Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Next Steps for Scarlet Owners??

No regrets at all. Just trying to figure out how to hustle to get the cash for the upgrade lol.
 
I get the higher dynamic range, more frame rates than current Scarlet, higher resolution, swappable OLPFs, continued use of my current support gear, new color science AND, the potential benefits of later going to the mysterious Weapon. Seems like it keeps me on the train a little longer. Even if the ticket to stay gets higher later on, at least I'll be there to make the decision.

THAT!

Plus if you decide not to go for the Weapon - you have a perfectly capable camera for delivering pristine 4K content for years to come. That alone justifies to pay off the SD. Upgrading SMX to SD makes no sense (at least to me) - I much rather buy a new cam and have my old SMX as a backup...

:sifone: Peter
 
THAT!

Plus if you decide not to go for the Weapon - you have a perfectly capable camera for delivering pristine 4K content for years to come. That alone justifies to pay off the SD. Upgrading SMX to SD makes no sense (at least to me) - I much rather buy a new cam and have my old SMX as a backup...

:sifone: Peter

Having a second camera, while tempting, is not something that is all that practical for me. With the upgrade pricing back at $9,500, the "value" of the trade-in is $5K, which I think is probably around market value for a used Scarlet. If I upgrade, I don't have any hassles of selling, including ownership transfer, etc. But, I can see where some folks would find that option quite attractive.
 
I'm in the same boat. Time is clicking and I still haven't made up my mind. I obviously want to know more about Weapon before pulling the 9.5k trigger.
 
I'm in the same boat. Time is clicking and I still haven't made up my mind. I obviously want to know more about Weapon before pulling the 9.5k trigger.



That is the 9.5k question isn't it. So far in my testing Dragon is not enough better that I need it for every project and can rent as needed and all my accessories jump right over to it. I overall just think I will be holding on to the Scarlet MX and just renting where I need. As of right now it doesn't seem like there is much in the way of being able to deliver the image as good as the Scarlet. It will do 3k slomo that upscales well to 4k... just like the Alexa does, so I am not too worried about it still being a solid workhorse.
 
Paying 9.5k for An upgrade ? I'm not sure on the current used price of a Scarlet Mx Brian what is it high5s, 6 , 7 K?

Even taking the lowest figure you are better of buying a new SD . No waiting for upgrade, no ping pong courier delivery with the added costs, no limited warranty issues. Defy anyone to find a better deal even buying new.

Having said that Scarlet Mx is still highly viable and current and will be for the next few years to come. So no harm in sitting on the fence whilst making more $$$$.
 
Yes - one thing I have to remind myself of is that it will probably be a year or more until I go Weapon and need mini-mag.

OK guys, this is possibly a very good place to jump in!

Let us remember that with this "Dragon Upgrade" some of us who bought into the "previous" Adobe CS6 edit work flow are going to have to take a step back using RED Cine X just to get something we can edit with! No more native file editing with this "upgraded" camera!

This is OK with me since I can always go back eventually, with components cast off from Scarlet #0123 to build an Epic MX, which is the optimal camera for this "closed" edit system and the super computer I built to work with my Scarlet MX before I ever bought it!

I think the real question is, "Do you love this company? Do you really understand how RED has pushed the old boys club to open up the market for dedicated filmmakers? DO YOU WANT TO SUPPORT THAT?

This being said, it is important to state that the Scarlet MX is NOT a B CAMERA, it is a B ROLL Camera and the best lower format optional camera on the market!

With the upgrade, you buy an official 5K lip synch with better "skin tones" etc. B or A camera. if you've seen enough from your Scarlet MX to know why you'd prefer to PAY TO MASTER LIP SYNCH FROM 5K; you also get a new sensor to replace your used sensor!

From everything I have seen and heard on Epic MX processing, I tend to feel that it is headed for designation as an EXTERIOR or SCI FI CAMERA, while Dragon can do both, more and Weapon will build on that foundation. The Dragon upgrade is the best choice if you can afford it!

I will upgrade Scarlet #0123 to Dragon to place myself in the center of this evolution with the best choices on either side of my hardware/software!

I will TRUST IN RED and vote for their advancement of modern cinema! They have a proven track record; do they not?
 
