Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Weapon overheating and batteries not working after repair at irvine

Manfred Baulig

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 25, 2008
Messages
285
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Germany
Hi,

first of all I'm really thankful that red helped me with their upgradeprogramm to go from 1 scarlet to now one Epic and Weapon CF with 8K (later)...

BUT!!!

How do I get a working camera?
Mine has been sent in 3 times now!!!
Batteries not aal working with element technica V-Mount plate (ok I can work around this with the old Battery belt) but most imporntantly the camera ALWAYS overheats till 81 degrees.
It doenst matter what mode. Even in manual somewhen, the fans stop working when I record (I'm not using the quiet record options)
My camera was already about a month in repair and I lost a 200K budget shoot for VW. This is really unaceptable to me.
I wonder if others have the same issues?!

To me it's the less functional camera of all red cams and I worked on the Redone, Scarlet, Epic-X, Epic Dragon and now Weapon CF.

If there is any hint or solution you guys know about, please let me know.


Regards



EDIT: Found a way for the overheating problem. Let the fans go 100% for 30 minutes, went back to adaptive, now the fans try to keep the temperature :D

EDIT 2: Works only for a short period of time

You can delete the Thread or leave it, if someone has the same problem.
 
I lost a 200K budget shoot for VW. This is really unaceptable to me.
I wonder if others have the same issues?!

I'm sorry about your problems, but if there was a problem on set that would be covered by the production insurance I think. If there wasn't a problem on set but through lack of camera why didn't you rent for that specific job?

As for the problems, no I haven't seen any of those. I feel that the fans are louder than the quiet mode on my old Epic with the Fan2.0, not the "hiss" but the actual fans. But I've not tested batteries yet so I don't know if it's related.
 
It was a quick offer to me and my team as they needed a commercial...job went to someone other as my gear was at repair again.
Lucky me I found a solution for the overheating :D
Too bad the element technica is still not working with all of my batteries.
Lucky me I've two battery belts from the days, when Scarlet had the same issues :D
 
at the moment I've 3 of them, but when they ask for weapon specific---cant afford 2 weapon CF at the moment.
 
Hope it's not a trend. My camera's been back in the first month with audio issues. Faulty FLEX cable.
No overheating or fan noise issues to report though, even when shooting in hot weather or doing longer takes. Keeping the temp steady in adaptive mode.
 
at the moment I've 3 of them, but when they ask for weapon specific---cant afford 2 weapon CF at the moment.

mine is at Abelcine and can be shipped out for jobs anywhere not just where they are located if you ever are in need for a CF quickly?
 
P.I.A. Have not had a single issue with MG#349 but maybe the lighter boards less heat? Who the heck knows. Sound fine with powered mics like VideoMic X. Is this happening in general or doing 4K pro rez or anything you can name that is pushing things a bit? Battery thing a pain for sure. Been sticking with the XLs for light doc style stuff - studio just plugged in. Concerning tho that these things keep popping up.
 
Last edited:
mine is at Abelcine and can be shipped out for jobs anywhere not just where they are located if you ever are in need for a CF quickly?

If I would know how to add you to my friendslist here :D
Will remember it.

THX for the offer.
 
Actually it works just for a few minutes...after 10 minutes, it starts getting hot again.
Outside temp 35 degrees as chosen, sensor goes up to 80 degress and I cant record anymore.

So I go to manual 100% when there is a break and go back to adaptive.
But this is really tiresome. Since the cam has been out for a month now since january.

To me it really seems like a software problem which should be getting solved.
 
Just monitor on the Cam. Happens even on ac adaptor.
No prores just 6K WS 25fps-100fps.
 
I would say this sounds very tiresome and Beta-esque indeed. Sorry! I mean for real you have sent the same camera back 3 times and no joy?
Just R3D at these rates and no pro res with the ac plugged in makes no sense. I think 3 times is the lemon law and maybe you need a new camera?
 
Hi,

first of all I'm really thankful that red helped me with their upgradeprogramm to go from 1 scarlet to now one Epic and Weapon CF with 8K (later)...

BUT!!!



How do I get a working camera?
Mine has been sent in 3 times now!!!
Batteries not aal working with element technica V-Mount plate (ok I can work around this with the old Battery belt) but most imporntantly the camera ALWAYS overheats till 81 degrees.
It doenst matter what mode. Even in manual somewhen, the fans stop working when I record (I'm not using the quiet record options)
My camera was already about a month in repair and I lost a 200K budget shoot for VW. This is really unaceptable to me.
I wonder if others have the same issues?!

To me it's the less functional camera of all red cams and I worked on the Redone, Scarlet, Epic-X, Epic Dragon and now Weapon CF.

If there is any hint or solution you guys know about, please let me know.


Regards



EDIT: Found a way for the overheating problem. Let the fans go 100% for 30 minutes, went back to adaptive, now the fans try to keep the temperature :D

You can delete the Thread or leave it, if someone has the same problem.

If I had to send in my cam 3 times I'd be LIVID! Unacceptable and absolutely enough for a brand switch. Red REALLY needs to take special care of customers with REPEAT issues. Not cool! Like I said, if I was you I'd be DONE w red. And that's coming from someone who really likes the system...
 
Problem is I specialized my business on Red (and paid already for the 8K upgrade), but those thoughts came already on my mind.
 
Hope it's not a trend. My camera's been back in the first month with audio issues. Faulty FLEX cable.

Hi Milan,

are your internal mic levels higher now?

Or was the faulty flex cable just related to the rear audio input and internal input levels are as low as before?

Thanks!
 
Back
Top