Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Using Leica R lenses w/Red One MX

Aaron Hunt

Active member
Joined
May 29, 2016
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hey folks,

I just bought myself a Red One MX and am considering investing in a set of Leica R lenses. In the Alternate Mount thread, it is stated that you only need two pieces to go about this: The All Star Universal Mount, and the adapter. However, on the site it also shows a base mount as a requirement. Do I need to buy one to be able to use the All Star/Leica Mount? I assume the base mount I'd need is the DSMC one?

Thanks,

Aaron
 
Interesting, first I've heard of this! Have you tried it yourself? The one thing is that I do like the 'universality' of the All Star Mount. Are you experienced with using them? Do you know about the base mount question?
 
I have gone with the Leitax RED ONE EF mount. I'm still in the early stages with it but it's well built. Only problem I have had so far is that cine lenses like the Canon 15.5-47 seem to twist the mount when taking the lens off. The way the lens mount works is by screwing the EF mount into the collimation mount so that you can switch out to other Leitax mounts. You probably won't run into this with smaller lenses though.

And Nick is right. You'll want to take this all the way and get the Leitax mounts. It eliminates issues that adapters can have sometimes. You'll just have rock solid mounting as you would with the native C/Y mount.
 
Thanks Steve, so all together I'd need 5 pieces to run this mount? Base Ring, Collimation Ring, Leitax EF Mount, PL mount for Leitax Coupling Rings +Coupling ring?
 
I have used the All Star mount.

I much prefer the universality of an EOS mount via Leitax.

Thanks for the input Nick. Also, I noticed you're quite into Contax Zeiss glass. I'm curious to know if you've had experienced with both Leica R, and Contax Glass, and/or have a preference for one over the other.
 
Thanks Steve, so all together I'd need 5 pieces to run this mount? Base Ring, Collimation Ring, Leitax EF Mount, PL mount for Leitax Coupling Rings +Coupling ring?
You only need base ring, collimation ring, and the EF mount. If you want to use PL glass, you can get that mount as well, but not required.
 
Back
Top