Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Lack of Noise

Mark Andersen

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
1,483
Reaction score
4
Points
38
Age
63
Location
USA
Website
www.rubberball.com
I did a 3 camera shoot for an interview using 2 Weapons and 1 Epic. I decided to do it all 4K because it was going to be HD only online. The Epic footage in 4K was pretty noisy but I was shocked at how good (or how little noise) the 4K looked on the Weapon. There is much more improvement with DSMC2 that I ever realized. One big advantage on weapon is the 4K HD setting actually seems like a viable option for getting a 4K finish when needed, such as greater slow motion etc.
 
Weapon is much cleaner. We shot some Dragon as B cam and Weapon as A cam and it was very noticeable. Weapon looks really good up to 2000 iso. We have been shooting with the Standard OLPF. With our Dragon, I never really took it above iso 640 due to noise (mostly 500 on the skin tone), but I feel very comfortable going above that now.
 
Shooting Standard OLPF on the Weapon, I was shocked at how much it sees into the dark, yet holds highlights like the STH OLPF. I have all three OLPF's, but honestly unless I an realllllllly dark, I will probably stick with the Standard for 99% of my work.
 
Yes love to get some of these R3D stills from you from the weapon and the dragon to compare. With my tests last week, I couldn't see much difference at all with same lens, same settings on both.
I'm sure the weapon is better. It has to be..
But Mark, aren't you the guy who has always been able to get a pretty noiseless image? ; )
 
I didn't see a huge difference in 6K, but when I set both cameras in 4K mode it became very clear that there is a difference. Again this is good news for Weapon users who want to get more slow mo capability or want to shoot long programs in 4 or 5K for efficiency. With Epic I was hesitant to window down in certain situations, such as when the scene was lower key or a bit underexposed, with Weapon I feel much more confident.
 
But Mark, aren't you the guy who has always been able to get a pretty noiseless image? ; )

Yep, Never have issue's with noise... Even with the old R1, If I ever do, I either clean it up in Resolve, or swap to a camera that can handle extreme low light.

The amount of people that email with noise issues (and their R3D) i can usually see in seconds what they have done wrong, and then educate them on how to not fall in that trap again. (Alexa users included)

Majority of time it all comes down to correct exposure and the correct lens for the job.
 
This was one of the first things I noticed. I've even rated a few projects up to 1600 for some "texture" and I was in love with the image.

I definitely agree, even lower resolutions are so much cleaner cropped in. Could never do this on Dragon DSMC1 without watching the colored grain take over. Extremely happy with the new boards and glad I made the upgrade to Weapon. :)
 
This was one of the first things I noticed. I've even rated a few projects up to 1600 for some "texture" and I was in love with the image.

I definitely agree, even lower resolutions are so much cleaner cropped in. Could never do this on Dragon DSMC1 without watching the colored grain take over. Extremely happy with the new boards and glad I made the upgrade to Weapon. :)

I did this just yesterday, shot at 1600 for texture, it was a gritty drug house scene and needed to have a little grit. The look of the slight grain at 1600 is very pleasant. I used Leica Summilux glass at near wide open and was able to shoot in a dimly lit house with mostly just natural light from a few windows. The images where beautiful, in a "run down old house" kind of way.
 
Back
Top