Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Lens support extension for Weapon <-> Tokina Cinema Vista lenses

Michael Tiemann

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 4, 2008
Messages
2,216
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Website
manifoldrecording.com
I'm having trouble figuring out the best source for a lens support post extension between my red lens support bridge and the Tokina Cinema Vista lenses. All my web hits go to Wooden Camera or ARRI, whose support posts are not compatible with the RED lens support bridge. Who's using what to interface their WEAPON to Tokina Cinema Vista lenses?
 
I take it you're on the Canon EF Mount?

While I don't use them for the Tokina's (I'm on PL mount) I have these supports here:
- RED's Lens Support 19mm (not currently in the web store I think, but there's vendors out there who have them)
- Bright Tangerine's 19mm Lens Support
- Wooden Camera's 19mm Lens Support

I don't work with 15mm much, but most brands offer 15mm versions as well.
 
I take it you're on the Canon EF Mount?

While I don't use them for the Tokina's (I'm on PL mount) I have these supports here:
- RED's Lens Support 19mm (not currently in the web store I think, but there's vendors out there who have them)
- Bright Tangerine's 19mm Lens Support
- Wooden Camera's 19mm Lens Support

I don't work with 15mm much, but most brands offer 15mm versions as well.

Actually I do have PL Mount. I take it from your response that you believe the PL mount sufficiently robust that it doesn't need the extra support. Note that I have a RED 19mm Lens Support bridge (as well as an Element Technica 19mm Lens Support bridge), both of which interface perfectly with my Fujinon Premiere Pro lens. But that lens has a truly large barrel which reaches down to the lens support tie-down. What I need is an inch-long extension that's threaded female on the bottom end and male on the top end. Or, I just need to trust the power of the Red Ti PL mount.
 
1.If there is a support foot on these (Tokina) lenses the bottom surface location of the foot should conform to the 19mm standards. (actually 15mm mini would be a better choice)
2.If there is no support foot you don't need support
3. If there is a support foot but it does not fit (reach) the bridge they screwed up
 
The support foot is mainly for mounts that are not PL as the weight/length of the lenses could play a factor. It's useful to use though if you are rigging into something vibration prone, i.e. a car mount or whatever.

This is pretty much the same story for most of the cinema primes that feature swappable mounts. PL is nice and secure. EF, E, F, MFT, etc. less so.
 
So is the foot bottom surface the (industry) standard 90mm from the lens center? (mini rods)
You can go from that to 19mm studio bridge pretty easily with adapters....
 
Tokina lens diameter is 114mm and there a small bump with a receiver at the bottom of the lens, so more like 75mm from the lens center.
 
Tokina lens diameter is 114mm and there a small bump with a receiver at the bottom of the lens, so more like 75mm from the lens center.
Usually the manufacturer provides the outline drawings with dimensions. I'm sure if you ask Tokina they will let you have it so you can figure this out...
 
Back
Top