Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

NAB13- Scarlet Upgrade Program

Your best bet is to go Epic-MX now. Use it and let it make the extra cash needed for the Dragon update later. You could not make such a money (or that fast) with Scarlet...
absolutely,
unless you have 20k ready, then just sell your Scarlet for whatever you can and get brand new Epic Dragon, without waiting in line for an upgrade.
 
Cool, I think RED found a good solution without compromising the obsolescence obsolete thingy
 
Many here seems to take for granted RED's frequent and more-then-generous offers that value the used equipment at full cost. Good luck selling used Epic-X at $ 17500...

No offense...

P

The problem with your logic is that I am not selling it used. I am upgrading straight from a new Epic-X to a new Epic Dragon-X, never even putting my hands on the Epic-X in between, right? Assuming I am going from Scarlet to Epic-X to Epic Dragon-X.
 
1) Scarlet to Epic-X for $9500 is more than fair
2) Scarlet to Scarlet Dragon for $9500 seems very interesting but hard to say without more specs, certainly sounds fair to me
3) Epic-X to Dragon-X for $9500 seems weird since the Epic-X is $17500 and with the upgrade you're paying $27000 for a Dragon-X that is going to be $24000 new?

It seems like the problem is with the 3rd upgrade path.

only way I can reconcile the problem with #3 is perhaps that you're paying more to have the luxury of getting it sooner because upgrades perhaps will be done now whereas ordering a brand new Dragon-X will take months for them to start shipping. So you're paying a few thousand more to get it in your hands asap
 
So in terms of future proofing and allowing some time to pass for one to save up for Epic Dragon, the Scarlet -> Epic MX sounds like the logical way to go. The only X factor is seeing how much better the Dragon sensor is, which might make option 2 more enticing.
 
The problem with your logic is that I am not selling it used. I am upgrading straight from a new Epic-X to a new Epic Dragon-X, never even putting my hands on the Epic-X in between, right? Assuming I am going from Scarlet to Epic-X to Epic Dragon-X.

The problem with your logic then is to take for granted the value of your trade-in used Scarlet.
Really - some of you have gotten way too spoiled - no offense...

Try to find anything even remotely comparable with another manufacturer...

P
 
I love you guys! Its like a win win for Scarlet owners. I can't even decide since both ways are just so awesome!!! Once specs are out I think I'll go for which ever model can over crank more, Epic MX vs Scarlet Dragon...PS did I mention I LOVE you guys...
 
Thanks RED Team! This news is very exciting. I can't wait to upgrade my Scarlet to an Epic and then to a Dragon (only if I need, after all 5K is no slouch). I like that we have the option of both.

For those of you who think the math is wrong. It's just business. You have after all been using that camera in your possession haven't you? And it's not like you are being forced to buy a Scarlet then add on an Epic upgrade then add on a Dragon upgrade. If you don't own a camera you can buy a Dragon directly. If you own one you have the option to pick a path. Plain and simple.
 
The problem with your logic then is to take for granted the value of your trade-in used Scarlet.
Really - some of you have gotten way too spoiled - no offense...

Try to find anything even remotely comparable with another manufacturer...

P

Who is taking anything for granted? We are trying to work through the details of these options. Like I said, two of the three upgrade paths seem very generous and that is why it is confusing that the third is so... much less beneficial.
 
So in terms of future proofing and allowing some time to pass for one to save up for Epic Dragon, the Scarlet -> Epic MX sounds like the logical way to go. The only X factor is seeing how much better the Dragon sensor is, which might make option 2 more enticing.

+1!!

One relevant question I missed on this thread is regarding the 'expiry date' of this upgrade program. How long will this program last?
 
There is a sleeper in all of the above...given the higher ISO of dragon .......will you need "the motion sensor mount with global shutter @ $4500" or a whole lot more ND's ?

This is on top of the changeover price ...So $9500 + $4500 (if you need it) = 15K .
 
Yeah, it's 8000$ new
yea and with the now crowded market at that price point like CAnon 1dc, the new BMC cameras, etc., most people won't even want to purchase Scarlet used anymore. Good luck getting even $5000 for used scarlet brain
 
There is a sleeper in all of the above...given the higher ISO of dragon .......will you need "the motion sensor mount with global shutter @ $4500" or a whole lot more ND's ?

This is on top of the changeover price ...So $9500 + $4500 (if you need it) = 15K .

well I'm not sure what's stopping you from still shooting at 800 ISO on dragon
 
Who is taking anything for granted? We are trying to work through the details of these options. Like I said, two of the three upgrade paths seem very generous and that is why it is confusing that the third is so... much less beneficial.

That is because you are thinking about the third as a separate option, ignoring the benefits you gain beforehand...
 
Back
Top