Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Stage 4 - Reservations are now Open.

I think we all understand Stage 3 is quite a process. And are still very appreciative for the Stage 3 program.
No Drama intended.
Any clarification on time frames, and overall process with Stage 3/3.5 is always appreciated, when the information is available.
Personally, I'm obviously very hopeful that Stage 3/3.5 wouldn't suffer any delays due to stage 4 cameras being allocated and shipped.
We realize you guys are slammed, and doing everything you can, and also understand that this is business. We're just always hoping for Good News, and for Stage 3/3.5, this felt less like good news...

Again, respectfully, and appreciatively..

Nope.. a stage 4 camera won't bump a stage 3 camera that is ready to ship... stage 3 will take precedence.

But I'm telling you.. the whole send your camera in, have it checked etc, is going to be a long process. and because we are at the mercy of customer's own timelines on when they can send their camera in.. it is absolutely impossible to put any timeline on it whatsoever.
 
If you're getting full trade in value on a 5 year old camera, you should probably try less hard to find something to whine about.

If it were my camera company, the trade-off for this massive gift would be that you'd be LAST in line. Gotta make my paper first :P


Lee, We are last in line.
Before the stages program was ever announced, it had been said that Red was giving early adopters the opportunity to Trade in their Red Ones, and receive the credit towards Epic. They have continued to honor that, and we are grateful. No one is trying to start problems or add drama. No one is trying to "find something to whine about"

Just hoping to find out how much longer we will be waiting. I personally was unable to sign up for Stage 2 when it came around, but given the opportunity now, I would've loved the chance to get in on that instead. I still wish I could.
But that time is passed, and now we're all anxiously waiting our turn. If it wasn't such a deal, we'd all be jumping on Stage 4 right now because it's likely we'd get our cameras sooner, but it is, and we are still waiting.
Just always hopeful that our number is called...
 
Nope.. a stage 4 camera won't bump a stage 3 camera that is ready to ship... stage 3 will take precedence.

But I'm telling you.. the whole send your camera in, have it checked etc, is going to be a long process. and because we are at the mercy of customer's own timelines on when they can send their camera in.. it is absolutely impossible to put any timeline on it whatsoever.

That is completely understandable. And again, we appreciate this program, and are very grateful!

One question Jarred... This may sound silly, but I've not had the opportunity to make it out to Red and say hello to most of you in person. Any idea if I spent a week in LA area, would it be possible to bring in my Red One, and potentially go home at the end of the week with my Epic? (of course assuming my camera is ready etc etc.)
Just curious. I know that may be asking too much too soon.
 
Stage 4 cameras will not ship before Stage 2 cameras are complete. Stage 3.. its a process.. remember, we are taking back cameras that are sometimes years old and giving you just as much money as you paid for them the day you bought it... remember that part before we get into a bunch of drama again :)

Anyways.. we need to be able to take new camera orders during that long stage 3/3.5 process... because it is going to take along time.

As generous as we are with this trade in program, we are still a business, and still need to make money...we can't give away money forever while blocking new orders because of some perception of order and still keep our doors open. its really as simple as that.

If you ever want to see a program like this again... or want us to keep doing what we do for years to come.. you guys need to be a little more gentle and understanding.. OK?
Jared,

Yes, I remember the big drama that ended up in the creation and generous offer today called "Epic-X" after a four day vacation that Jim took to sort out a dilema being discussed in this forum a while ago. How can I forget it, if I received an e-mail from Jim to discuss the matter (that is private, and does not need to be made public at any point).


Fast forward to today: As I stated, I know that my question and opinion was not going to be popular, specially for potential stage 4 clients. I was asking for clarification based on a new statement that I, personally, never heard or was aware of before. Just that: a clarification so that I can understand the implication and consequences of such new information. That has nothing to do with our level of gratitude, popularity, etc. Red will continue to rock, but there are times that an unpopular question has to be raised and answered in an atmosphere that nobody feels uncomfortable. I really think this is not much to ask from Red, specially from a "scammed" guy... let alone to create a potential cancellation of similar programs in the future.

Respectfully,
 
we are at the mercy of customer's own timelines on when they can send their camera in.. it is absolutely impossible to put any timeline on it whatsoever.

Hey Jarred, isn't there a time limit (30 days or so after notification) for customers to pay the balance for the upgrade, and send in the camera?
I thought that was put in place in order to make things reasonable and predictable for Red.
Red will the sending out the Stage 3 notifications at the pace it likes, so you'd know exactly to the day when Stage 3 ends - 30 days after the last notification email... and it's dictated by the speed at which you can or want to make Stage 3 cameras, and nothing much else.

unless I've got my facts wrong...

Just saying...
 
Any idea if I spent a week in LA area, would it be possible to bring in my Red One, and potentially go home at the end of the week with my Epic? (of course assuming my camera is ready etc etc.)
Just curious. I know that may be asking too much too soon.

Understand the process is pretty complex as you need to send in your RED ONE, we need to evaluate it, get back to you your credit amount, get in payment for the balance due, then process the order. The last step there is usually a few business days in itself. So, we are going to go as fast as we can, but there will be communication back and forth between RED and the customer - and we can only control our end.

