Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

  • Hey all, just changed over the backend after 15 years I figured time to give it a bit of an update, its probably gonna be a bit weird for most of you and i am sure there is a few bugs to work out but it should kinda work the same as before... hopefully :)

Installed build 3.0.0 and now my camera is whack

frazer

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2007
Messages
95
Reaction score
3
Points
8
Location
Oakland, CA
Website
www.frazerbradshaw.com
I installed build 3.0.0 yesterday. Shot some tests that seemed to go fine, until today when I put the SSD mag in the reader to find that nothing was there.

And now the camera is behaving in an unfortunate manner:
-digital noise is present across the LCD and EVF screens, and most notable in vertical green lines down the left and side (which is hidden behind the camera image, but shows up top to bottom on the shutdown screen).
-the histogram is having convulsions, flashing between different readings that seem only vaguely related to what's on the screen. Stop lights are also having blinking convulsions.
-camera has difficulty recognizing SSD media, and when it does, fails when it attempts to format. 3 different SSD cards have been tried.
-camera won't take reinstalls of firmware (well, it acts like it does, but nothing seems to happen). I've tried going back to both 2.0.5 and 2.0.8 and neither has taken (when I reboot and check system info, it's still build 3). I've tried reinstalling build 3, and nothing changes.
-camera won't go into record, when it does see SSD media.

Also since installing build 3.0.0, it has, upon booting, told me that the camera had not been shut down properly, when it had been (or at least it appeared to have had been).

I suppose it's possible that this is totally unrelated to build 3.0.0, but it was running happily on 2.0.8, prior.

I've filed a tech support request with RED, but experience tells me that the great mind of RedUser is often more powerful than RED's techsupport, so I figured I'd inquire while I was waiting.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Cheers,
Frazer
 
We had almost the exact same symptoms when we first upgraded the firmware on our Epic (2_v2.0.2) - vertical green lines, camera wouldn't take reinstalls of firmware, etc. In the end we returned the camera to RED for what I was told was a board replacement. The camera had worked flawlessly until we attempted to upgrade the firmware and then the problems appeared. Since the camera was repaired we have upgraded the firmware twice without problem.
 
Hey Frazer,

When attempting to roll back, are you doing a "force_upgrade" (preferable in this instance), or just a standard "upgrade"?

Can you also try to "restore" the camera to the factory settings prior to loading the FW?

I would also recommend reseating the Side SSD Module, which could be part of the problem.
 
No side handle no screen no red mote and be on AC power when doing the upgrade.. just the tips I got.
 
No side handle no screen no red mote and be on AC power when doing the upgrade.. just the tips I got.

hmm... i've always had a screen plugged in when I do my upgrades, and usually side handle too. Hasn't given me any problems. But by not havining it attached i'd imagine should eliminate them as sources of problems in a failed upgrade?
 
best practice is to remove REDmote and Side Handle when upgrading. LCD is ok.

If you can get the camera to write a log file, definitely do so and email it to me.

I would feel most comfortable if we can have a look at your camera. If you happen to get it working with all these good suggestions, awesome... however, should there be an underlaying issue that could resurface, I would prefer to nip it in the bud.
 
hmm... i've always had a screen plugged in when I do my upgrades, and usually side handle too. Hasn't given me any problems. But by not havining it attached i'd imagine should eliminate them as sources of problems in a failed upgrade?

The only way an upgrade can "fail" is for it not to upgrade at all (or brick the camera if the power is lost at a very inopportune time - which is a very very small window by the way).

If your camera is acting incorrectly after an upgrade it is not because of something you did (or didn't do) during the upgrade. It is most likely due to a bug in the new firmware (or a hardware issue that happened to be exposed by the new firmware). So please contact RED support and supply a log so we can correct the problem.
 
Hi everyone, and thanks for the responses and suggestions.

At this point, it sees all my SSDs as unformatted, so it won't try to write anything to them. And still, when trying to format, it fails. So no way to generate a log, unfortunately.

I've in conversation with Brian Clark, and his suggestions have been pretty much the same as you guys. So I'll talk to him about getting an RMA # and sending it on in for a check-up.

Thanks!
Frazer
 
Hi everyone, and thanks for the responses and suggestions.

At this point, it sees all my SSDs as unformatted, so it won't try to write anything to them. And still, when trying to format, it fails. So no way to generate a log, unfortunately.

I've in conversation with Brian Clark, and his suggestions have been pretty much the same as you guys. So I'll talk to him about getting an RMA # and sending it on in for a check-up.

Thanks!
Frazer

Frazer - same as we experienced - unrecognized SSD and format problems with the SSDs. We actually seemed to somehow fry one of our SSDs in the process and that was not covered by warrenty - so be careful.

David
 
Hey David,

Whew! Fried an SSD? I've got 256s, so $3200 is not worth risking on further experimentation, though I'm quite sure I've exhausted the options. I'm hoping for an RMA# shortly and overnighting back to RED.

Thanks,
Frazer
 
We actually seemed to somehow fry one of our SSDs in the process and that was not covered by warrenty - so be careful.

That sent a chill down my spine. Did you tell RED about this? I sure would love to see an ultra-low capacity, cheap, SSD just for firmware upgrades.
 
That sent a chill down my spine. Did you tell RED about this? I sure would love to see an ultra-low capacity, cheap, SSD just for firmware upgrades.

Wow, with this in mind a lower cost just for upgrades SSD card would be something everyone should have...anyone from RED chime in here as using the more expensive cards isn't worth the risk if something goes wrong.

PLUS 1 for a smaller SSD card for upgrades...and as soon as possible, just makes good sense.

So can this happen for everyone RED team?
 
Hey David,

Whew! Fried an SSD? I've got 256s, so $3200 is not worth risking on further experimentation, though I'm quite sure I've exhausted the options. I'm hoping for an RMA# shortly and overnighting back to RED.

Thanks,
Frazer

RED was aware of the SSD failure during the firmware upgrade problem but felt there was no way for them to determine the cause or the timing of the failure of the SSD. Fortunately our SSD was just a 64GB and we were so very happy to have the camera fixed under warranty, back in our hand and functioning perfectly that we didn't pursue it further. If your experience is truly a repeat of ours I think a rapid RMA is hands-down the thing to do.
 
Wow, with this in mind a lower cost just for upgrades SSD card would be something everyone should have...anyone from RED chime in here as using the more expensive cards isn't worth the risk if something goes wrong.

PLUS 1 for a smaller SSD card for upgrades...and as soon as possible, just makes good sense.

So can this happen for everyone RED team?


++1
 
Frazer - any update on the problems/cause and fixes?
 
Back
Top