Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Testing the new captive Nikon mount

Blair Thornton

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 27, 2013
Messages
375
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Toronto
Website
www.beachroadfilms.com
Totally impressed with this new Nikon mount, auto focus works like a Nikon DSLR, albeit lens is noisier, autofocus works nicely.

What totally surprised me is how the Scarlet-W handles DX lens, specifically the Nikkor 10.5 mm lens, On our Nikon D4, using the DX lens in full frame mode gives wild matting. I was expecting similar results on the Scarlet-W, but no. If I shoot 5K, I see some vinetting on the sides. If I shoot 4K, I only see the fish eye effect of the lens.

Totally shocked. Phil, any thoughts/comments?

https://player.vimeo.com/video/217760280

Good job RED !
 
Not shocking. Scarlet-W is a S35 camera which is similar to the APC/DX format that the lens is designed for.

However, what most people who use that lens do is shave off the hood for better coverage:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3720479

Used to use them on my HDRI rigs and shaved a few myself.
 
Totally impressed with this new Nikon mount, auto focus works like a Nikon DSLR, albeit lens is noisier, autofocus works nicely.

Good job RED !

Interesting, is there anything different except the captive screws, new internals?
 
Back
Top