Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

ISSUE with new IPP2 firmware, cam does not work anymore.

Nathan Apffel

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
271
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles, San Diego
We downloaded the beta version a week back onto our Red Epic-W. It worked like a charm. Tested it in and out.

Prepped for a shoot with full confidence that the camera was up to snuff based off 7 days of testing.

Fired camera up for a final white balance, put the camera in our water housing, shut down. Took jet skies out for a one take shot with a helicopter fly over dropping thousands of flower pedals... Raining down at 72FPS... It would've been magic. One chance, one take.

We get into position, they cue the heli, we fire camera up, camera fires up for a second, then shuts down. We try to power up again, it fires up but we are left staring at a Red Logo stuck on screen. Heli flies over, drops the pedals as we scream and bang our heads against the ski. Shot lost.

Every time we fire up the camera now, with different batteries, no cards, no lenses, etc the red logo just hangs on screen.

We tried reflashing the firmware, no luck, still the logo just sits on screen.

Red please help ASAP. We have a log file that was produced on the card. Need this camera up and running ASAP... Not to mention, losing a (what I would call) once in a lifetime shot in front of 100ppl stings both the ego and the credibility. Thanks for the help!
 
I have a shoot tomorrow, I guess I will not change anything tonight......that sucks....
 
I have exactly the same problem! It is shutting down; does not record, when I push any record button, says attached module is not supported - pleas shutdown; it's even stopping during 4K ProRes recordings!
We've been shooting six webisodes for a big supermarket in Germany.. Everybody was on set - about 20 people and me behind the camera freaking out, because the camera fucked our production.
Even the agency joked about us, that it wouldn't happen with an arri camera...

This should not happen with a 60K camera!!
 
I have exactly the same problem! It is shutting down; does not record, when I push any record button, says attached module is not supported - pleas shutdown; it's even stopping during 4K ProRes recordings!
We've been shooting six webisodes for a big supermarket in Germany.. Everybody was on set - about 20 people and me behind the camera freaking out, because the camera fucked our production.
Even the agency joked about us, that it wouldn't happen with an arri camera...

This should not happen with a 60K camera!!

This firmware is only a beta so far.

I understand your frustration but RED explicitly notes that Beta firmware versions should not be used on real life productions !!! for exactly that reason. On the release versions the cameras are stable as hell. can't really blame RED if you guys are runing beta firmware on commercial shoots.

I had similar issues though, the camera wouldn't boot properly and then got stuck with a white screen after the red logo appeared. the issue is the IPP2 setting in image. hold the power button pressed for 30 sec to reset the camera, then it should boot ok when it's back to the old color science settings, did the job for me.
 
the last full build was feb v6.3.78 - roll back
 
Hey Tim, we tried rolling back multiple times, but the firmware on the red mag isn't being recognized by camera. The camera fires up, both lights blink green without end, and the red logo hangs on screen... Until we hard shutdown the camera. If there are any other thoughts please let us know!

I would love to avoid having to send this into Red as we are supposed to be shooting for the next 7 days on this rig.
 
Hey Tim, we tried rolling back multiple times, but the firmware on the red mag isn't being recognized by camera. The camera fires up, both lights blink green without end, and the red logo hangs on screen... Until we hard shutdown the camera. If there are any other thoughts please let us know!

I would love to avoid having to send this into Red as we are supposed to be shooting for the next 7 days on this rig.

The Beta has issues recognizing the DSMC2 side handle properly, take the side handle off, reset the camera to defaults and try flashing that way.
 
Hey Dominik, we took off all modules, even the damn canon mount. Haha. Any other advice/ things you can think of? I am at a loss scratching my head here.

thats the end of my rope too. When my camera was stuck on booting, I unplugged the LCD and reconnected it, that surprisingly worked. not much to go by though sorry.
 
hold the power button pressed for 30 sec to reset the camera
 
You guys are nuts using beta on big gigs

Never do that!
 
As Tim pointed out, make sure you do the factory reset.

Plus, do not forget that the OLPF is just like a module. Remove it along with everything else, then rebuild with the rolled back firmware.
 
Keep in mind that every log file that gets sent to RED is going to help massively in their effort to reconcile these issues. However, it is beta software intended for testing. This is just like the Jinnimag thing all over again. When you put BETA software on your camera and it fails on set, will you take the blame, or put it on RED?
 
Make sure you run on AC power - I had a reboot issue that was battery only.
 
Thanks for all the advice!

Alexander, this is nothing like Jinnimag.

We have been shooting red for almost 8 years and are very confident in the camera and what Red does. There is no blame being passed around, we love Red and any issues that have come up with our cameras, Red has always been there to help.

We tested for 7 days and didn't see a single issue. That is why we made the decision to use the Beta (being aware of the issues that people have had on this forum with the Beta software). Its just a bummer that a completely new issue, that I hadn't seen reported happened, and of course Murphy's Law always likes to come into play.

Again, thanks guys for the advice, talking with Red Support now to fix this.
 
There's always a first time for everything right? It's frustrating that this happened on a "once in a lifetime" shot, but I hope this thread serves as a deterrent to anyone who would run that risk on a paid gig. Only time I'd run beta is when the client tells me they're paying me in "exposure"
 
Back
Top