Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Welcome to the all-new RED One forum

Tom Greenberg

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 25, 2009
Messages
1,482
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Grand Rapids, MI
Website
www.compass.edu
I guess tonight's pricing announcement will breathe a lot of new life into this R1 forum! We have an R1 MX with SSD, Bomb EVF and DSMC Quick Release (dovetail)...a very "modern" R1 configuration and one that is extremely reliable and compact. I think it is more than a match for Scarlet in most situations, and at $4000 is a screaming deal (even without an upgrade path to Dragon).
 
Hi there. I'm currently in the process of a BT Scarlet order but am thinking perhaps a switch to the Red One MX (mostly for the higher frame rates, onboard audio and higher resolution)...


Looking at the Red One MX at $4000, then say Red Bricks and Charger for $1450, Base Production Pack for $1250... Is there a decent cheap monitor option? I saw a thread saying the DP6 works well...

Would this be a decent functioning Red One package? At about $7500 that's pretty tempting.

Thanks in advance!
 
RED 5.6" LCDs only go for a few hundred dollars in the used market right now. Or you can use most SDI or HDMI monitors...DP6 or comparable TV-Logic. Don't forget SSD media and an SSD reader.
 
RED 5.6" LCDs only go for a few hundred dollars in the used market right now. Or you can use most SDI or HDMI monitors...DP6 or comparable TV-Logic. Don't forget SSD media and an SSD reader.

Thanks, good to know. Didn't include media as that's something I'll have to buy either way, was looking at the cost of getting the camera up and running compared to getting the Scarlet X up and running.
 
Ton's of RED One accessories are currently dirt cheap in the used market...I imagine that will be changing very quickly as BT R1's get snapped up and everyone is looking for lowest cost solutions.
 
Hi there. I'm currently in the process of a BT Scarlet order but am thinking perhaps a switch to the Red One MX (mostly for the higher frame rates, onboard audio and higher resolution)...


Looking at the Red One MX at $4000, then say Red Bricks and Charger for $1450, Base Production Pack for $1250... Is there a decent cheap monitor option? I saw a thread saying the DP6 works well...

Would this be a decent functioning Red One package? At about $7500 that's pretty tempting.

Thanks in advance!
dont forget Scarlet always have chance for Dragon...with Red One you dont have to buy touch screen and side handle :) you use SDI monitor and cheap 2x 48GB SSDs is more enough..
 
R1 @ 4k is a sweet deal, however you put it.

Last time I checked, there weren't any c500 upgrade path to the C300 either.

Which means that the R1 has finally become a "normal" camera in its new eol state.

That does not make the deal bad.

G
 
Ton's of RED One accessories are currently dirt cheap in the used market...I imagine that will be changing very quickly as BT R1's get snapped up and everyone is looking for lowest cost solutions.

In a few weeks, will be the right time to put my Old REDone accessories on Ebay for New REDone. I See $$ on my old accessories (lol)
 
I see some Nikon Prolock orders coming.. We are ready!!!
 
RED 5.6" LCDs only go for a few hundred dollars in the used market right now. Or you can use most SDI or HDMI monitors...DP6 or comparable TV-Logic. Don't forget SSD media and an SSD reader.

But will the Red tools such as the "traffic lights", histogram, etc show up on a third party LCD monitor? I ask as the these red lcds will all disapear and I dont live in the US...
 
Here's My theory for all new REDusers, I hope you can get something out of my experiences.

If you are wise guy you should to following,
1- Carefully read MOORE's LAW (very important)
2- Save money for better Glass
3- Buy Redone for $4k (If you plan on sleeping with your camera everyday)
Or Buy yourself rental insurance policy every year and Rent Epic/scarlet Cuz' both will be available $100/day at your local grocery store.

Note: $100 a day might sound like a rip off for Scarlet (lol).
 
I highly recommend Allstar Mount for your Red One. Incredible flexibility in mounting PL, Nikon, BNCR, Oct 19, Contax, Leica R, etc. I have been happy with the Optitek Nikon mount as well. The Allstar mount though really makes it easy to have a bunch of different lenses in your kit. Can go from Optimo to Nikon 85mm as quickly as you can change the lens. Pretty cool.

To keep your R1 light, make sure to use carbon fiber rods, screw-in filters (prefer mattebox when weight is not a factor), battery belt (keep battery weight off camera), and lightweight lenses. It's possible to get your rig between 15-18lbs depending on how you set it up.

Invest in something like Optimator or Null Target for making sure your flange depth is set correctly.
 
I see some Nikon Prolock orders coming.. We are ready!!!
Mine has been great! Made such a difference. Have moved to using Allstar mount because of needing to use PL and Nikons simultaneously. But otherwise would have been still using it. Great product!
 
I highly recommend Allstar Mount for your Red One. Incredible flexibility in mounting PL, Nikon, BNCR, Oct 19, Contax, Leica R, etc.

Plus +++1,
I had one (when I had Redone), Now I have one with my Epic.
 
Red One was and still is a great camera. The only real drawback is the boot-up time, which means you need to have a lot of charged batteries with you.
Think of all the great feature films, commercials, music videos, that have been shot with that camera. Now you can have it for $4K (plus price of media and accessories).
If you're into filmmaking in a "traditional" way it seems like a great option. Get some cheap second-hand accessories while you can and start filming! If SSD is too expensive, the hard drives are a good cheaper alternative.
 
Back
Top