Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Is it worth it to sell a Raven in 2020?

Joined
Jan 18, 2017
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Los Angeles
Website
www.shotbyfinnegan.com
I bought my Raven in 2017 and used it on a handful of commercial projects that year and in 2018. But in 2019 I found myself doing a lot more digital work which didn't require such high end cameras, and now my Raven kind of just sits in a case and has for almost a year. I don't rent it out because I dislike the idea of someone I don't know using such an expensive tool of mine, even with the proper insurance, and the rental costs for Raven in my area (LA) are so low ($135-200/day) that it's barely worth the risk.

I'm considering trying to sell the whole package, but with the camera being relatively old I'm wondering if it's even worth what I could get for it in 2020. The camera's in great condition, it has low hours, and is a full package (batteries, media, support, etc.) - but I'm not sure that I could get a reasonable amount for it at this point in time. It might be more worthwhile to hold onto it and use it where and when I can, and hopefully over time I'll make more money off it.

What do y'all think? Is selling a Raven in 2020 a futile effort, or are there still people out there looking to get their hands on one for a reasonable price?
 
While I have a top end Helium...I still keep a Scarlet MX. You know why? Cuz it records compressed wavelet .r3d. Selling it would get me nothing. Using it gets me ahead every day I turn it on. YMMV.
 
Iif you doubt you ROI after 3 years then my advice is to sell. You can still get some money back. When Komodo is out I think there will be a quite hefty price drop for all dmc2 cameras, new and especially for used cameras.

I would try sell it in bits, its a good backup /b camera to any dsmc2 holder think many would like to buy it without accessories. And the same for touchscreen, evf, battery plate and such all those holds pretty good value.
 
At first I was very hesitant to let my friend use my camera let alone to rent my camera out to strangers.. but, after the first scratch and the second and the third... I'm now renting my camera out to just anyone under my direct supervision. Surprisingly the demand is quite high and it pays itself off in a year of rental only income. It is a tool, a great one, don't let it sits for too long.
 
At first I was very hesitant to let my friend use my camera let alone to rent my camera out to strangers.. but, after the first scratch and the second and the third... I'm now renting my camera out to just anyone under my direct supervision. Surprisingly the demand is quite high and it pays itself off in a year of rental only income. It is a tool, a great one, don't let it sits for too long.


Direct supervision? So you're only doing wet hires and not dry hires?

A bit different perhaps from the OP, unless he is getting hired on to the shoots as well for a labour fee on top.
 
I would be tempted to sell mine for that price, even though mine is a much better pkg. But the way I'm thinking now is the RAVEN will be a great B cam to the Komodo.

And, by adding an adaptor I am able to shoot using a MF lens that I doubt I could shoot more pleasing footage using just about any other camera. But still, that price for everything (since none of it fits a Komodo) would go a long way toward outfitting two Komodos. '-)
 
Direct supervision? So you're only doing wet hires and not dry hires?

A bit different perhaps from the OP, unless he is getting hired on to the shoots as well for a labour fee on top.

I applied some additional fee as a "technical advisor" and mostly just sitting there talking with the production team assisting them with technical support if they are not familiar with the camera (mostly the indie guys).. But for those seasoned pros with bigger team I just drop off and leave the camera with them and pick it up later when they are finished.
 
At this point, I’m not sure there would be too much demand for a Raven at $9,500 when you could get an Epic Dragon or a lower DSMC2 around that price, let alone competing digital cinema cameras. If you have it then by all means keep using it, it would be something a little heavier duty than a Blackmagic Pocket 4K and it is a 4K-capable R3D camera after all with the signature RED look to boot. I still keep my 5D Mark II around despite having a Nikon D850 and the potential to pick up a used Sony A7R II for not a lot of money. It’s still a heavy duty camera and 21 megapixel full frame stills are still very handy for texture gathering and general photos. But if you aren’t going to use the camera then by all means get what you can now while you still can as NAB is just around the corner.
 
At this point, I’m not sure there would be too much demand for a Raven at $9,500...

for just a brain, I certainly wouldn't pay that much. It would take a pretty pkg. to get the price up to that.
 
Well, my thoughts as someone who is looking at purchasing a first RED are as follows.

After all the research I’ve done in the past week I know I’d love to have DSMC2 Gemini. Low light performance means more to me than an 8k sensor on a Helium. The price is steep for what I plan to use the camera for so a used Gemini would be a better bet. Waiting for REDs certified pre-owned thing to live up with all the upgrades they’ve been processing.

Considered getting a scarlet-w or epic-w to send in for an upgrade and save about $5k but still get a new Gemini from RED from the whole upgrade process. This depends on price of donor cam of course but savings would pay for all other accessories I want.

Then I was like - why not just get a Raven as a first RED. It’s DSMC2 accessory compatible so I can ease into Gemini when the time is right and just have to switch body/brain - and keep all accessories. So I looked On eBay and cheapest in great condition brain-only is $5999. For $2k more I can get a scarlet-w or in some cases epic-w. Hmmm.

So with all that said - and after reading all 300+ pages of Komodo thread - it would be absolutely crazy for me to buy a Raven for anything over $3500 if I can have a brand new Komodo for $6K.

In conclusion - if you are asking yourself if you should sell and can push it for $6k - do before Komodo comes out. Once that boat sails you’ll probably decide to keep it as no one will want to pay more than $3k for it after that. IMHO.

Just my opinion from all the research. Complete noob to RED - however, that makes me a perfect potential candidate for something like your Raven. I’m your market ;)
 
Back
Top