Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Mamiya Medium Format Lens Survival Guide

Erick von Schulz

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
213
Reaction score
0
Points
16
Location
Chapel Hill
Website
www.erickvonschulz.com
Mamiya 645 lenses are great for adapting to most mounts. They have manual apertures unlike some medium format lenses and they are a still for the performance you get out of them at the moment of this post.

For some reason I can't keep the format for the list below..


Focal Min 35mm Filter
Length Aperture macro Ap range Focus Distance Equivalent Size
24 mm* f/4 No 4-22 0.3 m/1' 15 mm Built-in
35 mm f/3.5 No 3.5-22 0.45 m/1.5' 22 m 77 mm
45 mm f/2.8 No 2.8-22 0.45 m/1.5' 28 mm 67 mm
50 mm** f/4 No 4-32 0.45 m/1. 31 mm 77 mm
55 mm f/2.8 No 2.8-22 0.45 m/1.5' 34 mm 58 mm
55 mmLS f/2.8 No 2.8-22 0.45 m/1.5' 34 mm 67 mm
70 mmLS f/2.8 No 2.8-22 0.8 m/2.75 44 mm 58 mm
80 mm f/4 Yes 4-22 0.37 m/1.2' 50 mm 67 mm
80 mm f/2.8 No 2.8-22 0.7 m/2.2' 50 mm 58 mm
80 mm f/1.9 No 1.9-22 0.7 m/2.2' 50 mm 67 mm
110 mm f/2.8 No 2.8-22 1.2 m/4' 69 mm 58 mm
120 mmAPO f/4 Yes 4-32 0.4 m/1.34' 74 mm 67 mm
145 mmSF f/4 No 4-32 1.5 m/5' 91 mm 77 mm
150 mm f/3.5 No 3.5-32 1.5 m/5' 93 mm 58 mm
150 mm f/2.8 No 2.8-22 1.5 m/5' 93 mm 67 mm
200 mmAPOf/2.8 No 2.8-22 2.44 m/8' 124 mm 77 mm
210 mm f/4 No 4-32 2.5 m/8' 130 mm 58 mm
300 mm f/5.6 No 5.6-32 4 m/15' 186 mm 58 mm
300 mmAPOf/2.8 No 2.8-22 3.5 m/11.5' 186 mm 43.5 mm rear
500 mm f/5.6 No 5.6-32 9 m/30' 310 mm 105 mm
500 mmAPO f/4.5 No 4.5-32 5 m/16' 310 mm 43.5 mm rear

Zoom Lenses
55-110mm f/4.5 4.5-32 1.5 m/4.92' 34-69 mm 67 mm
105-210mmf/4.5 4.5-32 1.8 m/5.91' 66-130 mm 77 mm


* Fish Eye
**
Shift lens


I have been building a kit the last year and have about 80% of these so far. Once I start shooting some more I will post some pics. There are many wonderful examples on here by Patrick O'Sullivan and a few others..

You may want to start buying up your kit while prices are relatively cheap. I look at them as new C mount lenses. You use to not be able to give them away. Now they cost a fortune for the good ones..


The Mamiya 80mm F/1.9 is going to be a monster in the future I am betting the 200mm F/2.8 APO as well.

Also there are differences out there in lens formats.. The N series has the newer coatings But the C variant is no slouch.
It's up to what you want in a lens..


Duclos is now doing PL mounts for these lenses as well.

Share your images of your tests or shoots with Mamiya lenses here.
 
I've literally tested all of them. I essentially went with the f/2.8s, but also the 35mm f/3.5, and Macro f/4s.

I had Duclos Lenses PL convert them. They turned out real nice. The extra lenses that didn't end up in my set are in a box or sold.

The general concept is you want Sekor C or Sekor C N lenses. The difference generally is Sekor C lenses have a metal body and are a bit older. Sekor C N lenses are generally plastic bodies with newer coatings and in some cases elements.

Mamiya 645 can be adapted to EF or PL pretty easily. I didn't find fall in love with the adapters for the most part and that why I started working with Matt around a year ago for the hard conversion. Something I'm very greatful for Duclos to be offering.

We are all buying these lenses used and manufactured during a different time. Be aware that copy variation is very real. I went through as many as 6 lenses before I found the 80mm f/1.9 I wanted.
 
I've already purchased an adapter for my Mamiya glass to the RAVEN. This will allow me to shoot using the same glass on RAVEN and WEAPON, thereby providing the same glass characteristics to footage from both.
 
Thanks for that list. I'm looking into these for quite some time, but i'm still a little undecided if i'll start to build a set or not.
 
I a,ready have a 9 lens C set and an Adapter, for PL that works just fine. One interesting item to look forward to is the baseball sized 24 may not display distortion on 8K and it is wicked sharp.

Thank you very much

Fury
 
I had left behind the really all Metal hold glass when I switched to the newer Phase One (Mamiya MF Digital Body) and never looked back, most recently bough some more to test against what I already had, then started the cleaning process and the selection process to send to Duclos the best ones...

I would definitely stay away for the 80mm 1.9 unless you have really good eye and the time to buy very many copies and test them adjacent each other on a sequentially set up chart side by side to be able to see differences, I used a Projector, same one I used for my Master Primes... Phil has both taken the time and used his expertise to find a great 80mm 1.9 copy, don't expect to get as lucky, at list not so easy...

I got some of mines Cine-Modded with Focus rings and 80mm Front rings, but the Hard PL conversion Phil has done to his set started after I had already left for a project on which I am still working on in Mauritius and can't send them back, but most likely I will do so once I finish and get my full set sent in for it, as even so I do have a Mamiya to PL mount adapter that locks and works ok, ultimately it is simply best to have a hard PL lock in directly, as the extra spacing provided by ANY adapters will always some how reflect on the final image based on what it does to the rear element proximity to the sensor vs.what it was meant to, in a similar fashion as when we use Extension tubes to gain closer Focus.


11722133_1653989298175072_3576480018142136999_o.jpg
 
I am hoping for a Mamiya mount that goes with the 8k Weapon.
I wish I could use my new Mamya lenses with electronic aperture on it. ; )
 
I am hoping for a Mamiya mount that goes with the 8k Weapon.
I wish I could use my new Mamya lenses with scary games electronic aperture on it. ; )
My biggest advice is to focus on mastering workflow and media management early—good data handling habits will save you far more headaches than any gear upgrade.
 
Back
Top