each month. So I'm hoping that they will be able to fulfill all the Stage 2 orders in the 1st month, or at least by the end of the 2nd month.
 
Lets be very realistic. I expect NAB 2011. By the time all will go for MX upgrade and final EPIC prices also will go up.

Realistic means being based in reality. Unless you have specific information regarding EPIC delivery you're guessing just like anyone else. That's unrealistic.

BTW, I'm not saying your wrong. I'm saying that none of us knows the reality of the schedule. I actually voted pessimistically as opposed to optimistically. Neither of which is realistic. Semantics maybe, but I wanted to point out that being realistic is not realistic at this point in time. :huh:
 
I will add my guess too. I went with September in the poll. I would say 500 shipped by the end of Sept. (including my first). October we will see another 1000 shipped. And the rest of Stage 2 and Stage 3 by the end of the year (another 3000+).
 
Realistic means being based in reality. Unless you have specific information regarding EPIC delivery you're guessing just like anyone else. That's unrealistic.

BTW, I'm not saying your wrong. I'm saying that none of us knows the reality of the schedule. I actually voted pessimistically as opposed to optimistically. Neither of which is realistic. Semantics maybe, but I wanted to point out that being realistic is not realistic at this point in time. :huh:

So what you are saying is everybody's guess is unrealistic. In this case everybody who is guessing wants to be unrealistic including me. But when unreality becomes reality it is bad everybody.
 
I will add my guess too. I went with September in the poll. I would say 500 shipped by the end of Sept. (including my first). October we will see another 1000 shipped. And the rest of Stage 2 and Stage 3 by the end of the year (another 3000+).
Very plausible numbers and dates, IMO. But I wonder if they may hold back that 500 number and date until they are sure they have THAT camera that won't boomerang back for fine tuning. And when they really are certain, I think the first release number may have built up to about a thousand out the door as fast as they are paid for and can be shipped.

I also think that people with the cash in the account in the first release batch will be first to get their cameras. This would put you in pretty good shape, huh Curren?:smiley:
 
I also think that people with the cash in the account in the first release batch will be first to get their cameras. This would put you in pretty good shape, huh Curren?:smiley:

True. If they ship 1000 in the first batch I would get both my Epics at the same time. I would be in pretty good shape indeed!
 
So what you are saying is everybody's guess is unrealistic.

Exactly correct. The reality is we are just guessing. We're spinning our wheels, myself included.


In this case everybody who is guessing wants to be unrealistic including me. But when unreality becomes reality it is bad everybody.

As long as we understand that we're just guessing there is no good/bad attached to it. It's all speculation.

I point this out so everyone can relax and have a little more fun with it. But if this is taken too seriously it makes sense that some people will get frustrated.
 
I think I got my RED #476 about seven months after Soderberg started shooting CHE with one, so if history repeats itself, that puts an Epic in my hands in march, I need it sooner!
 
I'm still holding out for an October release. :)
 
I'm still holding out for an October release. :)

Yeah, me too. I figure if it is far enough along to shoot a feature film then go ahead and ship me mine. I have no problem using beta firmware or performing firmware upgrades when new features become available.
 
Yeah, me too. I figure if it is far enough along to shoot a feature film then go ahead and ship me mine. I have no problem using beta firmware or performing firmware upgrades when new features become available.

I agree. Even Alexa's firmware is not done yet as all the options in that camera have not been enabled yet. (At least from what I am reading on CML, anyway.)
 
I have changed my vote to December, being Tatoo is not or just getting out now, plan for at least 2 month shakedown and ramp up production and send out. The earliest we would see cameras is December.

Hope I am wrong.
 
Yeah, me too. I figure if it is far enough along to shoot a feature film then go ahead and ship me mine. I have no problem using beta firmware or performing firmware upgrades when new features become available.

ditto here, I have often wondered if stills functionality was holding up release - as adding new things like autofocus, flash sync, etc. etc. could significantly slow down the debug process when these features, which will be nice in the long run, really aren't necessary when if you need it now you can buy a canon t2i for $799 that does all that stuff just fine - and you can keep it for a BTS camera or sell it later for $600.

Please, Jim/RED - we want the camera to be relatively bug free, but if there are things that can be upgraded/added later via firmware updates, ship the cinematized/"non-still-ized" version sooner rather than later.
 
Back
Top