Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

REDCINE: BETA Build 82 Released

I LIKE THE POSITIVE way ...sharing experience.:biggrin:

Well when you have been churning through RED footage for 8 days straight, a 40% speed increase is VERY welcomed. Processing in full was not very practical unless you had several beefy machines, but now a couple new Mac Pros can stay on top of an overnight turnaround. For commercials and such, you need that kind of turn around.

I did notice that if you open an old RC project in the latest build, it will only recognize the first 2GB chunk of a multi chunk R3D file. The remaining chunks are there but do not display a picture. RC crashes if they are clicked on.
 
Im seeing sharpening update on screen.

Does sharpen slider stays on the set value or it resets back to 0 or 3?
Also what view resolution do you use when noticing the sharpening, full or 1/2?

Could you check if Highlight slider shows any change in the frame or histogram in the color menu, please
 
andrew, great link to start from page 12, but do not understand it :*) it is too much technical things for me. So, are you saying that NR, sharpen and details have effect on picture? or not? It looks like it is not working for me.
 
When are we going to see choices for the different DNxHD data rates? Seems you only need to access the QT options already available to every other application so it doesn't seem like a lot of work to do engineering wise...

Michael

Hi Michael

Thanks for your pushing for better integration with Avid.. DNxHD defaults to 185x (25p) on my machine. You?

regards

Michael
 
andrew, great link to start from page 12, but do not understand it :*) it is too much technical things for me. So, are you saying that NR, sharpen and details have effect on picture? or not? It looks like it is not working for me.

I see NR is showing big difference in screwing up diagonal edges but it is working.
Switch to high detail full res and you should see it.
Details, sharpen, and highlight I can't make it to show any difference.

Sharpen should work on edge enhancement and details should just extrapolate more details out of existing RAW data and here is many ways to do it. I think Graeme is, or will be, using what is out there and some current multi-frame details enhancement algorithms are incredible.

You don't want to use too much of CPU power to enhance details if you don't need it or you want the soft look, do you
 
Detail and noise reduction work for me (8-core Mac Pro) sharpen has no effect, and resets to zero when you scrub clips. Effect of the highlight control does not update dynamically - you need to 'give it a kick' by eg adjusting the exposure control. This was the same in 1.0.2 for me, but highlight control updated dynamically in 1.0.1.

A major problem I notice in this version is that it no longer caches to RAM. Previously you could mark a short range (say 24 frames) and loop it at full res high in real time from the RAM cache. Now it decodes fully each time through. Activity monitor shows >700 CPU each time, whereas previously it dropped to <50% on the second run through due to the RAM cache.

Some nice improvements, and some new issues. Overall I'm enjoying watching Redcine evolve.
 
Nick, have you noticed how edges that are slightly off the vertical line get stairs once you put NR at high or highest setting or even if you use details settings on high?
It do not show up all the time only on some frame and some zoom factors so you have to play a bit.

There is vertical red pipe with the white towels/rags on the Jim shot from the race (frame 2522 at no NR is perfectly smooth.
Try to put NR at high or details at high.

BTW I see changes when I put details on high but only if I make the frame 150% the 4K size. Almost invisible at 100% pixel per pixel.
 
Anyone getting a bug where the 'window-burn TC/Reel ID', etc... can't be superimposed over black bar guides? The window burn gets composited behind the guides instead of in front.

EDIT: Disregard.... it's working fine now.
 
DNxHD linking in AVID

DNxHD linking in AVID

When are we going to see choices for the different DNxHD data rates?
Michael

Hello Michael,

I wonder why you need to ouput DNxHD codec as this codec has to be reimported to Avid and therefore recompressed to any AVID codec available?

DNxHD file can't be linked when importing to a project (except of DS Nitris) wouldn't it better that Avid first implement linking (without importing) of DNxHD codec before asking REDCINE to improve their choices for different data rates?

I'm a AVID user (from Xpress to DS) and I find the way Avid handles media a pain......(except DS). And it is incredible that nowadays a codec made by AVID (dnxhd) is not yet recognised by an Avid software without importing?

Thanks for your time.

Patrick:biggrin:
 
I would be happy with this new version if I could actually output video. Perhaps that function should be put into the next version. I have tried three different times with different settings and still get vertical pillars of white as my video.
 
Update:
Build 82 works fine on all our computers

PC
Dual Quad Core 2.6ghz Xenon
XP SP2
Quadro FX4500


MacBook Pro, 17-inch
4GB 667 DDR2 -
2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
 
DNxHD defaults seem to be different for different formats. In 1080p.23.976 it defaults to DnxHD115.

As far as getting a more efficient workflow based in essence and metadata, two things would have to happen - either RED licenses the DNxHD codecs and wraps then directly as MXF so metadata and media are in Avid format, or RED licenses Avid the RED file format and Avid does the work. In both cases, these avenues were not taken.

But I would still like to get an answer as to when we can get a choice of DNxHD codec data rates - simple question, easy to do, needed by lots of people. Seems to be it would be higher on the priority list.

Michael
 
I wonder why you need to ouput DNxHD codec as this codec has to be reimported to Avid and therefore recompressed to any AVID codec available?
Patrick:biggrin:

Patrick - if you encode to a DNxHD codec using the QuickTime codec, the import does not decompress/recompress unless you choose a different data rate than the one selected. For example, if you were to be able to take .R3D files into RedCine, and output as DNxHD36 - the import of these files is just a copy into the Avid with just a rewrap of the essence as MXF rather than QuickTime.

Michael
 
It no longer crashes under 64-bit Vista when I swipe to the right. I still can't load video, but that is OK for now. My log files report new errors, compared to build 74. I will upload to log thread.

On my XPSP2 machine, none of the buttons work. I have not tried to run on this machine before. It is a dual mon setup with the primary monitor being 2560x1600 and the secondary being 1920x1200. The desktop is still visible on the secondary display. I have to use taskman to kill it. I will upload a log file tomorrow when I have access to the machine again. I will also try with build 74 to see if it is a regression or not.
 
Thank you for update.
NR works great!
But Sharpen doesn't work.
I changed the value of Sharpen, but it turns into 0 or 1 or 2 or 3.
It seems that the value of Sharpen displays the value of NR.
NR:Off 0
NR:Low 1
NR:Medium 2
NR:High 3
Sorry my English.
MBP 17" 8600M GT OS 10.4.11 quicktime 7.3.1
 
what exactly is NR (under the color settings)? noise reduction? i am not able to see a difference, but i would like to know what should happen.
 
Back
Top