Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Shoulder mount options for EPIC-W

Manoj R C

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 1, 2012
Messages
152
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Charlotte,NC
Dear RU Epic-w owners,

What all are the various options for shoulder mounting EPIC-W? Camera will be used for full length feature movie productions.
So the reliability and 'rentability' should be the top criteria.

Please help and suggest few top end brands..

Thanks..
 
Are you looking for a dovetail solution or a quick release solution?

For dovetail, two big brands that come to mind are the Element Technica Mantis Rig and the Wooden Camera handheld system.

I'm not too well versed in quick release systems so I won't be of much help there.
 
I use the Zacuto shoulder VCT base as it gives your the lowest center of gravity of the camera of all options out there, AND you can push the center of gravity of the camera toward the lens mount. The body is so small that the center of graviti isn't the camera itself anymore.

The good thing is that you don't need to add any hardware to go from tripod to handheld.

But Zacuto isn't probably what your would see in a renting company wich is a shame as the design is much better. Arri could copy it with better quality material though ;-)


Here is my shoulder rig with the RTmotion Latitude Sidekick.
Custom made pad molded to my shoulder.


I'm loving it!


 
I switched from Zacuto's VCT system over to Wooden Camera's V2 and absolutely love it. The dovetail lets you find the center of gravity easily. My favorite thing is being able to slide the camera all the way forward to center the gravity when shooting low mode via the top handle then sliding the camera right back and it's ready for the shoulder again. Great build quality too, love the black leather grips.
 
Thanks everyone. Interesting to see that nobody suggested DSMC base production pack. Curious to know the reason.
 
Thanks everyone. Interesting to see that nobody suggested DSMC base production pack. Curious to know the reason.

I'm using the DSMC production pack and I love it. You can assemble it numerous ways and the image shown on the Red site isn't necessarily the optimal one (at least for me). I prefer a more compact setup with my eyes aligned with the nodal point of the camera. If you add a few other pieces to the base kit then it can fulfill almost any needs. The top plate from Offhollywood (or alike) is necessary if you want to use the handle that come with the kit in conjunction with a lemo-A adapter on the top of the camera. I'm also lurking the GDU handles to integrate them in my setup.
 
Thanks Patrick,

I think the pro version is very interesting to balance the Epic on the shoulder depending on the lens used.

Do you use an EVF ? I would like to buy the DSMC2 RED EVF but I don't know if I had to take the Red Mount Pack or not...
 
Hey guys, just came across this thread. I recently purchased a Wooden Camera V2 premium shoulder rig for my Raven. I'm trying to mount the 7 inch DSMC 2 monitor underslung from the top using a wooden camera 8 inch ultra arm but after a few minutes the monitor starts to dip. Seems like the ultra arm can't take the weight and was wondering if anyone has tried to mount the 7 inch monitor with an arm for use for handheld, and if so, what arm would do the trick. Thanks in advance.
 
Hello,
I've used a Noga arm for long (25cm I think) and it works well but now I have the Zacuto recoil handle and EVF attachement.
 
I'm not sure about the RED EVF but I just bought the Blackmagic ursa EVF with Woodencamera kit.
The battery mount is the Woodencamera IDX plate for Weapon.


Here with the Celere HS lens and the RTmotion sidekick


Hey Pat, cool rig!

Off topic, from your pic, I see that you are using Red 4.7 (or 5") Touch with Grid loupe. How is your experience with this setup in Evf shoulder configuration?
And have you been able to test your new Blackmagic Evf with WC mod? Willing to share your experience? Compared to Red Bomb Evf?

Cheers,
Thai
 
Last edited:
Hey Pat, cool rig!

Off topic, from your pic, I see that you are using Red 4.7 (or 5") Touch with Grid loupe. How is your experience with this setup in Evf shoulder configuration?
And have you been able to test your new Blackmagic Evf with WC mod? Willing to share your experience? Compared to Red Bomb Evf?

Cheers,
Thai

Hello,
It's been a long time I didn't use the Bomb EVF, so I can't compare directly.
I love my Grid viewfinder on the 5'' RED Touch lcd, I've bought a LCD because I don't want to burn the rental screen with the sun (wich sometimes happens when the camera is on sticks and you leave the camera).
The down side of the Grid on the LCD is that it takes more place than an EVF (bomb, BM) and the resolution is really low (800x480) but the immersive experience is unbeated and is suprisingly enough to pull focus on.

The BM image is crisp (full HD) but a bit small in my taste (you can't change the optical block) the peaking feature is really accurate to pull focus (even better than A7s2's).
I also like the mangify button (that works while recording! Ha! ;-) ) obviously on the HD-SDI signal not on the 6k ;-)

I'll use both depending on the camera movement. (shoulder or dolly)


Pat
 
Hello,
It's been a long time I didn't use the Bomb EVF, so I can't compare directly.
I love my Grid viewfinder on the 5'' RED Touch lcd, I've bought a LCD because I don't want to burn the rental screen with the sun (wich sometimes happens when the camera is on sticks and you leave the camera).
The down side of the Grid on the LCD is that it takes more place than an EVF (bomb, BM) and the resolution is really low (800x480) but the immersive experience is unbeated and is suprisingly enough to pull focus on.

The BM image is crisp (full HD) but a bit small in my taste (you can't change the optical block) the peaking feature is really accurate to pull focus (even better than A7s2's).
I also like the mangify button (that works while recording! Ha! ;-) ) obviously on the HD-SDI signal not on the 6k ;-)

I'll use both depending on the camera movement. (shoulder or dolly)


Pat

Thanks for sharing which was very helpful.
Well, sounds like Red Lcd with Grid loupe compares well with my Zacuto Evf Pro. Both screen have the same resolution, and with the loupe the experience is immersive. Advantage for Zacuto, it is much smaller and magnify function works while recording.

Last question though, don't you like the Red Bomb Evf that you haven't used it for a while? Is it the Lcos or Oled?

Thanks,
Thai
 
Back
Top