BC
 
Understand the process is pretty complex as you need to send in your RED ONE, we need to evaluate it, get back to you your credit amount, get in payment for the balance due, then process the order. The last step there is usually a few business days in itself. So, we are going to go as fast as we can, but there will be communication back and forth between RED and the customer - and we can only control our end.

BC

Understood..

I suppose there's more convenient ways to come say hello :)
 
Hey Jarred, isn't there a time limit (30 days or so after notification) for customers to pay the balance for the upgrade, and send in the camera?
I thought that was put in place in order to make things reasonable and predictable for Red.
Red will the sending out the Stage 3 notifications at the pace it likes, so you'd know exactly to the day when Stage 3 ends - 30 days after the last notification email... and it's dictated by the speed at which you can or want to make Stage 3 cameras, and nothing much else.

unless I've got my facts wrong...

Just saying...

Even in a 30 day window, it is pretty unpredictable. Bulk of the group may come in the first week, bulk may come in the last day. So, there will be spikes up and down, for sure. Like Andrew laid out, Stage 3/3.5 still have priority.
 
this is pretty nice informations here thank you for the feedback that's really help to prepare for the upgrade
 
Thanks to everyone that is joining in with us in our RED world with your new EPIC orders. Was a fun night last night talking with so many people that have been shooting all kinds of wonderful things on RED ONEs and EPICs. And so much excitement about the ability for new customers to order EPICs now.

+ Ted

Unfortunately I could't go and see your presentation when you were around here November 3rd, but I'm certain there will be other opportunities. Hope to see you and the rest of the Red team in your World Tour. Hope its here, or in Hong-Kong, and I hope I have my Epic with me to ask and learn all those small tips and tricks to get the most out of it! I know I can get most of those here on reduser from the fantastic community but still would like to see what you bring in the World Tour. If I could have a chance to see my footage projected in 4K, that would be excellent ! :)

As for the Stage 3 and 3.5 guys, I think that Red is ramping up production. Even if there's a mix between stage 4 and 3 and 3.5, we will be seeing cameras coming out faster. Remember Jim said the "end of hurt" time to be February. We all should expect at least this to be a possible shipping date. It can go even further, but at least a 2 month wait.
 
When will Stage 2 be completed ?
 
Okay, finally decided to "CANCEL" the orders for our SCARLET X cameras... And get a "BUNCH" of EPIC-X instead... BUT....

QUESTION FOR THE BOYS @ RED...

If I pre-order several EPIC-X KITs now, possibly like up to "10" of them in preparation of the opening of the new Studios,
can I then transfer the cameras ownership of record form my name to the new company we are forming, without loosing the "YEAR" warranty?

Reason is I could save the company over 88k, and even if we do loose the one year warranty, if we can purchase Red Armor for them later at say even 3k each,
I'll still save the company over 68k, but if RED does not provide with a RED Armor for transferred cameras, then I'll have 10 EPIC-X with only 90 Day warranty... NO GOOD.
 
Understand the process is pretty complex as you need to send in your RED ONE, we need to evaluate it, get back to you your credit amount, get in payment for the balance due, then process the order. The last step there is usually a few business days in itself. So, we are going to go as fast as we can, but there will be communication back and forth between RED and the customer - and we can only control our end.

BC

It IS a complex process as you rightly said, Brent.

One question: will RED Europe be able to do the evaluation themselves, on-site, or will all cameras have to go back to the factory for evaluation?

Mike
 
The consequences don't seem to exist at all. As stage three owners send in the cameras and they have their evaluations complete, that camera gets priority in the allocation order ahead of stage 4 cameras. The issue here is that Red can build the Epic-X cameras (likely) significantly faster than they can perform the evaluations on the stage 3/3.5 cameras, so why hold up orders for stage 4 when allocating those cameras won't affect the delivery date of the stage 3 camera?

Let's really think this through, before we merely look at the situation superficially.

One major consequence is that a late Stage 3 customer, who has been a Red customer for several years, will more than likely receive an Epic-X with a serial number much higher than a brand new stage 4 customer. This becomes a consequence when it comes time to upgrade to Dragon. Since these "send it in" processes are painfully slow, having higher serial number becomes a major disadvantage.

Since Red knows EXACTLY how many people have committed to Stage 3/3.5 as of the 15th, those serial numbers should be assigned and reserved, before Stage 4 cameras are issued a serial number. In my opinion, this should be done now before it's too late to be instituted.
 
Pretty simple. We have to wait for a Stage 3/3.5 to come back to us for trade-in. If just one Stage 3/3.5 is out on a prolonged shoot and cannot come back to us for a year, should we sit here with EPIC-Xs on the shelf and Stage 4 orders in the system - and not ship anything? We cannot control when you send in a Stage 3/3.5 camera, you do.

BC

Brent, would it also then make sense to ship stage 3 orders to those of us whose cameras are ready to send in for evaluation right now, instead of waiting for busy stage 3 cameras to come back from year long shoots?
Just wondering if this is also an option you are considering.

Respectfully,
 
My Red One has been sitting on a shelf since June - since i got the Epic M and hasnt been needed - mines is ready to go right now. Just need to find the packaging box somewhere in a massive pile of boxes.

Andi
 
Back
Top