Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

More SSD questions $$$$$

keep in mind, to maximize the speed of the SSD's too you'll need a solid ESATA solution. with the amount of gigabytes moving nowadays, especially with the higher redcodes, higher bandwidth systems and storage will be needed more than ever now. in my book fw 800 is dead to me, it feels increasingly slower every time I have to use it compared to esata. and a macbook pro even with a 2 port esata card you are limited essentially to offloading to 1 drive, and the second drive on a fw 800 and that's just no good either.Lots of things to consider, lot of options. I have playing in my head multiple solutions right now, but until these actually hit the streets it's hard to say what will be the fastest solutions.
 
........but it still means buying a module, a reader, and media that was not there in the pipeline when we laid a deposit for stage 2 so I am just recalculating based on all of the new information.

Basically, it's about 2.5K more to get involved with SSD and it is not a good idea to stay with CF as it is (for all intents and purposes) EOL.

David
To be fair, when we put down our deposits there was no HDRx™, easy HDR, nor Magic Motion or hope for a 7.5 second bootup... and if memory serves, no touch screen focus plus other lens electronic handshake.

Would I prefer not having these extra expenses? Well, yes... but not at the cost of losing the new freebies.
 
To be fair, when we put down our deposits there was no HDRx™™, easy HDR, nor Magic Motion or hope for a 7.5 second bootup... and if memory serves, no touch screen focus plus other lens electronic handshake.

Would I prefer not having these extra expenses? Well, yes... but not at the cost of losing the new freebies.

Very well said Elsie!
 
Agreed. The HDRx will make for some purdy pictures.

So what's the price for the SSD's from Red? Might have missed it on this thread/forum/website?
 
To be fair, when we put down our deposits there was no HDRx™™™, easy HDR, nor Magic Motion or hope for a 7.5 second bootup... and if memory serves, no touch screen focus plus other lens electronic handshake.

You are assuming all of this.

I feel this has little to do with this thread which is to figure what hard costs exist with RED's new plan, which I have tried to figure out based on reduser threads instead of getting it from "official red channels".

You actually have no idea that these things did not exist already. I mean, they were Trademarked before they were mentioned, that in itself takes some lead time.

Don't flame me for asking some questions that a legitimate and longtime RED owner/user decides to and has a right to ask.

there might be a lot of money spilling out of your pockets right now, but just leaving $2500.00 on the table because "you think RED is giving me a lot for free" (which they do) is not enough of a reason to give me gentle reminders of RED's greatness.

I am pretty sure RED can defend itself or delete me for asking the wrong questions if they are inappropriate or not in keeping with the rules of the forum.

Don't let me ruin your RED party, you can keep writing cheques without asking simple questions, but please do not expect me to do so.
 
Cheques = Spanish for checks.

Just to clarify...I agreed with the HDRx being an amazing feature on the Epic's.

Aaaaaanyway, what does that $2,500 figure represent in terms of SSD's? One, two, and with what storage capacity?
 
You are assuming all of this.

I feel this has little to do with this thread which is to figure what hard costs exist with RED's new plan, which I have tried to figure out based on reduser threads instead of getting it from "official red channels".

You actually have no idea that these things did not exist already. I mean, they were Trademarked before they were mentioned, that in itself takes some lead time.

Don't flame me for asking some questions that a legitimate and longtime RED owner/user decides to and has a right to ask.

there might be a lot of money spilling out of your pockets right now, but just leaving $2500.00 on the table because "you think RED is giving me a lot for free" (which they do) is not enough of a reason to give me gentle reminders of RED's greatness.

I am pretty sure RED can defend itself or delete me for asking the wrong questions if they are inappropriate or not in keeping with the rules of the forum.

Don't let me ruin your RED party, you can keep writing cheques without asking simple questions, but please do not expect me to do so.
Hmmm.... did not think I was coming across so strong as to elicit this reprimand. Just was trying to point out that we plunked down our deposit "not knowing" about these things I mentioned and I consider that as icing placed on a creamy centered bundt cake.

Money spilling out of my pockets? Not spilling... pouring. Pouring into REDs coffers.:cry:

If I was flaming you, it was no more than a couple of BTUs... at least from my perspective. And even that was unintended. Just wanted to balance the scales for others.
 
Aaaaaanyway, what does that $2,500 figure represent in terms of SSD's? One, two, and with what storage capacity?

i believe it is the module, a reader and the smallest storage capacity 64 gb,

david
 
Hmmm.... did not think I was coming across so strong as to elicit this reprimand. Just was trying to point out that we plunked down our deposit "not knowing" about these things I mentioned and I consider that as icing placed on a creamy centered bundt cake.

Money spilling out of my pockets? Not spilling... pouring. Pouring into REDs coffers.:cry:

If I was flaming you, it was no more than a couple of BTUs... at least from my perspective. And even that was unintended. Just wanted to balance the scales for others.

cool. It's all good news and we are all very grateful for RED. I want to keep things in check. RED took deposits in MAY for these camera's, then they discovered this technology and we (end users) have to take a small hit (10%) overall price increase to keep up with the development.

Sometimes it can seem like we are a bunch of chumps who will accept whatever we are told (myself included). If this was a car, or some other consumer product you might have a different reaction, but it's RED CAMERAs and we love them.

I am not a rental house or a purchaser for a large company who does not personally absorb the increase.

To the indy crowd owner/operator this kind of "surprise increase" needs to be noted, dealt with and planned for and this is the only place to get clarity.
 
