Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Letus Gimbal

Thanks Tom great pics :)

We have an Easy Rig with the Serene and Flowcine but its for a heavy RED ONE system.

Im still trying to resurrect an older Steadicam (the actual Pro one) to test with the Helix.
 
Hey Marc, so I had a little time tonight to setup the Steadicam/Helix setup one more time and found something very useful to quite down the helix completely and do away with all vibrations. Right now my camera is coming in about 13 lbs, and I was experiencing some humming from the helix, especially when things got tilted. The helix was in pretty perfect balance and couldn't figure out where the humming was coming from. There was even a little vibration now and then which I didn't experience last time I setup.
Well after reading through the online training again, I tried re setting the Helix in the default position, pressing the button 5 times in a row. Presto, the helix is now totally silent and smooth. You might try that out and see if that works for you.
 
Hey Stefan, thank you for all the effort to find a solution and your replies. I´m happy it works for you. For myself I gave it up with a gimbal for the moment. I prefer to stick to the steadicam alone.
Cheers,
Marc
 
Ladies and Gentlemen,
How are you carrying your Helix? Also, anyone using it in treks? If so, how do you carry it in such situations?
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

http://trekpak.com/mens-freerider-pro-30/

Will just fit Helix with Dragon and lens, plus a bit more with a bit of juggling. It is light with a really good harness, It also fully opens back and front which lets you slide the Helix/Dragon in and out easily. They usually have a 30% discount coupon, look around for the current one.

I also use-

http://www.guragear.com/uinta/

Which is a bit larger, but because it doesn't open all the way around ti s difficult to quickly get the H/D in and out. I use it more when I want a light handheld/mono or light tripod rig, with the small module in the bottom for extra stuff and the Dragon in the top. Look at their website for how you can keep the backpack on and swing it around to pull out the camera, while standing up. Great for day hikes with minimal gear.

Both no problem carry on.
 
Thanks Terry.

I again watched Jason Ano's 4 month old video on his findings.

I still haven't seen one that shows a setup from scratch as good as his video.

I shot the USA Football International Bowl week this past week, 90% of the time on the Helix. It was awesome. Can't share too much yet but here's a quick sample:

 
Does the Helix have any HDMI port? I see the SDI port on pictures but not HDMI.
 
That looks great! So smooth. Did you use 4th' axis stabilisation of any kind?
Thanks

Nope, just the 3-axis and the ninja walk ;)

I'm probably going to grab the 4th axis soon, mainly to hang off an easy rig for convenience between shots.
 
Just thought I'd update now that I'm able to share a bit more, here's some assorted footage from the past few months:

[video]https://vimeo.com/scottmclark/helix[/video]
 
Just thought I'd update now that I'm able to share a bit more, here's some assorted footage from the past few months:

[video]https://vimeo.com/scottmclark/helix[/video]


Scott - what profile(s) are you using? Standard ones from Letus or have you tweaked?
 
Scott - what profile(s) are you using? Standard ones from Letus or have you tweaked?

I have tweaked a few different ways. My settings lately have been in this range:

LCznsBX.png


And I generally run a 1-4 degree deadband, 60-80 expo curve. Follow speeds ranging from ~18 - 60 depending on application.

I also run my power offboard, to get the camera as close to fully centered as possible.
 
I have a heavy duty profile from Ken that really works well.

Would love to hear your PID settings if you care to share. I'm testing a heavier setup that will save me transition time from fully built to Helix mode, so this could be really useful. Thanks!
 
Back
Top