Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Strange, missing pixels? Anyone seen this before?

steve green

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 27, 2012
Messages
1,048
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
Thousand Oaks, Ca
Hi everyone,
Yesterday, I (actually a client) discovered strange red dots in our footage. I've posted a dropbox link with an R3D which shows the issue. There's two places (red dots) which can be seen when you blow up the footage to 200%, although the editor saw it without enlarging. One is under the left ear lobe of the talent, the other is top left of the frame. I've included a screen grab so it's easier to see the top left one.

A bit of background, Epic Dragon, firmware 5.3.42. I've since upgraded to 6.0.40 and did a new black shading and I still see the red dots. On the display I can't see them unless you turn on "focus assist". Then I can see one large one but it's not where these others are in the footage. So strange. The editor did mention that occasionally they come and go in different parts of the frame. I did turn "focus assist" on and off during shooting. Could it possibly have something to do with this?

I'm at a loss, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I should add that before I knew of the issue I shipped the camera to Chicago for a job that starts on Weds. I may be looking for a Dragon there next week if there's no user solution.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2hby976a9ioo8v/A003_C008_110389.0003636F.R3D?dl=0
 
Last edited:
I see it sometimes. And I saw it on some posted R3D here.
 
Have you shoot any footage with lasers on set? If the dot appears in different spots it may not be that.

Can you isolate the SSD used for these clips? Is it the same card? Maybe a bad sector?
 
Have you shoot any footage with lasers on set? If the dot appears in different spots it may not be that.

Can you isolate the SSD used for these clips? Is it the same card? Maybe a bad sector?


Hal,
The issue is on a least two SSD mags.....No lasers, either
 
I get them sometimes too, even when my epic was brand new, seems like a type of fixed pattern noise to me. I think black-shading again helps but I do still see them afterwards.

I recently blackshaded after the camera was on a full 30 minutes and it was much better than when I just did it when the sensor / core temps were 50/65 but the camera only on 5 minutes or so. Since I did the blackshade this way, I haven't noticed them, but it might be a coincidence. I would love to know if that helps others.

They seem to be the same pixels, last for 10-15 frames and go away, sometimes returning later in the footage.
 
Back
Top