Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Weapon Cages???

Joined
Feb 25, 2013
Messages
10
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Website
www.etnstudios.com
What is everyone's thoughts on cages for the Weapon? I would love to get some input on the Tilta cages and the Wooden camera "Cage". About to drop some money for one but haven't been able to decide.

Thanks!
 
I use Wooden Camera accessories exclusively for all my camera packages. I love their quality, well-thought out designs, and great customer service...all at very reasonable prices.
 
I'm seriously looking into the Tilta packages. Knowing the Alexa Mini cage is designed in partnership with Keslow Camera, I feel a little more optimistic about their build/functionality.
 
wooden Camera for life!!!
 
i actually bought and tried both wooden camera and off hollywood and my solution was a hybrid system. The top plate by offhollywood is made with more thought i think. i owned the wooden camera one also and sold it. Wifi is cleared, the threads are nice. less bulk. I also like the side arms for offhollywood better. The thread pattern is arri standard so you can use a lot of 3rd party mount stuff designed for arri standard. I put an Upgrade Innovations Rosette on the side which Mark from Offhollywood told me about. For bottom plate i went with woodencamera. It looked more protected. All the threads of both the wooden camera and offhollywood stuff lined up. Tho the side arms, the wooden camera version is slightly less bulk but also skinnier. For small bits and parts the Wooden Camera stuff is a killer! pogo cables and quick released are life saving.
 
i actually bought and tried both wooden camera and off hollywood and my solution was a hybrid system. The top plate by offhollywood is made with more thought i think. i owned the wooden camera one also and sold it. Wifi is cleared, the threads are nice. less bulk. I also like the side arms for offhollywood better. The thread pattern is arri standard so you can use a lot of 3rd party mount stuff designed for arri standard. I put an Upgrade Innovations Rosette on the side which Mark from Offhollywood told me about. For bottom plate i went with woodencamera. It looked more protected. All the threads of both the wooden camera and offhollywood stuff lined up. Tho the side arms, the wooden camera version is slightly less bulk but also skinnier. For small bits and parts the Wooden Camera stuff is a killer! pogo cables and quick released are life saving.

I am going with a similar setup for my Epic-W. Wooden Camera bottom plate and 15mm LWS rod support bracket. Offhollywood Top Plate and Side Arms.

These little Side Plates are also very handy:
https://shop.offhollywoodny.com/collections/mounting-support/products/dsmc2-side-plate
 
Thanks guys! Do any of you have photos of your setup? I really like WC's top plate because of the lemo connections. I personally dislike the new monitor connection.

No one has tried the Tilta cage? It looks quite impressive but their site sucks and I can only find them on ebay which scares me to pay $1300 to some person in China.
 
Last edited:
I have tons of photos of all my camera rigs on Instagram. Search for "Braincell Camera".
 
The Tilta cages look great, but yes, their website really sucks. Hard to know what you're getting. I like the unreleased cage "skin" that incorporates everything including the wireless motors a la the Mini...hearing one month out on that piece. $3300ish is just an unbelievable deal for all that's thrown in. A dream.

WC's riser thing has always bugged the hell out of me. I have one of their dovetail clamps for my C300, and i totally hate the extra piece of mounting anything to a baseplate. A screw always manages to barely come loose! Wish they had a QR option like Red.

My Arri Mini has the same issue too...the little BP-4 is like a total WTF on an otherwise excellent design. Modular assault plate and QR plz Arri?

I know zip about Off Hollywood, but they're doing the riser thing as well.

One obvious issue with Red this time--have they completely given up on the cage/rib idea? Offering nothing for Weapon I see???

Bah Humbug! I'm getting my Helium this week, and for the fourth straight time (One, Epic, Dragon, Helium) I'm completely confused as how to build this camera.
 
I picked up the SmallRig Top and bottom plate. I'm waiting to see what shakes out and the top and bottom plate combined were like $40 from SmallRig. I've been really happy with what I've gotten from them in the past. Nothing that's out today seems to be what will 'stick' so I figure, something cheap to hold me over until a clear winner emerges is the right move at this point.
 
Weapon Cages

Weapon Cages

Just saying it is sweet!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4752.jpg
    IMG_4752.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4751.jpg
    IMG_4751.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
Just saying it is sweet!

Peter, I am thinking of buying version "C" . what you have shown is version "A". Would you be able to write a review and or recommend there products as a DSMC 2 accessory? I'd love to hear your experience and your opinion on Tilta's gear for the Weapon.

Thanks.

RG
 
Gavin,
are solid? ...screwing other accessories, etc.

I picked up the SmallRig Top and bottom plate. I'm waiting to see what shakes out and the top and bottom plate combined were like $40 from SmallRig. I've been really happy with what I've gotten from them in the past. Nothing that's out today seems to be what will 'stick' so I figure, something cheap to hold me over until a clear winner emerges is the right move at this point.
 
Peter,

Looks awesome! Do you have the flip out lever which houses the RedTouch? If not, where do you put the LCD with that long handle?

Also how is their baseplate? Dovetail?
 
Gavin,
are solid? ...screwing other accessories, etc.

Soooo I just received the SmallRig stuff. It's solid. I mean, it's solid metal, exactly what you would expect. But I can't recommend the bottom plate at this point since it only has one 3/8" mounting points apparently to both the camera and a dovetail which makes it incompatible with like the Wooden 15mm and 19mm studio bridgeplates.

Their quick releases are also pretty nice. Although also a bit of a head scratcher since there is only one mounting screw. Not sure how you're supposed to prevent it from rotating then.
 
I am just starting to use the Tilta Cage.... I can take the top handle off and just use my 7 inch touch directly connected. Or there is a mount for the monitor and multiple cables to connect the monitors.

All good so far
 
Seems high quality ...but a little heavy. Of course it's more than a cage... connections, etc. It can replace the RED modules.

I am just starting to use the Tilta Cage.... I can take the top handle off and just use my 7 inch touch directly connected. Or there is a mount for the monitor and multiple cables to connect the monitors.

All good so far
 
I would say the top handle is the heaviest item. The I/O module is as light as the Base Expander from RED and the baseplate is as light as most. The top plate is a bit heavier but has great power options and of course the AB Gold battery mount is built in.
 
I would say the top handle is the heaviest item. The I/O module is as light as the Base Expander from RED and the baseplate is as light as most. The top plate is a bit heavier but has great power options and of course the AB Gold battery mount is built in.

Peter - have you had any issues with your rig so far?

I was going to buy the ESR-T01-A, the same as in your pics. I tried to buy it from a distributor friend of mine in China where I'm based, but she said Tilta suspended sales recently, until they are officially released in a few months. Another distributor said they have had some QC problems related to RED not providing boards for Tilta. Tilta is saying they will be available "end of February." But several eBay vendors connected to Tilta have active listings for each of the rigs.

I need at least 2 SDI outs and use Anton Bauer Gold Mount batts, so these look like a good solution for my needs. I'm on holiday now through mid January and am gearing up my new Epic-W for projects starting as soon as I get back to China in a few weeks, so I need an i/o solution with AB gold mount by then. The eBay vendors I'm looking at are based near me in China, and warranty the rig for a year. I'm just reluctant due to the rumor I heard from my distributor friend, who I've never known to be the type to start baseless rumors.

What's your take? Anyone else have some perspective on these awesome looking rigs?
 
Back
Top