You actually have no idea that these things did not exist already. I mean, they were Trademarked before they were mentioned, that in itself takes some lead time.
there might be a lot of money spilling out of your pockets right now, but just leaving $2500.00 on the table because "you think RED is giving me a lot for free" (which they do) is not enough of a reason to give me gentle reminders of RED's greatness.

I am pretty sure RED can defend itself or delete me for asking the wrong questions if they are inappropriate or not in keeping with the rules of the forum.

Don't let me ruin your RED party, you can keep writing cheques without asking simple questions, but please do not expect me to do so.

The answers to your questions on the first post is 'yes' to all those. (exception, you don't need the base station for the ssd reader)

The drive for ssds came out of the overwhelming requests for lower redcode compression ratios. Off the shelf ssds aren't supported because it takes alot of effort to make ssds work at realtime rates and consistently.
 
Last edited:
I am not a rental house or a purchaser for a large company who does not personally absorb the increase.

To the indy crowd owner/operator this kind of "surprise increase" needs to be noted, dealt with and planned for and this is the only place to get clarity.
Fully understand and in complete agreement. Sometimes clarity is hard to come by. I often find myself questioning my communication abilities as I wonder "Am I the one not making myself clear?

But I understand that things have to come at some price. For me it just pushes my plans farther out. Hope I don't die first. If so, put on my tombstone "He would have been a great movie-maker, if he could have gotten that one last bit of equipment for his camera."
 
The answers to your questions on the first post is 'yes' to all those.

The drive for ssds came out of the overwhelming requests for lower redcode compression ratios. Off the shelf ssds aren't supported because it takes alot of effort to make ssds work at realtime rates and consistently.

Overwhelming requests? I'm surprised anyone can see a significant difference between Redcode 36 and 42!

As mentioned above, in 90% of situations I'd be happy with 5K Redcode 36 at say up to 60fps. Is there any chance of a lower cost (prominently labelled) lower spec SSD to cater for this, with the higher cost highest spec SSD for those with deeper pockets, or specialising in high fps, full resolution, lower compression ratio shooting?
 
Overwhelming requests? I'm surprised anyone can see a significant difference between Redcode 36 and 42!

As mentioned above, in 90% of situations I'd be happy with 5K Redcode 36 at say up to 60fps. Is there any chance of a lower cost (prominently labelled) lower spec SSD to cater for this, with the higher cost highest spec SSD for those with deeper pockets, or specialising in high fps, full resolution, lower compression ratio shooting?

With all due respect, you have never seen Redcode at 5K. I can see the difference between these two in many situations I shoot in 4k. Here are two: a New England town exterior with both brick buildings and trees, and an exterior fall foliage scene with a river in it. Both of these scenes are very hard on a codec. I can not only see the difference between 36 & 42, but in still frames, I can see a lot of difference between both and Nikon raw files. We need the lower-compression codecs if the DSMC idea is going to work.
 
We need the lower-compression codecs if the DSMC idea is going to work.

Agree. This is true for still frames.

Part of what is nice about these discussions is that a good idea emerged here:

Consider making a CINEMA drive that will cover 90% of shooting situations that will be lower cost. Many users might go for that.


david
 
The answers to your questions on the first post is 'yes' to all those. (exception, you don't need the base station for the ssd reader)


Thanks Deanan,

These costs have a spiral effect though.

IE:

Stage 2

RED ONE MX Might need to add SSD to this now ---- 1500

EPIC reader ------- 1500

Media reader -------- 250

media 2 x64gb --------- 1900

Just over 6 grand on things I did not have to consider on deposit last May.


For the record.


I understand that SSD is the better way to go and I understand that you hinge the future technology on this type of media and it makes sense.

I believe it is fair to have a decent idea of what the extras will be and I appreciate you clarifying some of the costs.

We all support what RED is doing, but there has to be some push back. When I see the little rig with the side handle, battery and the touchscreen I am thinking that is a perfect little kit. I'd want that over a built up module heavy rig and I seriously don't even remember what the stage two EPIC is anymore.

David
 
And that's on the cheap end, David, with the 64gb media. I'm with you...it is a LOT more than we planned considering (after the deposit that RED has had for a long time) we will only owe about $15k for the Epic. So, 50% more for the media is a lot. But that said, we're willing to go along happily because it truly is so much better in so many ways. Cost of doing business!
 
But that said, we're willing to go along happily because it truly is so much better in so many ways. Cost of doing business!

Are you able to use that argument with your customers?

:)

I know. We follow.

David
 
i did calculate whatever stage you are plus 15 k usd, u know like with the red 1, it cost me 38 k with all the 3rd party assec.
with epic i want that fat battery module with up to 8 batteries, the pro i/o module,
the new 19mm baseplate, the new tophandle
tgis adds up quickly:)
but i am sure worth every cent
btw there is a cf adaptor asfaik
Thanks Deanan,

These costs have a spiral effect though.

IE:

Stage 2

RED ONE MX Might need to add SSD to this now ---- 1500

EPIC reader ------- 1500

Media reader -------- 250

media 2 x64gb --------- 1900

Just over 6 grand on things I did not have to consider on deposit last May.


For the record.


I understand that SSD is the better way to go and I understand that you hinge the future technology on this type of media and it makes sense.

I believe it is fair to have a decent idea of what the extras will be and I appreciate you clarifying some of the costs.

We all support what RED is doing, but there has to be some push back. When I see the little rig with the side handle, battery and the touchscreen I am thinking that is a perfect little kit. I'd want that over a built up module heavy rig and I seriously don't even remember what the stage two EPIC is anymore.

David
 
Back
Top