Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Scarlet not showing fstop (EF mount)

Marc Oberdorfer

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2009
Messages
160
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Hong Kong
Randomly having issues with my MX Scarlet, EF mount and Sigma 18-35/1.8 and Sigma 50/1.4 lenses.
Both of them don't show the fstop on screen, where it normally would say F1.8 there is a dash... meaning I now also can't adjust the iris with the touch screen any longer.

I've shot with this setup for 3 years without any issues. Haven't changed the firmware recently and the only thing I could think of was that I put on a PL mount and then changed back to the EF mount...

I've checked all the contacts on lenses, EF mount (front and camera connection side). They are all intact and clean, I just rubbed them down with some cleaning alcohol as I was afraid that condensation may be the problem but still nothing..

any ideas?
 
I get this too and found it was the lens rotating too far on the mount. Try rotating just until you hear the click, then secure with tightener.
 
Same. A power cycle occasionally did the job but ultimately the latest firmware (Epic-x) fixed it for me.
 
I tried power cycling and didn't help. All my EF mount lenses don't rotate any further than they should, not sure what you mean Magnus.

Firmware update is my next step but was holding out on it as I have a shoot tomorrow... thanks for the suggestions.
 
than they should, not sure what you mean Magnus.

Put the lens on gently and as soon it clicks tighten it. If I put lenses on in a rush and put a little too much pressure it rotates a millimetre or so further round and it doesn't work. It's a tiny thing, obviously 3 years of use my mount is just a bit loose. There's a few other people on the forum talking about it. I'll see if I can find a thread, someone else might be able to explain more clearly than me.
M
 
If it's not that, apparently the latest firmwares (released today/tonight) actually says it fixes Canon f-stop-something-or-other. Might be worth a try.
 
Finally gotten around to try all suggestions and none of them worked.

Latest 6.0.40 versions states "Fix loss of Iris control with Canon mounts" but didn't do anything either.
 
Marc -- here are some last-gasp ideas, from the least radical to really winging it:

(1) try setting the Image Stabilizer Off & the AF to MF & booting

(2) go to Menu --> Settings --> Setup --> Lens and see what it says. Save Info for sending to RED. (It may say Unrecognized Mount' ...)

(3) try to find a 'real' Canon EF lens, say the 50mm f/1.4, & see if its f/stop is displayed & can be changed. After mounting a 'real' Canon lens, see if the Sigmas are now recognized.

(4) see if you can find a Canon EF Motion Mount. I find that under 6.0.40, my EF Motion Mount 'sees' & works with my Tamron 15-30, while my plain Ti EF Mount doesn't see the 15-30 at all

(5) if you can live with it, mount your Sigmas on a real Canon camera & set their f/stops. Then use the Sigmas at this 'fixed' f/stop. The Image Stabilization may work. OK, ugly, but this may get you on the air.

(6) least desirable, the 'Hail Mary' effort, try the 6.2.9 Beta firmware.

Please post results, as many of us are feeling our way through the Canon-compatible lens scene & the more we hear, the more work-arounds we'll have in our collective kit.

Best & Good Luck !
Serge

Finally gotten around to try all suggestions and none of them worked.

Latest 6.0.40 versions states "Fix loss of Iris control with Canon mounts" but didn't do anything either.
 
Hi Serge,

thanks, will try your suggestions later this week. Have a shoot tomorrow where a zoom would really come in handy.
So I'm not gonna mess around with anything before the shoot.

I do have a Canon 24-70/2.8 II... will have to shoot it wide open tomorrow, oh well.

The one thing I still don't get is why this happened at all. I've had the camera over 3 years and used it with the same lenses without any problems at all.
 
Marc -- Good luck tomorrow(which is rapidly becoming today). Good that your Canon 24-70/2.8 II is seen by your Scarlet. Please post what you find out (including your shoot !)
Tx -
Serge
 
Marc -- Good luck tomorrow(which is rapidly becoming today). Good that your Canon 24-70/2.8 II is seen by your Scarlet. Please post what you find out (including your shoot !)
Tx -
Serge

Nope, actually the Canon lens is also not recognised... hence I have to shoot it wide open as I can't change the iris on the camera.
Also all Sigma lenses I've used before (18-35/1.8 and 50/1.4) never had issues and should be supported. So there must be something else going on.
 
Marc -- Sorry to hear that your Canon zoom isn't recognized. Do you see 'N/A' for the f/stop ? You might try reloading the 6.0.40 firmware. IIRC, 6.0.40 also updates other pieces parts of the camera, including the mount, depending on what firmware was previously in the camera. Remember seeing any advisory saying other hardware was being updated after loading 6.0.40 ? If reloading 6.0.40 doesn't clear things up, suggest filing a trouble report & sending a log file. Depending on how bollixed up things are, you also might try the New Beta, 6.2.9 ..... (desperate times call for desperate measures ...)

Good luck & keep in touch !
Serge

Nope, actually the Canon lens is also not recognised... hence I have to shoot it wide open as I can't change the iris on the camera.
Also all Sigma lenses I've used before (18-35/1.8 and 50/1.4) never had issues and should be supported. So there must be something else going on.
 
EF mount has been updated during firmware upgrade as well... I don't think it's a firmware issue. To begin with I hadn't changed the firmware at all and suddenly lost iris control. I mailed the bombsquad for follow up, will post here with any results.
 
Woahhh... no reply from the bomb squad since December 5th. Is it now that only people who own Weapon or higher end models receive service or what?
 
So Red customer service has examined the log file that I sent them and couldn't find anything wrong with the camera.
I re installed the latest firmware but problem still persists... what is more odd even, the other day I had my Canon 24-70/2.8 II on the camera and I got the iris read out that time... now it's not working anymore again!

So it's kind of random but mostly it just doesn't work. Last option is to send in my camera to have Red check it out... what a pain... seems like quite some people have this problem and it strikes me as odd that Red has no real solution for this!?!
 
That sucks Brian. I had a shoot recently using Canon 24-70 and 70-200... was stuck at F2.8 but I was lucky enough that it was indoors and lowlight...
but thinking it was an outdoor shoot or any situation where I want more DOF I would be screwed...

Have you contacted Red about this issue? I'm really curious to know if anyone who had this issue had it resolved by Red... in the meantime I shoot all manual lenses where my clients approve.
 
I've been having this issue intermittently on my scarlet MX as well. Taking it off and carefully putting the lens on with a little pressure has been working for me. Kind of a pain so I hope a solution comes up.
 
Meant to update on this issue but forgot...

some of the pins on the EF mount were ever so slightly pushed in further than the others which resulted in a loss of proper connection.
It's very easy to miss, on a glance the mount looked like it's perfectly fine but it wasn't. It has been serviced by Red so if you guys still have the same issue, only way to get it fixed is service at Red!
 
Back
Top