Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Scarlet -- Final predictions!

Just a thought has anyone considered the possibility of a SI2k mini style camera from red, I know that the SI2K mini can fit in your pocket and that it is a professional camera but doesn't necessarily compete with the larger SI2K as they both have a different purpose.

What would the reasoning behind Red releasing such a camera? Maybe a small camera to get those difficult shots that you can't achieve with the larger camera (even though the Red is beautifully compact for a cinema camera). Along the same lines as using super16 in 35mm feature where the 35 is either too expensive to risk mounting somewhere or is just too big.

So "maybe" it could be a camera head, that it is tethered to a laptop or some other recording method via "Red's software".
 
To tell the truth, pocket professional sounds like a bit of an oxymoron. Professional implies higher than average price, but pocket implies closer to consumer needs, and certainly not justifiable at a high price. I wonder how they'll pull this off.
To me, professional means built to be functional and durable, meeting the needs of a professional. What kind of professional hasn't been made clear, but because Red's other products have been geared toward the digital cinema market, it's reasonable to think that's Scarlet's target market, too. But it doesn't necessarily mean high-priced.
 
This have been speculated before. Somehow I do not think is what it is.
 
scarlet viewfinder/WISH POINTS/

scarlet viewfinder/WISH POINTS/

a camera without hd evf cannot be considered professional
when we shoot for big screen focus accuracy is half the business
a very small camera body is not professional as it cannot be handled
accurately for composition and movement-we are talking movies & camera has to move not shake unreasonably.

10bit and 4:4:4 throughout THE ENTIRE WORKFLOW is the bottom end of acceptable image characteristics
for any drama that needs human faces reproduction and photographic atmosphere to touch the audience. S35 sensor important for use with
photographic lenses -as as economic alternative. HDSDI is a neccesity along with CF for wide compatibility
with systems that various companies are using.

SIMPLICITY in WORKFLOW so we dont have to become post-lab-specialists
as we are cinematographers and better spend time in lighting-composing-DIRECTING creatively instead of fighting to organize files.
better than RED ONE performance in TUNGSTEN.
FRAME RATE around 50-60fps is good for cine cameras with capability
of 100-120 fps at 720p-if necessary- to accomodate documentaries.
view LUTS are essential in DIGITAL CINEMA from camera to view stations.
after all i believe THE RED TEAM are way more inventive than me so i hope they will surprise us in a good way.
pe10cine
 
Andromeda

Andromeda

do you remember the ANDROMEDA project
 
Well, a lens is not a camera.

Is a camera a camera without a lens? My definition has always been a complete unit consisting of body and lens. Ya can't have one without the other.

Oh, and where is your prediction? :wink:
 
2K- S35 (S16 would do too, thank you)
CF recording
Raw
Same volume size as a Nikon 40X, shaped like a video camera
Rugged magnesium-alloy construction
Black color
Fix lens or choice mount for Canon or Nikon DSLR Lenses
Manual and auto focus
Anything else, icing on the cake
 
I just tried to start a new thread with this info but I don't think it worked, anyway here it its again:

I just read in the DV magazines’ NAB special issue I got in the mail yesterday that “Also, unlike the Red One at NAB ’07, the Scarlet will actually be for sale at NAB ’08. The first 100 Red One buyers will have the option to be the first to buy the new camera”
How about that!
 
Is a camera a camera without a lens? My definition has always been a complete unit consisting of body and lens. Ya can't have one without the other.

Oh, and where is your prediction? :wink:

No need to get hostile. I'm just saying I'd like a camera (body + lens) around the size of an HVX! If I'd said "camera body only," would that have made it more understandable? That's what I want--a body plus interchangeable lenses. The body can be as "pocket" as they want to make it, if I can have interchangeable lenses.
 
Does anyone know who bought Juan out? I'm not going to NAB this year but if I was I think my favorite game would have been "spot Juan in a Panny/Sony/Red shirt and snap a pic".

He said he was not working for RED. Nobody knows the story. I think he took a load of cash and sold whatever he had to a yet to be named company.
 
Has to come with a lens and be 2K for 7500 or less. Otherwise it just doesn't radically outdo an HVX or EX1. And a really bullet-proof workflow...

-Noah
 
Back
Top