Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

SHOOTING an EPIC AD on an EPIC... WITH CANONS & GLASS !!!!

Absolutely fantastic, Mark. Seriously. That kicked ass.

Kegan

Cheers :)

Did you use any filtration...diffusion or otherwise with the Canon glass?

Just a Singray VND... But I never go over 5 stops when using it...



Why is this?

Maybe you haven't used good PL glass.. ? The difference is major

The Canon glass in manual focus mode dosn't have any end stops it just keeps rotating...It would be better if it had end stops at minimum and infinity for quick reference!

Bingo.... and the focus ring is so short you constantly run past the sharp point.
 
The Canon glass in manual focus mode dosn't have any end stops it just keeps rotating...It would be better if it had end stops at minimum and infinity for quick reference!

Thanks Peter, I missed your reply earlier. I have regular Canon lenses (ie. not L glass) and they stop rotating at each end point, I'm not sure if that's what you're referring to.


Maybe you haven't used good PL glass.. ? The difference is major

No I haven't used any PL lenses, only Leica M and regular non-L Canon lenses.

Bingo.... and the focus ring is so short you constantly run past the sharp point.

I think I follow what you're both referring to. The M lenses are manual focus only and have short rotating focusing rings to aid in quick manual focusing, but I find the Canon lenses I've used have comparatively long focusing rotations but I assume you're talking about when you have a follow focus mechanism strapped in? Apologies in advance if I'm completely off track with this.
 
its really very interesting how your TVC's dont need lots of voice over narration to tell a story. The powerful images work on their own. I look forward to more from you. Any links to some of your arriraw or Alexa work? I would love to see the difference.
 
its really very interesting how your TVC's dont need lots of voice over narration to tell a story. The powerful images work on their own. I look forward to more from you. Any links to some of your arriraw or Alexa work? I would love to see the difference.

I don't shoot ARRI RAW... It's to heavy to do deal with. But I have tested a lot before i made the decision not to shoot it.
Arri PRO RES.. I have used as well on B camera. But never shot a whole TVC with it yet, and probably wont, as I get far better results from RED EPICs. And I get alot more shot in a day.. I'm to used to small EPIC cameras now... the size of the ALEXA just slows me down now. It's hard to go backwards.
I'm not big on color baked PRO RES files either... Unless I'm making my own PRO RES with my own log color settings applied.

The difference between ARRI and RED images is quite substantial. I can easily make my RED footage look like ARRI's, not sweat..very easy to do. But know way can I make Arri images look as crisp or as clean and as sharp as EPIC images.
So if I shoot ARRI and RED combined, the ARRI's look dictates what we do with the RED images. Which annoys me know end. !


Just wonderful. Really inspiring work. This is the best Red footage that I have seen.

-Dave Dessel
New York City

Thanks Dave :) I try my best.
 
Mark, speechless. Utterly awesome. When can I enroll in the Toia University of Digital Cinema?
 
Great stuff Mark, I honestly miss my Canon glass some times, for this I just bought a Canon Al mount, just for those times when I miss it too much and want to lay back with it.

I only use canon glass for fun mate. It is good, but not the best mechanically. Optically some canon glass is up there with the best. I shot parts of this job on them just to prove a point to the community that you can actually do million dollar projects on it with minimal compromise.
There is a miss conception out there that canon optics are average, when in fact i can mix it with Master primes glass without noticing. During grading, even I was confused what was what...
Good fun glass to own, but Im still a PL fan.


Mark, speechless. Utterly awesome. When can I enroll in the Toia University of Digital Cinema?

Thats funny, I used to call my old studio complex TOIA UNI... hahaha..

I mentor a few people already, some are doing quite well. If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask. I like seeing young people do well.
 
...


Thats funny, I used to call my old studio complex a UNI... hahaha..

I mentor a few people already, some are doing quite well. If you have questions, don;t hesitate to ask. I like seeing young people do well.


Hey Mark -Haha, that's actually kind of funny as I am sure I am a bit older than you. This is my third career (or so) but I am never too old to keep learning. And thanks for the offer to answer questions. From what I can see, I like your business model and your approach, and I am in awe of your talent. Thanks for being here on REDuser!
 
I only use canon glass for fun mate. It is good, but not the best mechanically. Optically some canon glass is up there with the best. I shot parts of this job on them just to prove a point to the community that you can actually do million dollar projects on it with minimal compromise.
There is a miss conception out there that canon optics are average, when in fact i can mix it with Master primes glass without noticing. During grading, even I was confused what was what...
Good fun glass to own, but Im still a PL fan.


Yes,

I agreed with you 100%, apart the fact that you will see a difference if finished and screened in 4k, I have.

This piece after I revisited is truly great!!

Definitely love the grading on it too, great choices on the pastel chose.
 
Back
Top