Nice words Mark.

I'm in the same boat, with the price back to 9.5k, the upgrade makes a lot more sense again. And on top of that we get a better position for the next upgrade.
But still, it's a big amount of money.

I have not made a final decision yet, but tend more and more to finally do the upgrade.
 
Nice words Mark.

I'm in the same boat, with the price back to 9.5k, the upgrade makes a lot more sense again. And on top of that we get a better position for the next upgrade.
But still, it's a big amount of money.

You're right Maik! It is a lot of money and I have a feeling I will really struggle with the time it will take to convert shots. However, I have already purchased FCP X and a new mac and am just getting my feet wet as to whether this work flow will be good enough for me when combined with CS6??? The up side for Scarlet owners who did not upgrade to Epic MX is that you are really at the top of the mastering mountain. You only have to decide which side (or both!) from which you wish to descend...

I should add that I AM EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED ADOBE CC NEVER PUT A DRAGON PATCH ON Ae CC! I thought they would but the only thing I've gotten out of buying into the MONTHLY BILL for this application was being able to continue updating my CS6 Master Suite. NG!

"I have not made a final decision yet, but tend more and more to finally do the upgrade."

I hope RED will consider continuing the Scarlet MX to Epic MX Upgrade offer in light of the problems Adobe has created for filmmakers.
I think this could help keep their market lucrative in these changing times...
 
I hope RED will consider continuing the Scarlet MX to Epic MX Upgrade offer in light of the problems Adobe has created for filmmakers.
I think this could help keep their market lucrative in these changing times...
I can understand your arguments and why some people want to stay with CS6, but seriously i don't see why RED should make decisions based on that.

They will however offer the trade-in as long as it makes sense for them. Jarred already said RED will continue to build EPIC-X-bodys. So there is no reason why the trade-in-program should stop soon.
 
I can understand your arguments and why some people want to stay with CS6, but seriously i don't see why RED should make decisions based on that.

They will however offer the trade-in as long as it makes sense for them. Jarred already said RED will continue to build EPIC-X-bodys. So there is no reason why the trade-in-program should stop soon.

Quite so! If one looks at this new mastering situation, it would ONLY make sense that RED remain on both sides of the issue!
 
"My first thought was to sell my current Scarlet body. If I could clear $5K for it, I'd be better off."

Since we all know a Scarlet Body does get you into the RED food chain; answer is no!
 
THAT!

Plus if you decide not to go for the Weapon - you have a perfectly capable camera for delivering pristine 4K content for years to come. That alone justifies to pay off the SD. Upgrading SMX to SD makes no sense (at least to me) - I much rather buy a new cam and have my old SMX as a backup...

:sifone: Peter
Peter, did your camera get fixed? What was the trouble?
 
I cant go that far into the future.

Of late I am still trying to decide what to buy with my 9.5K USD.

Helix 4th Axis?
DJI Ronin with Easy Rig?
PL Lens Kit?
DeLorean?

I will stay in the now with the camera that is working for me and is smooth going with my current workstation/workflow :)
 
Still at RDC HQ's, hopefully about to be sent back to me. Yet to hear what was wrong... :(
I bet it will be the same problem that I had. Someone told me that my serial number was close to theirs and they said it would be a bad board, which they also had. And they were right.
 
I can understand your arguments and why some people want to stay with CS6, but seriously i don't see why RED should make decisions based on that.

I think it's more of a food chain thing, almost like fishing, LOL! We've got a couple thousand clients here in the chain; time to put the waders on! Really irritated with not seeing Dragon footage play back on this system in Ae CC! Someone should make a phone cal!

They will however offer the trade-in as long as it makes sense for them. Jarred already said RED will continue to build EPIC-X-bodys. So there is no reason why the trade-in-program should stop soon.

One would hope so! I may yet buy another Scarlet MX just to keep my CS6 imports busy! It might be fun to keep Dragon purely as a Mac work flow too. Hang tough, Maik!
 
Wow! Finaly got my Scarlet Draginized and must say it is amazing to be able to shoot 5K 25p (and above) + 6K for stills! I'm really glad that I changed my upgrade path in the last minute and went Dragon instead of Epic MX.
 
Back
Top