Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

What's going to happen to the Scarlets that get upgraded for Epics?

My Scarlet is already BT'd. I can't imagine selling a BT'd/2 unit. Unless it states that up front, but we're talking another price tier too so it just sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Would you buy a two-time BT's Scarlet?
 
Hopin they sold them battle tested with a upgrade option to dragon. If so, I will pick one up!

Doesn't make sense at all. Don't count on it. That would just be a solid way to throw money out of the window. Not a good deal for RED.
 
The UHD marketplace must be approaching pretty close to saturation. There may be reached a point where to turn BT Scarlets loose again may cannibalise the market. As Reds lowest tier product it may transpire that some other outfit's market will be the cannibalisee.

 
As the financial plateau is arrived at, I would not be too surprised to see a reprise of an urban legend I heard, of a Betacam final solution. Apparently, perfectly good traded analog cams were crushed to avoid cannibalising the prosumer MiniDV based market. That is a second-hand story I ran across some years back and is not based on researched fact, so please treat it with the same respect as a pinch of salt gathered up from a restaurant patio floor.

 
As far as a twice battle-tested camera is concerned, so long as the camera body is not all scarified and threadbare, a fairly good indicator of the violences it may have endured, the parts are tested, upgraded and QCed, there is no reason why a twice or thrice battle-tested camera should be discounted solely on account of the number of owners it has been through any more than a film camera was in the olden days.

The practice of "zero-timing" aircraft engines has been around for years with satisfactory and safe outcomes.
 
Last edited:
the scarlet i trade in for epic was a couple of months old, no sign of use and less then 100 hours on it...it would be crazy to scrap it....plenty of options, plenty of people who want to join the family...but i don't think these cameras (scarlet dragon) will come out before end 2013/beginning 2014....plenty of epics to upgrade first, then make enough dragon epics, upgrade all scarlet dragons,...
 
My Scarlet is already BT'd. I can't imagine selling a BT'd/2 unit. Unless it states that up front, but we're talking another price tier too so it just sounds like more trouble than it's worth. Would you buy a two-time BT's Scarlet?

A two-time BTd Scarlet would have gone through REDs quality control... I haven't kept up with the BT Scarlet threads but presumably those who purchased them haven't had an inordinate amount of trouble or I think there would have been many threads stating so.

So yes, I would buy a two-time BT Scarlet because it would have been very Battle Tested and QC at RED would probably catch any weakness in them and fix it.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt stage 3 trade in was for REDone M (executed) to EPIC-x? I remember 2 different redone owners I worked with who were stage 3 and didn't do the sensor upgrade process and waited it out for the trade in. And then all the BT redones were converted to MX.
So it's possible. Is it likely? Prob not for higher price to do the upgrade. But as time passes prices should lower. Either way there will be a BT scarlet in the stores, if its MX or Dragon. Only time will tell.
 
Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt stage 3 trade in was for REDone M (executed) to EPIC-x? I remember 2 different redone owners I worked with who were stage 3 and didn't do the sensor upgrade process and waited it out for the trade in. And then all the BT redones were converted to MX.
So it's possible. Is it likely? Prob not for higher price to do the upgrade. But as time passes prices should lower. Either way there will be a BT scarlet in the stores, if its MX or Dragon. Only time will tell.

I was one of those who traded an R-1 M sensor for a Stage 3 Epic X, with no penalty to me for not having upgraded to the MX sensor. But I think the R-1 BT program was mixed M and MX sensor cameras, IIRC.

Following that logic I would suppose any BT Scarlet program would be for cameras with the sensors as they were traded in. But I don't KNOW anything.

EDIT: OTOH, they will have a lot of Epic sensors and boards on their hands so, who knows?
 
Back
Top