Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

open gate in new firmware

Domenic Barbero

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2011
Messages
1,973
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Seattle/Portland/LA
Website
www.domenicthedp.sqsp.com
what is the new open gate mode in the new release build and what can I do with it?
 
"ALLOW OPEN GATEOpen Gate allows the camera to preview images at a refresh rate that is twice the project time base. For example, if the project time base is 23.98 FPS or 24.00 FPS, enabling Open Gate causes the LCD or EVF to have a refresh rate of 48 Hz (50 Hz).NOTE: You cannot use Open Gate when: Varispeed is enabled. Speed Ramp mode is enabled. Genlock is enabled. The shutter angle is 180° or greater.NOTE: When you disable Open Gate mode, the image on the EVF may be disrupted for up to three (3) seconds."

Interesting, makes a smoother view through the EVF I think? I almost always have shutter at 180 so don't think this will do anything.
 
interesting. so its not quite the same as what open gate mode is on the alexa?
 
I think it's to help framing a timelapse, for instance. If you're recording at 1fps, and you pan right to readjust the frame, you get that crappy studder in the monitor. With open gate, you should be able to get a smoother monitor preview in situations like this. But I'm not completely sure, haven't played with it quite yet.
 
It's similar to what we have for RED One.

The camera will allow you to run the preview rate on the LCD/EVF at twice the recorded rate (up to 30 fps). It's useful for removing the distracting monitor stutter at lower frame-rates. We'll have the guide updated shortly.

This was posted when the open gate feature made it into the beta firmware.
 
I think it's to help framing a timelapse, for instance. If you're recording at 1fps, and you pan right to readjust the frame, you get that crappy studder in the monitor. With open gate, you should be able to get a smoother monitor preview in situations like this. But I'm not completely sure, haven't played with it quite yet.

I hope this is the result. Ive tried shooting at a low frame rate for stills, like 4-5-6 fps, and its really hard to look at the monitor and follow action or try and focus.
 
open gate on a Scarlet Dragon @ 24.98fps, might be cool

so there has nothing to do with un-windowing the sensor?

could it be possible to read the sensor at 6k and debayer/downres and record 5k... kinda what the new Prores on Weapons are doing?
 
open gate on a Scarlet Dragon @ 24.98fps, might be cool

so there has nothing to do with un-windowing the sensor?

could it be possible to read the sensor at 6k and debayer/downres and record 5k... kinda what the new Prores on Weapons are doing?

Nope. That's not how that works.
 
On the weapon I like open gate for when I am doing some shots at 4 fps or 12 fps for special effects cinematography, and also macro photography. I don't under stand the comment in the manual on 180 degree shutter though, I find if i go from a fast shutter to 180 I get and error on the screeen, but if I go from a slow shutter (i.e. 360) to 180 it works perfectly. From a EVF perspective, I don't have mine yet, but the open gate reminds me of when I was looking straight through the camera and through the lense ... so is a real good "feel" for me.
 
Back
Top