Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

SHOOTING an EPIC AD on an EPIC... WITH CANONS & GLASS !!!!

Fantastic. Wonderfully shot and expertly executed. I am watching the movie Amadeus where the narrator is eaten alive by jealousy of Mozart. Your work doesn't make me jealous at all, it is a map to where I want the quality of my images to be. Thank you for that and being so generous with your knowledge.

I have a question on using autofocus. When I used it I would focus on a corner, but when I went to roll the lens refocused. Is there a way around this?

Thanks
 
Fantastic. Wonderfully shot and expertly executed. I am watching the movie Amadeus where the narrator is eaten alive by jealousy of Mozart. Your work doesn't make me jealous at all, it is a map to where I want the quality of my images to be. Thank you for that and being so generous with your knowledge.

I have a question on using autofocus. When I used it I would focus on a corner, but when I went to roll the lens refocused. Is there a way around this?

Thanks


I did not use the AF to much... Only when I had to hit a sharp quickly and when I wasn't sure if I was pin sharp or not... The AF for finding pins is a lot better than a focus puller can do. that's for sure.

To stop the AF re-focusing again after you have set focus, push the button down quickly.. not slowly. If you do it slowly, it will think you wanting to refocus again... And leave in on single focus not continuous when doing that.
 
I'm always amazed by the grading possibilities of Red footage. This is just plain messing around with jpegs in Photoshop, I can't imagine what a pro could do with raw files in grading suite! So many places you can go with it, exciting. Btw, great shots as they are Mark!

99years01.jpg


99years01s.jpg
 
Man Mark, Epic is an understatement, this is huge, gargantuan. very well executed. Great job
 
Narrowing down the glass....

Narrowing down the glass....

Hi Mark,

Knowing that every lens is unique, etc, I'm thinking of picking up either the Alum or Ti Canon mount, and testing some of my Canon L glass. My Red 18-85 is awesome, but, handheld.... uhm... no! :D


I'm also wondering if you see any major sharpness differences between Canon zooms (say the 24 to 70 2.8 L) and non-zooms.

If you were to put a canon kit together from scratch, what would you include as your top five or six pieces of glass?

Thanks in advance...

-Glen
 
As always, great work Mark!!
 
Hi Mark,

Knowing that every lens is unique, etc, I'm thinking of picking up either the Alum or Ti Canon mount, and testing some of my Canon L glass. My Red 18-85 is awesome, but, handheld.... uhm... no! :D


I'm also wondering if you see any major sharpness differences between Canon zooms (say the 24 to 70 2.8 L) and non-zooms.

If you were to put a canon kit together from scratch, what would you include as your top five or six pieces of glass?

Thanks in advance...

-Glen

It's a tough one Glen,
I'm not a real CANON glass Fan... I'm still a PL Purest, how ever I am enjoying the freedom the canon glass gives me.

One thing to remember when buying CANON GLASS is to test in store, quite quickly you find out if its sharp or not.
I went through 3 separate 50mm F1.2's before I found one I liked. 2 85 f 1.2's... 2 macro 100's 2 16 to 35's , only 1 70 to 200 zoom.. I have a 24 to 105 ZOOM which came with a camera.. It seems to be more than adequate..

One thing to remember is that you can sharpen in post... which I do all the time to match shots. I have had lenses from all manufactures at one time give me a soft lens... ZIESS MK 3 SUPER SPEEDS.. the 18mm is notoriously soft at infinity... I have a sharp one.. but many are not. I have had soft master primes, soft cookes.. but are totally saveble with good sharpen tools, to bring back to match the sharpness of other lenses used...
In staying this, try to test them before you buy them. I simply take my camera in, turn in on, put the lens on, zoom up the frame and check for myself. If it satisfies my needs, I buy it there and then..

My little canon lens pack I take with me on most jobs (with my PL EPIC KITS AS WELL) are as follows.

16-35mm L 24mm L 1.4, 35mmL 1.4, 50mmL 1.2, 85mmL 1.2, 70 to 200L, 100mm Macro L , 300mm L 2.8 , 600mm L 4.

This keep me out of trouble. :)
 
I'm always amazed by the grading possibilities of Red footage. This is just plain messing around with jpegs in Photoshop, I can't imagine what a pro could do with raw files in grading suite! So many places you can go with it, exciting. Btw, great shots as they are Mark!

99years01.jpg


99years01s.jpg

This sort of looks cool... bit more magazine style.

At the end of the day, there are many ways to go with colour grading. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.. In this case, thats me. :)
 
This sort of looks cool... bit more magazine style..

Exactly. I was looking to destroy the image with micro contrast and over-sharpening, but it actually turned out okay for compressed jpegs that I've tortured. The originals have certain "period look" (which I dig), so I just tried to apply completely different feel to it. As you said - magazine style. Sorry, Mark, I just couldn't help myself with that. It was so fun.
 
Exactly. I was looking to destroy the image with micro contrast and over-sharpening, but it actually turned out okay for compressed jpegs that I've tortured. The originals have certain "period look" (which I dig), so I just tried to apply completely different feel to it. As you said - magazine style. Sorry, Mark, I just couldn't help myself with that. It was so fun.

It's fine, some people may have got the shits, I'm just flattered :)
 
Did you use any filtration...diffusion or otherwise with the Canon glass?
 
Why is this?

The Canon glass in manual focus mode dosn't have any end stops it just keeps rotating...It would be better if it had end stops at minimum and infinity for quick reference!
 
Back
Top