Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Noise on Epic-W at 4K (and general picture quality)

Here's another thought. For those times when you do need to shoot 4K, have you considered ProRes 422 HQ? That would give you a full sensor FOV, downscaled to 4K in cam.

Granted, it's not the same as R3D. But the ProRes files look pretty darn good, considering.
 
Here's another thought. For those times when you do need to shoot 4K, have you considered ProRes 422 HQ? That would give you a full sensor FOV, downscaled to 4K in cam.

Granted, it's not the same as R3D. But the ProRes files look pretty darn good, considering.

And you can always have the R3Ds as a backup, make necessary fixes and then transcode that clip (or clips) to 4K ProRes.
 
6k 96fps would be good compromise to having two cameras (Raven and Epic-W)
is 6K epic much different size from 4.5k Raven? (yes I will look at Phil's chart ;)
 
Hey Steve - Thanks for posting this! It's great there are people on here that whip this stuff out when asked. Looking forward to testing my own.

I plan on shooting 8K most of the time, editing with ProRes proxies, but for those times when I just want a single angle of view and up to 120-150fps, was curious to see what the 4K would look like cropped. I almost always finish in 2K or 4K, but excited to see what 8K can do as well.

Thanks again for this test1




here you go, strait out of RCXP to youtube
https://youtu.be/JWAq-eV6PB0
terrible light, meant for crop reference and noise reference. 1 small incandescent light and small eye light. Rode video mic into v lock io for first clip then all internals


Edits go 8k, 7k, 6k, 5k, 4k, 2k all 8:1 3200 iso, RWG, Gamma4


19mm leica r at 2.8
 
Hey Kevin - Yea I've definitely thought that. I was thinking more of when shooting in fast and you want to shoot in 4K and change frame rates. Unfortunately, ProRes only goes up to 30fps - but it sure is awesome to have! I'll probably be in 6k most of the time - seems to be the best for FOV + varying frame rates + low light capabilities. Excited for it!


Here's another thought. For those times when you do need to shoot 4K, have you considered ProRes 422 HQ? That would give you a full sensor FOV, downscaled to 4K in cam.

Granted, it's not the same as R3D. But the ProRes files look pretty darn good, considering.
 
Kerrin I have to prep gear out in the living room tonight, I will shoot some high frame rate stuff of my stove and sink or something with better light!
 
Back
Top