Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RED MIni Mag Upgrade

Ken Butti

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 20, 2014
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Sydney Australia
Website
www.mediaidem.com.au
I somehow lost my case of 3x 128gb 1.8 Red Mags!
I have an Epic Dragon and will most likely upgrade to weapon so will need Mini Mags anyways.

Do i A.

Bite the bullet and spend the 6.5k now and upgrade to Mini mag
or

B.

wait till weapon announced and potentially get a reduced price on MiniMag.


Question: Will MiniMags be cheaper if they release a new MiniMag with bigger capacity?
Is there any point in waiting it out? If i did wait, i would have to buy some second hand Red Mag 1.8's to keep me operational for the next month or so...
Thanks.
 
This seems like a simple answer to me as your not going too have Weapon tomorrow and you'll be without mags for a long while. How long are you comfy renting mags?
 
the question is, will the price of the 2x512 minimag kit be reduced if they bring out 512 and or 1TB cards?
If not ill just buy now.
 
Buy a couple of second ones. Cheap from someone. Weapon won't be in your hands for at least a year.
Then sell your second had full size mags on the second hand market when you upgrade to weapon and small cards.

Or... But the bullet. With risk of mags getting cheaper over the next 12 months.

I think I just made your decision more difficult. Sorry man.
 
The real question here is whether the Weapon will "benefit" from a yet unreleased, faster MiniMags...
Current MiniMags will work with Weapon, but might be too slow to really unleash what ever the Weapon is capable of - especially the CF version, which this time around will "do more".
Of course - this is all just a speculation. But I would personally wait till NAB and all the info about weapon is released.
So the real two options you are facing is:

A. Wait 2-3 week and rent 1.8" in the meantime

B. Buy couple of the 240GB 1.8" and sell those when you eventually go to MiniMags with your Weapon

If your rental cost in this limited time will exceed ⅓ of the cost of the 2x 240GB - then buy, as you will be able to sell them later and recover at least ⅔ . Otherwise just rent...


:sifone: Peter
 
Hey Mark, Yeah you're right. assuming announcement in April, first few weapons releasing maybe June. i probably wont be getting one till near the end of 2015, and if they do release faster or bigger capacity cards ill make my oney back then.
Thanks guys.
 
I'd get a set of standard mags now. Something like two 240s.

256GB is the best mag capacity for me, so I will wait for these in mini format and for that trade in/discount program for those moving from regular to minis that is in the works.

You'll still be able to sell your regular mags even after Weapon is announced, cause the majority of owners will still rock Dragon for some time.
 
If it were me, even with the new camera coming, I'd just snag some cheap, used 1.8's on here.

We don't know the cost of the upgrade yet. I'd look at the cost of having to get a new card module for the current platform as a lost $1500. It seems it'd be easier to re-sell some 1.8" mags than a side module.
 
Just saw this pic on NFS with a red 1TB Mini Mag in the new WEAPON.
Glad i held out!
Got a set of second hand 256 cards, and will wait for the MiniMag upgrade and some new cards when these are released.


red_weapon_prores.jpg


for more weapon pics, heres the link

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/03/red-weapon-camera-prores
 
Back
Top