Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

RED Armor + Dragon Going Forward: Questions

Terry VerHaar

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 5, 2009
Messages
7,013
Reaction score
2
Points
38
Location
Marin County, CA
Dear RED Team - In trying to solidify my decision as to whether to invest in RED Armor for Scarlet, I find myself looking at a very probable scenario a year (or so) from now and wonder how the Dragon upgrade might relate to the purchase of RED Armor now. So, I have a couple questions I hope you guys have time to answer for those of us deciding whether to get RED Armor -

- If Dragon upgrade is available in the future (12+ months) and we decide to go that route, will the upgrade have it's own warranty period. If so, how long?
- Depending on the answer to the first question, what would be the status of our RED Armor after the upgrade? If Dragon does have a warranty, do the two run concurrently or does Armor lapse because of the status change for the camera, or does it get tacked on the end?
- Conversely, if there is no separate Dragon warranty, will Armor still cover the upgraded camera?
- And, let's say we don't buy Armor now, but do the upgrade in a year or so, would we then have another chance to purchase an Armor program for the upgraded camera?

I realize these may not be things you have decided yet, but they do have very distinct financial implications for our purchase of RED Armor, especially if we think we might want to upgrade to Dragon, and that your "late 2012" time frame proves reasonably accurate. Under certain scenarios, the RED Armor purchase could have a very low likelihood of being beneficial. Thus, it would be very helpful to get some input regarding the above questions.

Thanks. :thumbup:
 
Last edited:
Yes, good questions.

I'd also like to know if the one year default warranty will run out while the camera is still "beta", and how are users supposed to know the difference between firmware and hardware faults in order to make use of a one year warranty?
 
I agree, and would also be very interested in the answer... having around a week left to decide (hoping mine ships on the 1.th, one can still dream :-) )

At the moment i can see no benefit, with just pure limited warranty included.. normally hardware dosnt fail suddenly after it worked for a year, besides wear, usage etc... and these factors are clearly not part of the limited warranty..

so, if i'm totally wrong here, please someone enlighten us, before we make a stupid mistake not take Armor with our Scarlet..
 
havent even got your Scarlet and you are worried about upgrading? too funny Terry!

The upgrading part isn't even the point; it's what becomes of my investment in RED Armor. That's a decision I have to make today and I am just not into wasting money. :-)
 
Dear RED Team - In trying to solidify my decision as to whether to invest in RED Armor for Scarlet, I find myself looking at a very probable scenario a year (or so) from now and wonder how the Dragon upgrade might relate to the purchase of RED Armor now. So, I have a couple questions I hope you guys have time to answer for those of us deciding whether to get RED Armor -

- If Dragon upgrade is available in the future (12+ months) and we decide to go that route, will the upgrade have it's own warranty period. If so, how long?
- Depending on the answer to the first question, what would be the status of our RED Armor after the upgrade? If Dragon does have a warranty, do the two run concurrently or does Armor lapse because of the status change for the camera, or does it get tacked on the end?
- Conversely, if there is no separate Dragon warranty, will Armor still cover the upgraded camera?
- And, let's say we don't buy Armor now, but do the upgrade in a year or so, would we then have another chance to purchase an Armor program for the upgraded camera?

I realize these may not be things you have decided yet, but they do have very distinct financial implications for our purchase of RED Armor, especially if we think we might want to upgrade to Dragon, and that your "late 2012" time frame proves reasonably accurate. Under certain scenarios, the RED Armor purchase could have a very low likelihood of being beneficial. Thus, it would be very helpful to get some input regarding the above questions.

Thanks. :thumbup:

I am bumping this (and quoting myself here) as I am still hoping to get some sort of input on this from RED before Al mount cameras start going out en masse. I fully realize the specifics may not have been decided yet but, if RED would sort of reassure, or at least guide us as to what they are thinking, that would help!!
 
The policy of letting you buy RED Armor within the first year was splendid.
Reinstating that would give RED time to think about all of these questions and their respective consequences.

Agreed. I have to decide now and I'm leaning towards "no". If we were given 6 months I would be all over it.
 
I also agree. While I do see why the new policy makes things easier for RED... in the end, IMHO, it's about giving the customer more options.
 
Very valid questions... And curious to know what's it going to be like...
We all know Red is listening, & i guess at the end they'll work out the most customer friendly option...
Banking on them :)
 
it would be great if we could get armor within a year from our Scarlet purchase, even if it's $500 more thats fine.

Having a hard time between a working Scarlet or a Brain with Armor.
 
Back
Top