Bob England
Well-known member
It says right on the main page of RED's site (http://www.red.com/):
5K EPIC, 4K RED ONE, 3K SCARLET.
Can't get much clearer than that.
5K EPIC, 4K RED ONE, 3K SCARLET.
Can't get much clearer than that.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: this_feature_currently_requires_accessing_site_using_safari
Well since Mysterium X for Epic is 5K s35mm, it might just make sense to put that same sensor into Red One. Why degrade it to 4K?
I wonder, though, if Red One is going to need a processor upgrade with the sensor upgrade? Jim?
I would however, probably assume that while the sensor is upgraded, the processing power of the Red One will remain the same, and will become the bottleneck
Well since Mysterium X for Epic is 5K s35mm, it might just make sense to put that same sensor into Red One. Why degrade it to 4K?
Nah. The whole RED philosophy is, was and will be "making obsolescence obsolete". If a processor upgrade is required then it'll be in the upgrade.
Since EPIC is smaller than RED and is doing more work than RED it follows that they'll be able to stick a 4K chip in EPIC and call it RED TWO if they choose to. That's about the only way I can see them "making obsolescence". Their premium cameras have to be truly modular. It's the simplest solution.
If you can easily wait another year for your RED ONE, it begs the question... do you really NEED one?
We will be caught up with reservations and orders later this year. If you pass on your reservation at that time, we will close it down. I think we have been pretty fair letting people wait... but this can't go on forever.
Jim
My reading of Jim's post was, after they are "caught up" with the order backlogs there won't be reservations at all, it will be delivery from stock. So there would be no question of 30, 60 or x days. At that point, a postponed reservation would be no different from no reservation, because you could take delivery immediately either way. (At least, that's my understanding of what being caught up with the orders means.)
Jim, I've been a staunch supporter of RED the whole time. But with all due respect, this is the first time I disagree with you. This is food for thought at this point, but after you catch up, what about allowing 60 days as opposed to 30 in order to get back in to the rotation. This would ease up on the time constraints for you guys, but allow us to hold our reservation. I understand whatever decision you come to, as it is your company, but I was under the impression you were not changing the following policy. This is from a previous post of yours:
"The new, and final policy is...
If you have a reservation and wish to delay your delivery... you can. When you do decide to exercise your reservation, you will send payment and RED has 30 days to work you back into the delivery rotation. You don't lose your place. But RED has sufficient time to react to your decision.
This is our final policy. And while we could change it again just because we wanted to... we won't.
It seems like a fair compromise to those that believed in the RED program early on and the practical constraints of running our business."
To much speculation.
( and thanks Brook, for being very clear about that )